LG 42LD550 LCD TV stuck on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42LD550 LCD TV stuck on startup

Spent the last few hours on google and came up with no answers and you guys here seem like the best on the web.

I came home today and turned on my TV to see that it does not get past the startup screen. Remote works, buttons work, I can see an image with backlighting, just wont get past the startup screen. Worked fine last night when I turned it off. I thought it might be the mainboard but seeing as it displays the startup image I dont think it is that. Tried updating the firmware but it was a no go as the TV wont get past the startup screen. Anyone have an idea?

Re: LG 42LD550 LCD TV stuck on startup

Unplug it for 5 minutes, then plug it back in and try.
    If that does not work try one of these to access service menu and see if it gets past boot..

* Service Menu #1

Press and hold the {MENU} button on the remote and
    the {MENU} button on the TV at the same time,
    until the first Service Menu is displayed.

* Service Menu #2

Repeat the above sequence:
    Press and hold the {MENU} button on the remote and
    the {MENU} button on the TV at the same time,
    until the second Service Menu is displayed.

If that doesn't work, your eeprom went belly up possibly. Does it appear that the TV is powering off on reboot? Could be other issues like power supply or inverter short circuit.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

factory reset may work,def sounds like mainboard issue though.

the EEPROM will store is booting sequence settings,so into the service menu for a reset...
      fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
      please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

left it unplugged overnight and still doesnt work.

tried holding menu on both the remote and tv for about 2 minutes and nothing happened. also tried enter-enter to the same result.

i read about a way that i could use the serial port on the back to get into the unit and do a factory reset that way but i am wondering if that will do anything since the menu-menu trick did not work.

freakaftr8: when i use the power button on the unit to turn it off the screen goes off but i noticed that the status light goes from a normal pulse to a really slow pulse, maybe another clue hopefully?

thanks for the help guys. from what i have searched for the mainboard is out of stock everywhere and i have had bad luck buying electronic internal components off ebay so i think i may end up with a paper weight
        Last edited by boat_eggs; 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Something I've noticed with LG main boards is they have two reset buttons on them, the first will simply reset the tv and allow it to switch back on as per normal, the second seems to reset the Tv if it freezes, happened to me with an LG 37LC55, worth looking for the two buttons(micro switches) and see if any work for you, good luck.

Comment

thank you Dang! I found an engineering/repair document on this set and noticed in the circuit layout that there was something to this effect. good to know i have a chance on this.

I have also found some sellers of the mainboard so if all else fails it will turn into a garage/bathroom (she will not let me get away with that) set in a while.

Comment

I had the exact same issue with my TV as well, 42LD550. I baked the main-board in the oven @ 385 for 10min and this fixed the issue. Seems there is a bad solder joint somewhere, possibly on the large processor. I would recommend flowing flux around the main processor before doing this. It's been 6 months and so far so good.

R/
              Chris.

Comment

csradley big thanks. I believe my LG 42LD550 was half baked as well.

Put it in the mancave oven and baked at 385 for 10 min. Coated every thing with flux before that. It works now.

Tried all the reset suggestions from others hold both menu buttons, hold bolth enter buttons that did nothing.

There are two reset micro buttons on the main board. The smallest turned the tv off the other ( green I think ) had no noticeable effect.

Comment

What do you define as "everything" in regards to the flux?

Comment

Did you guys remove the heat sinks

Comment

Working...
                    X