2008/9 Samsung LN55A950 Displaying Horizontal Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008/9 Samsung LN55A950 Displaying Horizontal Lines

So not long after my original report above, the TV started to display a more serious problem. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5zBy14yys

I shared the video with a repair service and their first thought was something going on with my main board. This prompted me to remove it, inspect and clean all cable connections and look for any other signs on trouble. I found nothing obviously wrong and reinstalled everything.

What do you know.....it has been a couple of weeks now and I am not seeing that particular problem anymore!

The original horizontal lines are still there, however. But, this got me thinking....if you look closely at the video around the 24 second mark, the channel indicator graphic does not appear to have any lines through it! Of course, it is possible my low quality video is simply not able to resolve them properly but I dunno....it looks too smooth to me. So, if this more serious image stabilization problem temporarily replaced the horizontal lines and I have since returned to a stable image by working on the main board, perhaps my lines problem can be traced to the main board only.

I am sure there are any number of reasons that would cause horizontal lines in the display to appear besides the most common one being a bad panel but could a faulty main board be the cause of what I am seeing in my original photo?

I have a attached a better image of the lines I am seeing right now.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's unbeliveable... reading forums there are many people that stupidly change capacitors for every kind of fault, here that people experienced visible bulged ccaps and failing boards replacements you dont do the obvious thing!!!!
      Last edited by Davi.p; 12-08-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I know you must be referring to other posters.....I *did* find a single bulging cap on my power board and replaced it. It didn't help with my problem, however, but perhaps I do not have to worry about a power problem for now.

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
        It's unbeliveable... reading forums there are many people that stupidly change capacitors for every kind of fault, here that people experienced visible bulged ccaps and failing boards replacements you dont do the obvious thing!!!!

Comment

leaving caps on a board with one bulged without measuring them is not safe.

Comment

I saw on a Samsung lcd Service menu in the section "Option table" that there is the possibility to disable the FRC (FRC board i think), so maybe is possible to bypass this board and its capabilities and faults...

Comment

I'm not sure I have the means to measure anything with what I have available. I assume you mean using a multimeter. Searching for capacitor failures visually has always worked for me in the past.

Sounds like you're saying I should question all the caps regardless of how they look.

leaving caps on a board with one bulged without measuring them is not safe.

Comment

You've lost me here. Does this in any way relate to my problem specifically or others? I do not even know what the FRC board is.

Whatever you think might help eliminate my horizontal lines problem, I am open to explore...as long as it is something I feel comfortable doing with the tools at my disposal.

I also read a little further back about someone performing a "normalization" procedure. That sounds intriguing, although it did not help everyone.

I saw on a Samsung lcd Service menu in the section "Option table" that there is the possibility to disable the FRC (FRC board i think), so maybe is possible to bypass this board and its capabilities and faults...

Comment

So I figure I have nothing to lose in trying this normalization thing but I do not understand the reference to "two" ribbon cables. I see five attached to the TCON. Am I missing something?

Which two do I disconnect?

Originally posted by TallCoolOne View Post
                  Interesting timing for all this, I have the exact same panel which also just started doing the exact same thing today. Three of us with the same TV that get the problem all approximately at the same time? conspiracy perhaps

Anyway, very interested to hear what you find out. After googling around I saw a post on fixya where one user says:

"I have similar issues with my Samsung TV model LN55A950... all I did was take the back cover off...unplugged the two wide ribbon cables of the panel from the T-Con board, then turned it on...I waited for a minute until everything normalized. atfirst, all i see were similar lines...horizontal pin stripes on white background...white background because the panel is not connected to any image source. Then all lines are gone, after the 'normalization." you should only see white all through out. I then turned the unit off...connected the two cables back, turned it back on...voila! my TV is back to normal viewing, no more lines!!!"

Does this normalizing thing make any sense??

thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anyone here who has moved on but still in possession on their A950 wish to unload any "parts"?

What I am asking for may not be expected, however. I am looking for a piece of the stand that broke on mine. I have only seen one person selling the stand as a whole (including the heavy glass piece) but I only need to plastic insert (see attached). I doubt I will find it separately though.

Can anyone help?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yahoo, I get to join this club - NOT

Anyway, same TV, horizontal lines as described in right side of screen. Exactly like the very first post - just on the right side.

Also have bulging 25v 1000uf @ CB855

But I also noticed an odd thing when I was dissaembling the TV. A solid state capacitor fell to ground. I have no idea where ti came from.

I check but didn't notice any missing capacitors. I posted a pic - any ideas about it's origin?

I loved this TV so much. It saddens me that it's on it's death bed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, a follow-up!

I gently removed and reinserted the ribbons from the top of the Tcon board to the panel - BOTH ENDS. I Basically messed around, blew some air, took our the ribbons reinserted while the tv was on in Demo mode - over and over until somehow - poof no more horizontal lines.

I Still have to replace the PS caps and have no clue as to where that mysterious cap came that fell out during disassembly. See prior post for pics.

Stay Tuned. Please wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hexpope View Post
                          I have the same issue with another TV, It's funny as I cleaned and then while the TV was turned on I started playing around with the ribbon cables and everything and nothing changed it was exactly the same. Now after two hours of looking around and checking voltages, it has some mysteriously come back perfect.

Would this be a TCON board issue, or the set ribbons leading to the different sections on the main panel ?

NOTE: It's the ribbon cables on the Panel. Time to restock the parts bin and send the rest to the recycling Centre..
                          I need help getting new cables or finding equivalent. What are general specs on these cables?

Comment

Glad to hear about success with just manipulating the cables. I played around with those a lot without much luck, although it sure seems to be the source of the problem.

After I finally found a cheap replacement for my broken stand, I donated the TV to Goodwill.

In the end I am better off now with my affordable 60" 4K replacement TV which is an improvement in nearly every way over the Sammy.

Comment

Working...
                            X