Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Seven year old LG 42" Plasma, KaPLOOOOOEY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Seven year old LG 42" Plasma, KaPLOOOOOEY!

We bought an LG 42" plasma TV about 7 years ago for $2500..

Couple of weeks ago the video signal went on the fritZ. (Large block of white screen jumping around the display).

I have been here reading since Dec.2010 and from what I have gleaned, I figured "Bad Caps". So I pulled the rig apart (complicated) and laid my eyes on 3 bloated caps, (pictures). Upon further examination I see two more slightly domed caps on the psu.

By the way I took this TV apart right in the living room on a fold up table.

On to the internet to find replacement caps. NO LUCK, Called LG, NO LUCK, MCM NO LUCK, in the mean time a week has gone by with this thing taking up living room space. Wife say's lets go look at new TVs. Ah, Okay!

Went several places, ended up at Costco. Bought a new Sony 55" 240Hz LED LCD(very nice). At Check out the Male checker says "How did you pull off getting your wife to go for a new 55" TV? I have been trying to get mine to for years and I work here!!!". I said "Take it apart in the living room and leave it there a week!

Anyway, I have only been able to find the 680uF 250V caps of which I needed 4.

The 2 each 420uF 220v 2 each 240uF 450v I have not been able to find.

I Bought the 4 caps at TSM Inc. They sent out the wrong ones so now I'm waiting again for the right parts, maybe next week.
    Attached Files

Re: My Seven year old LG 42" Plasma, KaPLOOOOOEY!

You have to check fuses too. Don't worry about bloated caps, need to check big IC are not shorted. This take effort to change because of very heavy copper in the circuit board absorbing heat from soldering iron if soldering iron is not up to this task and issue of finding correct IC for 7 years old plasma. Once you know the status of ICs and fuses, then you can proceed repairing rest of TV with caps and parts. Otherwise you did right thing to buy new LCD.

And don't forget the other ZSUS board make sure fuse on these is not blown and check big IC is not shorted as well.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by capposter View Post
      The 2 each 420uF 220v 2 each 240uF 450v I have not been able to find.
      At digikey.com, you can get Panasonic capacitors that are close of the uF and voltage values above. The general rule is to keep the uF the same and you can go higher on voltage. Slight increases in uF are okay.

So Panasonic has a selection 470uF 250V and 270uF 450V.

So search for "470uF 250V Panasonic" and "270uF 450V Panasonic" at digikey.com. Choose your height and diameter properly so the replacement caps fit.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What's the model number?
        I have one of these disassembled in the garage, also bad caps. It doesn't support HD so I haven't been able to justify fixing it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
          You have to check fuses too. Don't worry about bloated caps, need to check big IC are not shorted. This take effort to change because of very heavy copper in the circuit board absorbing heat from soldering iron if soldering iron is not up to this task and issue of finding correct IC for 7 years old plasma. Once you know the status of ICs and fuses, then you can proceed repairing rest of TV with caps and parts. Otherwise you did right thing to buy new LCD.

And don't forget the other ZSUS board make sure fuse on these is not blown and check big IC is not shorted as well.

Cheers, Wizard
          Thanks for posting! I checked the fuses first thing, all good. I don't know how or which big ICs to check. I'll need instructions on this.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            At digikey.com, you can get Panasonic capacitors that are close of the uF and voltage values above. The general rule is to keep the uF the same and you can go higher on voltage. Slight increases in uF are okay.

So Panasonic has a selection 470uF 250V and 270uF 450V.

So search for "470uF 250V Panasonic" and "270uF 450V Panasonic" at digikey.com. Choose your height and diameter properly so the replacement caps fit.
            Thanks retiredcaps for helping once again! I'll be ordering what you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
              What's the model number?
              I have one of these disassembled in the garage, also bad caps. It doesn't support HD so I haven't been able to justify fixing it yet.
              Thanks for posting! The model number of my rig is RU-42PX11

Comment

Working...
              X