Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There Some Earthly Reason my Meter Can't Read Vsc and -Vy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is There Some Earthly Reason my Meter Can't Read Vsc and -Vy ???

Haha. I've had this meter apart several times so first I'm going to make sure I didn't assemble it incorrectly disabling any factory shielding.

Maybe I'll take some pics while I'm doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
      Maybe I'll take some pics while I'm doing it.
      Yes, clear focused pictures always helps.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I bought a used Greenlee dm-210a for a shade under $50us. Still intend to dissect the rcc510 as time permits. Thanks for your input.

Comment

I bought a used Greenlee dm-210a for a shade under $50us.
          If you got it on ebay, that one that sold today looks to be in decent condition with the standard Brymen silicone like probes.

The difference between my DM-200A and your DM-210A is the temperature function.

If you want to see the insides, modemhead did a photo teardown.

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/dm200a/

You should be happy with it. It updates the display fast (5 times/sec), has large digits, compact size, good input protection and fast continuity.

PS. The auction only listed USA shipping. How did you get the seller to ship to Canada?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yep that was me. I live in a border town and my wife works in Detroit so I get all my goodies shipped there.

F*ck Canada Post and f*ck the bureaucrats who delight on holding up the passage of goods into Canada.

Comment

RCC510 (Fine Instruments Model 183) disassembly for your perusal...

Quality looks ok to me but the rear shield is connected to the ground with a spring which may or may not be making a good enough contact.

What you think ?
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, the HRC fuses are a pleasant surprise. The ground tag is important for the shielding. If it is not making proper contact that would explain your issue.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes that's why I mentioned it in light of what you had said previously. Maybe I will solder a wire directly to the two surfaces or is the distance between the two critical ?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                    Well, the HRC fuses are a pleasant surprise.
                    Absolutely.

Those Bussman are the same fuses found in Fluke meters. They are anywhere between $5 and $10 each.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Maybe I will solder a wire directly to the two surfaces or is the distance between the two critical ?
                      I would just extend the spring a little bit and clean both the spring and contact area with some IPA.

BTW, in your picture, the rotary switch shows some sort of potential conductive debris/carbon (circled in red). You can clean it with a toothbrush and IPA. They may cause problems in the future like this modemhead blog post.

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-83-iii-rotary-switch/
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-17-2015, 07:35 PM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I did lengthen the spring and clean the rotary switch contacts while I was in there. The spring however is a PIA as it is prone to fall out of its place if not extremely careful during reassembly. Maybe it should be tacked on the backside to the shielding plate. Will update when I do a measurement with floating ground to see if it has improved.

Comment

I made a Vsc measurement tonight on an LG plasma and I swear I saw a proper reading briefly before the display quickly switched to the nonsense reading I'm used to. There may be something wrong with this meter internally. May investigate further later on but as for now another meter is on the way and there are things needing repair !

Comment

May investigate further later on but as for now another meter is on the way and there are things needing repair !
                            Has the Greenlee arrived? Have you tried the Greenlee measuring Vsc and Vy?
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes it has and yes I have and it gives me proper readings It does give a quick reading on Auto Range and the backlight is a nice touch. Also need to get used to the fact it has a quickstand so I can quit craning my neck in some situations lol.

Happy with the purchase - thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Yes it has and yes I have and it gives me proper readings
                                Good to hear. Check the fuses on the Greenlee to make sure they are not blown. A lot of ebay sellers list items as working, but the fuse/fuses is/are blown.

If you want to try and fix the RCC, I have some ideas on what to test and now that you have another meter, we can actually measure the RCC internals.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Is it possible the rail being measured is so dirty the interference is coming through the test leads?
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Still would be a problem with the old meter as the new one measures fine.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Good to hear. Check the fuses on the Greenlee to make sure they are not blown. A lot of ebay sellers list items as working, but the fuse/fuses is/are blown.

If you want to try and fix the RCC, I have some ideas on what to test and now that you have another meter, we can actually measure the RCC internals.
                                      Absolutely, just tell me what you would like me to measure.

And the new meter would still work with blown fuses ?

Comment

I had a simular problem measuring voltage on a Vsus board, using an LG DM-311. I would get over voltage reading even on the 1000 volt range, Using my Fluke 8080a I measured the correct voltage which was around a 100 volts, I suspect the LG was adding the peak of the ysus drive signal on top of the dc voltage. or the drive signal was getting into the lg meter confusing it? The LG is a cheap meter compared to the Fluke

Comment

And the new meter would still work with blown fuses ?
                                          Yes. The fuses in 99.9% of the digital multimeters sold in recent years are there only to protect the current ranges. The meter will happily measure voltage, resistance, etc without any fuses in it.

You should take the fuses out of your Greenlee and inspect them to make sure they are the correct values in case the seller replaced them and that they are ceramic/HRC and not glass.

The only multimeters that I know, first hand, that uses fuses for proper operation of the multimeter were sold by Radio Shack. With Radio Shack declaring bankruptcy, you won't have to worry about that now.

PS. Dave Jones did a video of the Brymen BM257. Most of what he says applies to the Greenlee 210A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXu0lsOjvDs
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X