How to extract and edit a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to extract and edit a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios

How to extract and edit a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios.

For this guide we`ll use a Phoenix bios update for lenovo AMD models: 320-15AST, 320-17AST, 320-14AST as an example how you can extract the bios and edit it to the correct size for bios programming.

Download the bios update from: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer...s/5pcn20ww.exe
    EDIT: The bios has been added to the post as the link may go dead.

The bios update needs extracting twice,using extraction software first then using the command line.

Extract the 5pcn20ww.exe using UniversalExtractor RC2 ,or innoextractor from github.
    https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtra...ExtractRC2.zip

After you`ve extracted the first exe check if the 5PCN20WW.exe is a phoenix TDK bios by looking at the file details,right click on the exe - select properties then the details tab.

Next,make a new folder on your C: drive called TDK,then move or copy the 5PCN20WW.exe into that folder,then you need to use the command line,as admin, and change to the directory of the TDK folder.Press the enter/return key after each of the commands:

cd C:\TDK

5PCN20WW.exe /ext

Now you should have a bunch of files inside the TDK folder including the bios (bios.cap) capsule.The capsule header needs removing but cannot be extracted using UEFITool,which is one of the popular methods to remove a capsule header from some bios vendors so it needs editing with a hex editor.
    I use HxD,its free and the latest version includes a portable edition: https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20

Open the file bios.cap with HxD. Click on Edit - Select block or use Ctrl+E .The length of the header we need to remove in hex is 318 ,set the Start-offset at 0 and the End-offset at 317 and click on OK . Delete the selected part using Edit - delete ,or the Del/Delete key on your keyboard.

Next, select Edit - Select Block or Ctrl+E and set the Start-offset at 0 ,click on the Length button and enter 800000 (as the length), or choose the End-offset instead and set to 7FFFFF.

Next, select Cut or Copy. Make a new file using Ctrl+N or File - New ,then select Edit - paste insert or Ctrl+V to paste into the new file.
    Select Save or Save as to save the new 8,192KB 8MB bios.

Just a sidenote: Some other phoenix bios headers need cutting from 0-1E7 (length 1E8),after selecting the bios/bios update length check the last hex line of your backup to make sure it matches.

NEW SIDENOTE:Some newer phoenix bios headers need cutting from 0-31F (Length 320)

Another new sidenote: Some older bios updates have a header from 0-1CF (Length 1D0)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-09-2023, 06:33 AM. Reason: Added bios update to post
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Re: How to extract and edit a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios

Thanks@smdflea. Though the process to extract these sort of file is known to some of us, it will still help a lot of members here.

Comment

Back about this great tutorial , for intel models and if the bios.cap was crypted , is there any solution or soft to decrypted !

Comment

good job.sticky thread?

Comment

Originally posted by lapfix View Post
          Back about this great tutorial , for intel models and if the bios.cap was crypted , is there any solution or soft to decrypted !
          The Lenovo bios.cap files aren't crypted, they just have a capsule header. The guide is only for phoenix TDK packed bios'es.
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 10-16-2020, 12:13 AM.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

thanks for this good info. i learned something here and i would request to get more education from you
            Last edited by piernov; 01-22-2021, 07:44 AM. Reason: remove full quote of OP

Comment

thanks for all my teacher

Comment

thanks you teacher
                great job

Comment

Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-16-2021, 02:19 AM. Reason: Removed full OP quote

Comment

thank you so much.

Comment

Hi all. What extention do you give the edited file?*.bin,*.cap?
                      Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by nediam_nori View Post
                        Hi all. What extention do you give the edited file?*.bin,*.cap?
                        Thanx
                        *.bin or *.rom

Comment

Thank you so much.

Comment

If using thinkpad self extracting exe file, like "Thinkpad BIOS Update Utility", then this utility extract some file like *.fl1,*.fl2 files; then how cut and grap the bios blocks?

Comment

Originally posted by hcggbe View Post
                              If using thinkpad self extracting exe file, like "Thinkpad BIOS Update Utility", then this utility extract some file like *.fl1,*.fl2 files; then how cut and grap the bios blocks?
                              With a hex editor

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                With a hex editor
                                thank u r graed'

Comment

Originally posted by munir100 View Post
                                  thank u r graed'
                                  hp and dell bios leates gen how to extere

Comment

Originally posted by munir100 View Post
                                    hp and dell bios leates gen how to extere
                                    This thread topic is for the "Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios" only.

Extracting HP and Dell bios updates are mentioned throughout the bios requests threads

We do have a sticky thread called "BIOS guides, methods, resources and tools"

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...45&postcount=8

If other members can make some guides we will gladly add them to the sticky thread. Myself and piernov can`t do everything ourselves.
                                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-12-2023, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Just a sidenote: Some other phoenix bios headers need cutting from 0-1E7 (length 1E8),after selecting the bios/bios update length check the last hex line of your backup to make sure it matches.

NEW SIDENOTE:Some newer phoenix bios headers need cutting from 0-31F (Length 320)
                                      Is there a list for what models get cut where or how can I know?

I have a X1 Carbon 5th Gen (.FLA1, .FLA2 Update Files For the Bios And EC).
                                      Where do i trim, and how is the EC update done?

Currently I get powering on issues and on a boot "ME FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed" cause I need to apply latest update?

Comment

Originally posted by coolshrimp View Post
                                        Is there a list for what models get cut where or how can I know?

I have a X1 Carbon 5th Gen (.FLA1, .FLA2 Update Files For the Bios And EC).
                                        Where do i trim, and how is the EC update done?

Currently I get powering on issues and on a boot "ME FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed" cause I need to apply latest update?
                                        Off-topic,but it can be done the same way by hex editing.Maybe someone else will post a guide/tutorial.

Comment

Working...
                                        X