Samsung UN55C6500VF strange display problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN55C6500VF strange display problem

Hello, I have this strange problem on this TV. To try and best describe the problem, imagine the screen divided into 4 horizontal sections (each representing 25% of the display). Sometimes the top 25% section will be dim. At other times, the top section will be fine but the second 25% section will have fine horizontal lines through it and the top half of the display will look good aside from the horizontal lines while the bottom half kind of looks like a compressed jpg image. Not terribly bad but not quite right. I have replaced the T-con board as well as the main board with the exact same result. Is it possible that the problem be the power supply board?

I have attached the best image I could take. It's hard to see the lines but you can look at Jack Sparrow's lips and you will see one horizontal line

Thank you for any help. I really appreciate it!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mitsu2k; 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM.

Re: Samsung UN55C6500VF strange display problem

This looks like a panel failure. You could try flexing the tabs on the bottom of the panel to see if the problem disappears and when I say flexing I mean pushing on the tabs. These are the ribbons that go from the driver boards on the bottom of the panel to the panel itself.

Of course try unplugging all cables from the tcon and reconnecting them make sure that their firmly seated.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

There are only two ribbons on the bottom of the panel and those two are connected to he T-CON board. I did flex as well as clean those cables to no avail. Not even a flicker or anything when flexing them. I also did the same with the other ribbon cable that goes from the T-CON to the main board. Same result.

Is it possible that the power supply board (with built in LED power section) can be supplying maybe weak voltage or something to the main board?

Comment

Ok the ribbon cables im talking about are underneath the metal shield inside the panel you cannot see them unless you remove the metal frame that surrounds the panel that you'll see these ribbons going from those boards which are the top boards or the bottom boards of the panel and those cables connect into the panel itself there's about 10 to 15 of them.

Comment

freakaftr8 is correct, you need to trace the 2 output ribbons from the t-con which go under a metal cover. Unscrew the cover and you should find 2 long pcb's with 3 or 4 ribbons coming of each board feeding the display. I have photo's but are too large to upload to site

regards,
          Mike

Comment

Ok I understand what you gentlemen are talking about now. Question, which screws do I need to remove to take the back metal shield off? I have the bezel and all boards off right now but I don't want to go removing unnecessary screws if I can avoid it.

Thank you!!

Comment

Samsung UE40D6530WK photos but principal is the same, the screws could be very small countersunk crosspoint.
              Attached Files

Comment

You guys are the BEST!! Thank you for freely sharing your knowledge. I see exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately I am unable to do a live test right now because earlier I made a stupid mistake and fried my power supply board. So now I'm going to try and find a new one.

I did however see the 4 ribbon cables adhered to the two long boards you mentioned as well as where the T-Con ribbon cables are connected. As I see it with the cables at least, there are 6 potential trouble points. The two cables connected to the T-con board are fairly simple because they have connectors. I'm hoping those may just need re-seating or cleaning. However if it's one of the other 4, those are somehow adhered to the boards. Is there anyway to re-adhere them if needed? Like maybe a heat trick or something?

Mike: Thank you for the photos. They saved my butt!
                Last edited by mitsu2k; 12-01-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

There are no way of disconnecting and reconnecting these ribbons as they are bonded to the panel.

Comment

I don't mean actually removing them. I just thought there may be a way to heat them and maybe re-press them so the bond holds.

Comment

okay well heating up may not do any good you might actually cause more damage that way if I were you I would press on where the ribbons attach into the panel face also give a little push on the ribbon IC chips 2 to see if the problem straightened out I would focus more on the two end ribbon cables more than the middle

Comment

I will do that. Thank you so much! I'll report back once I can test.

Comment

Working...
                        X