Sanyo FW55D25F stuck in color test mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sanyo FW55D25F stuck in color test mode

Taken close up pictures of the tcon/long thin board connected to the screen. Will be testing voltage at test points when i can. I will try to get get voltage reading at different part locations and list those voltages.
    Attached Files

Comment

The scribbles in post 24 are useless, here's an example of voltage readings and how to report them, start with power supply voltages with everything connected: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...oltage+testing

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee.warrior View Post
        the 21 volts and 13 volts at the one side of the main board connector are what they are suppose to be, but the voltages i am getting at the other end if the connector are not listed what they are. I was just listing the voltage i was getting depending if the power was turned on or off. I would agree this is a cheap a** tv. It is my brothers and i am trying to do the best to solve this as best as i can. Not having a schematic suck. there is nothing on the power board side of that cable that indicates what is what .
        All the voltage are listing on the power board... you have been looking for the "spoon feeding" of having a "nice" label that is printed beside each pin on the connector... it ain't happening. Look at the board, the labeling for the voltages are there in various places. Ensure that the board is NOT powered, take your meter and measure / check for continuity from each "available / designated print point" on the board to various pins on the connector... you will then find which pin is what voltage / function. IT IS NOT THAT HARD. As suggested, in a previous post by others, make a "nice" post of label / pin number / measurement. Do this for set at standby, then again at power up. Once you have that, then the forum can go from there.

Since you have tried two main boards with same results, I agree with you that it is unlikely that you have some form of corruption BUT not impossible since the source of the alternate board is unknown in terms of condition / quality.
        Further, your initial voltage readings of the connector at the main board appears to be missing significant voltages which is most likely your problem in terms of the system state. Do the suggested "investigation" and you go from there with further investigation.

Comment

Yes i like it when the voltages and such are printed next to the connector, that is true. Yes i do know their are voltages listed in a few places on the main board and those voltages are what is listed. Yes their are voltages on the power board as well where the jumper wire are and they are correct or less than s volt of being right. Since both main board are doing the same thing when i put them in, im thinking it's probably not a main board issue. But that could alway change. Im going to work on the the tcon board and check voltages there. I like challenges and I've not given up on this tv just yet. Im trying to improve my troubleshooting skills. Im not trying to get t you to fix this for me im just trying to tap into your collective experience and knowledge to help me think of things I've not tried or thought of. I do appreciate all the help.

Comment

I did try making a nice picture with all the voltages listed on them in skitch but when I went to save it the dam program locked up and it didn't save. So instead of doing it again i got lazy and just took a picture of my had written paper. Sorry about that.

Comment

Yes i like it when the voltages and such are printed next to the connector, that is true. Yes i do know their are voltages listed in a few places on the main board and those voltages are what is listed. Yes their are voltages on the power board as well where the jumper wire are and they are correct or less than s volt of being right. Since both main board are doing the same thing when i put them in, im thinking it's probably not a main board issue. But that could alway change. Im going to work on the the tcon board and check voltages there. I like challenges and I've not given up on this tv just yet. Im trying to improve my troubleshooting skills. Im not trying to get t you to fix this for me im just trying to tap into your collective experience and knowledge to help me think of things I've not tried or thought of. I do appreciate all the help.
              probably the one skill you need help with is following the suggestions... :-)

You continue to misunderstand the suggestion... the point of the test is NOT only for you to do and find the result BUT also to post the results to the forum so that we can see them. Still further, there are points that are printed like "PS-on" which has no voltage... that doesn't mean you don't need to measure it or don't have a know voltage for it... it means that there may be some signal there that will tell you more about the state of the board / system. ALL OF THESE are likely important to understand what's happening. Further most if not all show up at the connector at the power board and obvious again at the main board. The suggested link that was posted was a "PRIME EXAMPLE" of what is required... anything less, will likely get you less. Anyway, enough said, good luck in your quest as I hope the tv that looks like its 90% operational doesn't find its way back in the dump.

Comment

Sorry if im not getting everything posted the way you are wanting it. Im trying to do my best. I'm trying to get my work area wired up with more lights so that i can see what im doing better and be able to take better pictures and such.

Im posting some pictures that are marked up in skitch with the voltage reading but i will try to do my best to post them in text here.

these are the readings that are on the main board. the connector that runs to the power board. They are really not marked on the board what they are except a few of them. The numbering i am using is mine ive also numbered them in the picture as well.
                1 21v
                2 21v
                3 21v
                4 21v
                5 0v
                6 12.6v
                7 12.6v
                8 12.6v
                9 12.6v
                10 0v
                11 0v
                12 0v
                13 0v
                14 0v
                15 0v
                16 3.2v
                17 .71v
                18 0v
                19 3.2v
                20 3.2v
                21 2.8v
                22 .10v
                23 0v

I also took reading at the metal caps that where on the main board that had voltage readings marked on the board and a few locations that did not have voltages. I also took some readings of one of the ic on the board as well.
                c3606 3.3v
                c3620 5v
                c3611 1.8v
                c3605 3.2v
                c3001 21v
                c3348 5v
                c3632 1.18v
                c3829 12.7v
                c3831 12.7v
                c3710 2.2v
                c3705 2.2v
                ic3602 wide pin 3.2v small legs with them pointed up - form left to right 5v 3.2v 2v

I have not taken any readings form the power board connector because you can not access the ribbon form the top of the board when it is screwed down to the TV for grounding purposes. I have taken reading from the jumper wires that are near that connector that are marked with names and voltages. I am including a picture of those jumper wires and the voltages i got when testing them. some of those jumper wires do have voltage reading marked on the board as to what they should be. If i have to write them up here i will in the next post but it is probably just as easy to just look at the picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

1-4 are listed as p-on +21v 6-9 are listed as amp +13v.
                  There is no other listing on the board what the remaining pins are. Yes I need to look harder at the board to try to figure out what they are. Once I've gotten more lights installed in my workshop that I will be doing this weekend, then that might be a little easier. This is all about learning and fixing something in the process. I appreciate all the help and even the criticism. Without both you won't learn.

Comment

Sorry if im not getting everything posted the way you are wanting it. Im trying to do my best. I'm trying to get my work area wired up with more lights so that i can see what im doing better and be able to take better pictures and such.

Im posting some pictures that are marked up in skitch with the voltage reading but i will try to do my best to post them in text here.

these are the readings that are on the main board. the connector that runs to the power board. They are really not marked on the board what they are except a few of them. The numbering i am using is mine ive also numbered them in the picture as well.
                    1 21v
                    2 21v
                    3 21v
                    4 21v
                    5 0v
                    6 12.6v
                    7 12.6v
                    8 12.6v
                    9 12.6v
                    10 0v
                    11 0v
                    12 0v
                    13 0v
                    14 0v
                    15 0v
                    16 3.2v
                    17 .71v
                    18 0v
                    19 3.2v
                    20 3.2v
                    21 2.8v
                    22 .10v
                    23 0v

I also took reading at the metal caps that where on the main board that had voltage readings marked on the board and a few locations that did not have voltages. I also took some readings of one of the ic on the board as well.
                    c3606 3.3v
                    c3620 5v
                    c3611 1.8v
                    c3605 3.2v
                    c3001 21v
                    c3348 5v
                    c3632 1.18v
                    c3829 12.7v
                    c3831 12.7v
                    c3710 2.2v
                    c3705 2.2v
                    ic3602 wide pin 3.2v small legs with them pointed up - form left to right 5v 3.2v 2v

I have not taken any readings form the power board connector because you can not access the ribbon form the top of the board when it is screwed down to the TV for grounding purposes. I have taken reading from the jumper wires that are near that connector that are marked with names and voltages. I am including a picture of those jumper wires and the voltages i got when testing them. some of those jumper wires do have voltage reading marked on the board as to what they should be. If i have to write them up here i will in the next post but it is probably just as easy to just look at the picture.
                    seems to be quite different from the "scribble" that you posted earlier... what happen?

Comment

1-4 are listed as p-on +21v 6-9 are listed as amp +13v.
                      There is no other listing on the board what the remaining pins are. Yes I need to look harder at the board to try to figure out what they are. Once I've gotten more lights installed in my workshop that I will be doing this weekend, then that might be a little easier. This is all about learning and fixing something in the process. I appreciate all the help and even the criticism. Without both you won't learn.
                      You are almost there or probably there... :-)

The "request" for a listing of the voltages on the connector versus label is so people can easily determine what's up at a given connector. Providing voltages internal to the board doesn't really completely convey things as voltage at the board may not have made it to the connector. You are stuck about measuring a voltage... most meters have a resistance portion for doing "CONTINUITY". You don't need the board to be powered or otherwise to determine if a point on the connector has a connection to some point / wire else where in the board.... as suggested it is a simple continuity test to determine which point is connected to the connector. Once you have determine that, you KNOW that the voltage at the point has been transferred to that connector point... ALONG with the label. :-)

Anyway, at first "look" at the voltages, it would appear that BL-5v isn't what you are getting... since you indicate ~3v.

Related to the previous comment about determining whats happening at the connector, you indicate "0" voltage.... this maybe true, but what does that mean? Why the question because "0" could mean "no connection" or it could mean ground... you need to understand which is which and label accordingly.
                      Last edited by budwich; 03-29-2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

the program i was using crashed on me and my stuff along with it. I got demotivated and posted the picture of what i had on paper instead. I'm guessing didn't make sense to others. I hope what i posted above makes more sense this time. It all about not getting lazy and doing what needs to be done and doing it in the right way so people can understand what i am seeing. All the voltage that are listed on the board i can fine seem to be what they are listed as or dam close to it. The jumper wire areas that have the power listings seem to be what they say they are as well. A schematic so i can see how things are connected and where they go would be nice but oh well. I am not the kind of person to give up, i don't what to let this thing get the best of me. Its like being a detective and trying to solve a crime. But even they seek outside help when needed. : )

Comment

Again, you missed the point, why are voltages listed in post 47 so much different from the ones listed on the "paper" for the same connector? Something changed?

Further as I indicated, the one voltage at the "jumper" that you measurement IS NOT looking "close" is the one for "bl-5v". It may be correct but likely needs more investigation.... BUT first you need to identify specifically what ever pin on the power connector is associated with what label INCLUDING ground... by doing the test as suggested.

Comment

Sorry I've not done everything perfectly. The one picture i posted had one error on it listing the p-on as 12 instead of 21v. Sorry about that. I listed powers in that picture with power turned off and power turned on. Yes part of the way i switch sides but it was still listed as on and off. I thought listing what I was providing in a better layout would help and i get more criticism. I thought I was going to get help here.
                            If connectors where labeled with what each wire is for then that would help with finding out if the voltages im getting is correct or not. But they are not which makes it difficult to know if im missing something. The connector on the power board gives me no access to test each spot on the connector. Im probably going to have to flip board over lay it on a pink esd bag and use a grounding wire to run from board to ground. That way i can test the power board while powered.
                            Attached Files

Comment

OK the 3rd # from the top under (off) looks like it starts with an 8 but it's a 3. The pin i used was crappy and distorted the number. Only notice after reposting the correction.

Comment

Update I did some continuity checks on the connector on the main board that runs to the power board. There are several pins that seem to be running to ground they are 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 23.
                                I was also doing to short to ground checks on the main board and i found some near cn3013. Are all these caps supposed to be reading continuity to ground on both sides of the cap. see one of the pictures on this post to see what im talking about. The one you said was BL-5v looks like it says BL-sw when i look at it up close.
                                Attached Files

Comment

was the "caps to ground" test done with the connector plugged up or open?
                                  yes I see the "bl-sw" so that value is likely OK.

How were you checking continuity to test the caps in the afore mentioned area? what exactly was the reading? It would be highly "unusual" that every cap would have failed.

Note: the word "continuity" is somewhat "generic" in that it is used to mean "not an open circuit".... to determine the "type of continuity", the measured result is used... a resistor will have continuity but some resistance value, a wire will have continuity but with 0 (very very little resistance) resistance, a "continuity short". Most capacitors may have some form of continuity as the "innards" charge / "leak".... depending on value (and direction), it may indicate a possible failure.
                                  Last edited by budwich; 03-31-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Update I did some continuity checks on the connector on the main board that runs to the power board. There are several pins that seem to be running to ground they are 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 23.
                                    ..............at it up close.
                                    NOTE: that this list ("value" being 0) is somewhat different than your earlier list measured at the connector.... wonder why??? :-)

Comment

I check from ground (the metal frame of the tv) to those numbers listed above and got continuity go they must be grounded. You didn't like the zero reading so i check to see if any where grounded. The cables where connected. I will do it again without. Im just being pulled in so many directions at the moment im not concentrating on what's being said. My wife keeps wanting to talk every time i try to read you previous post. Ahhh.
                                      Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 03-31-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I will take value reading of those caps and see what they are. That connector where those caps where located goes to the tcon/screen.

Comment

I check from ground (the metal frame of the tv) to those numbers listed above and got continuity go they must be grounded. You didn't like the zero reading so i check to see if any where grounded. The cables where connected. I will do it again without. Im just being pulled in so many directions at the moment im not concentrating on what's being said. My wife keeps wanting to talk every time i try to read you previous post. Ahhh.
                                          I am not questioning the "ground check"... You can see from the board layout that the listed pins are connected to ground. What I tried to focus your attention on was that there was a "difference" between that you listed that are "grounded" (probably reading 0) and the ones that you show readings across the connector.... to make it more obvious what's up with pin 18... :-)
                                          You need to focus on differences or something not lining up in your tests.

Seems rather strange "perhaps" that it has is 0... or it could be alright.... you will never know until you do some tracking on it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X