LG 50PQ6000 unstable 5v standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50PQ6000 unstable 5v standby

Hi I picked this TV up at work because it was going to be thrown out. I have been looking around the net and asking questions for weeks and learning in the process.

I have a decent understanding of electronics but not TV related experience and so loving the challenge. I must be mad but im sure some of you can relate.

It seams I have the dreaded relay clicking issue that could be linked to many different possible faults in the TV. Its how the TV protects itsself when there is an issue some where so I understand.

The only voltages I can find are the standby 5v lines x 2. These are 5v until I plug in the main board then its drops to 3.5v and few components get a little warm on the PSU board. One transistor and one diode. I have tested the diode and replaced the 2 capasitors here. As for the transistor im not sure (IC 301 a STR W6252 power IC)

I have currently decided something must be wrong on the 5vstandby lines of the main board but cant fine any scematics or training manuals with the PD92A EAX57566204 main board.

There is no stable AC detect just appears to pulse very quickly so I cannot read it with my DVM.

Repaired: LG50PQ6000

Re: LG 50PQ6000 unstable 5v standby

Turns out there is an AC detect done some testing today any ideas folks?

PIN 23 3.5V 0.15-0.18A

PIN 11 3.5V 0.12-1.14A

With no obvious pattern with the relays clicking.

I thought I would do another PIN voltage test while I was there:

5v stb 3.5V

M5v on 230mV

RLon 3.2V

5vDet 6.9mV

AC Det 3.4V

VS on 130mV

Comment

Check the all the small electrolytic capacitors in the PSU. Also check the resistance of the 5v standby rail that is on the mainboard.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It would seem like your 5V is being loaded down by the main board but you can check if it is the power supply by connecting a 10 ohm 5W resistor across the output. This will provide approx 0.5A load (2.5W.) If the 5V drops out, then the problem is on the PSU.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Interesting find:

Reading P47 of the 50PS60 training manual

TV off:

PIN 24 (Key On) 4.3v

PIN 18 AC detect: millivolts.

TV on:

PIN 24 (Key On) 0v

PIN 18 AC detect 3.4v

Hi ben7:

All the small caps pass a visual check. Any suggestions on exact caps to pull out and test?

infinate ohm 5vstandby pin 23

infinate ohm 5v standby pin 11

Comment

Originally posted by Baileybum1234 View Post
            Interesting find:

Reading P47 of the 50PS60 training manual

TV off:

PIN 24 (Key On) 4.3v

PIN 18 AC detect: millivolts.

TV on:

PIN 24 (Key On) 0v

PIN 18 AC detect 3.4v

Hi ben7:

All the small caps pass a visual check. Any suggestions on exact caps to pull out and test?

infinate ohm 5vstandby pin 23

infinate ohm 5v standby pin 11
            Try doing what Tom sugguested.

Seems like a dried capacitor (maybe more) on the PSU, with no blatently obvious short circuits.
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              It would seem like your 5V is being loaded down by the main board but you can check if it is the power supply by connecting a 10 ohm 5W resistor across the output. This will provide approx 0.5A load (2.5W.) If the 5V drops out, then the problem is on the PSU.
              Hi tom,

I have some 100ohm (would they be too high?) resistors to hand. What output and where do I connect?
              Last edited by Baileybum1234; 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I get you now load the standby 5v lines. I will pick up some 10ohm 5w resistors tomorrow.

Comment

Shouldnt I have an 5VDC AC DETECT voltage in TV off state?

Comment

AC Detect is generated on the SMPS, by rectifying a small sample of the
                    A/C Line at D102 and associated circuitry and routed to the Sub Micon (IC701) where it outputs at pin 15 and sent to P814
                    pin 18 to the Main Board where it is sensed and monitored by the Main Microprocessor (IC1). The AC Det in this set works
                    differently than most. If AC Det is missing the Microprocessor will turn off the television in about 10 seconds after turn on.
                    This will happen each time turn on is attempted.

you never know! Guess its my next move unless you can think of anything else? Start checking these things tomorrow.

Comment

Ok I fitted a 2 x 10 ohm resistor across the 2 x 5v standby lines and the voltage dropped to 3.4v

Comment

OK, then the problem is clearly with that part. I would replace the capacitor on the output of the 5V standby. Can we have a picture?
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hope this is a good enough image. Its a picture I found on the web and exactly the same board.

The things I have ringed are what I think is the IC that supplies the 5v, I have tested the zener I ringed and already replaced the capasitors I have ringed but there obviously not the right ones

I also notice that zener and IC getting very hot (burn mark under the zener diode eventhough tested fine) when connected to the main board.
                          Attached Files

Comment

It's not really good enough, plus we need pictures from underneath...

I have heard of some people replacing that IC on the heatsink, though cannot find the video I watched on it right now...

Comment

Hm, replace all the secondary filter capacitors in the bottom right of the PSU.

Also, is there a snubber network on the primary side? (usually is a power resistor, and a film capacitor, and a diode. Sometimes also a zener)
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Do you think the voltage is supposed to drop to 3.3V under load??

I looked on P138 of the training lg50pq30 manual and IC 301 that delivers the 5vstandby voltage is labeled up:

5VST to 3.3V VST REG and some test voltages are there. I have no idea what this means.

Comment

No, I doubt the 5V should drop under load.

Comment

I looked on P138 of the training lg50pq30 manual and IC 301 that delivers the 5vstandby voltage is labeled up:

5VST to 3.3V VST REG and some test voltages are there. I have no idea what this means.
                                    It clearly says, 5v standby to 3.3v standby regulator. It's a regulator that regulates some of the power from the 5v standby bus to 3.3 standby power.
                                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Ok looking at the training manual for a simular board the 5v standby should be 5v in standby and run.

Comment

Ok looking at the training manual for a simular board the 5v standby should be 5v in standby and run.
                                        I think either there is oscillation (bad caps?), or a bad snubber network (too high voltage, SMPS IC mosfet is breaking down) that is causing the low voltage and hot SMPS IC issue. It could be a partially failed rectifier diode on the low voltage side heatsink.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X