Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vizio VW42LFHDTV10...Brother Mikes TV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio VW42LFHDTV10...Brother Mikes TV...

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
    The first step is to provide pictures of YOUR set. I don't trust any manufacturer to use the same boards throughout a production run. Pictures must be well lit, sharp, and at least 1000 x 1000 pixels, but not over 2000. At this point we need three pictures - one of the entire TV, one of the power supply, and one of the output connectors of the power supply showing the legend that indicates what voltage or signal is on that pin.

If you prefer to go it your own, one possible cause could be the control signal from the main board to the power supply is not going active, OR the main power supply is not turning on.

PlainBill
    I will absolutely get you the pictures. I already have the set apart and the boards seem to be as described in the previous posts.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comment

5:19 pm
      Got the parts in and purchased some flux, just got the old regulator off and to be honest, I'm taking a break. It was quite a chore and I want to clean up the mess I made. I would suggest getting some braid to "suck" the old solder off as it was dificult for me to heat up all 4 points and pry the old one out of the way, patience required to say the least. Interesting the board is labeled ADJ/OUT/IN . Turns out my old soldering iron was better then the new one from Radio Hut.....I'm getting ready to clean the board with a Q-tip and place the new part. I want to be sure no specs of solder have wandered off into the board. Hope I'm not boring you but to me, this is like surgury!

5:43
      I seem to have lost the old part somewhere! I note the new part is labeled 16AB over N03A......

6:08
      After installing the new part which I have enclosed my terrible job, standing the tv up, found the old part, power on,
      YAY! No Signal!
      Kudos PlainBill! & Retiredcaps! So Happy, and my Mom will be too! Can't thank you guys Enough!

Ps, I know the soldering job is poor, I' might try to wick some off.
      Attached Files

Comment

5/25/13
        The Vizeo has died again. I dont think it's the same problem. This time the screen froze. Other syptoms are about the same except I dont see any inverter lights.
        U33 2.08 3.34 5.19

U2 1.48 2.39 5.19

U7 0.03 1.29 3.34

U8 2.07 3.33 5.21

U9 0.00 1.52 3.34

Back to the drawing board or perhaps the recycle bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul J View Post
          U2 1.48 2.39 5.19
          Check the readings and report the part number for U2?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

AMC1117 over F0734J

1.48 (2.36 - 2.40 ) 5.2

Am using an old Krista Meter and the middle pin value seems to fluctuate.

I do have a replacement left from when I changed out the U33 I bought two. marked
            16AB over N03A from digikey

I guess that is a little low, should be 2.73 on Pin 2. You think that is enough to be bad?
            Thanks RetiredCaps
            Last edited by Paul J; 05-26-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The regulator U2 is defective, or one of its output capacitors is.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom66. I will replace it tomorrow when the house is quiet. Ill post back the results.

Comment

Yay! She is up and running once again! Thanks retiredcaps and tom66!

This time I removed the regulator by loosening the big leg first enabling me to get a "grab" on it, then quickly heating up the 3 pins. I destroyed the bad one, it broke apart on removal, too much heat from the iron I guess. I did not add any solder this time, simply held it in place and tapped the legs. It is a little crooked but the best I can do. The blue inverter light fired up and I knew it was good! Thanks again. If I had the patience I would replace all those as I'm sure another one will happen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paul J View Post
                    Yay! She is up and running once again!
                    I don't ever recall a Vizio needing 2 separate repairs to the voltage regulators over a 18 month interval??
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This is the 3rd repair on my mother's Vizeo in total. I believe the main board was replaced under warranty. Somebody came out to the house and did that when I was not there. I think the tv was produced in 2007. I am very thankful to this forum, wish I could be of more help to others. My next project is to replace the draft inducer fan on her furnace but I believe that will be easier!
                      Last edited by Paul J; 05-29-2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Our Vizio VW42L HDTV10A went out with no sound or pic and remote would not turn it off. After searching this thread diligently, feeling encouraged by the success of others and the expert advice from Plain Bill and Retiredcaps... we fixed it! It has worked 12 hours so far and I hope I am not bragging on it too soon. U33 was bad and we replaced it with the 497-1229-1-ND from digikey. The people there were very nice and helpful when i had to cancel an order and change it. Hardest part of the repair was the soldering of the new part. Arghhh. Talk about aggravating! We would never have been able to fix it without the advice on this forum so I just wanted to say "Thank you" to Plain Bill and Retiredcaps and others whose postings guided the way. By the way this was a team effort, as I, the wife, did all the research and ordered the parts. My husband took apart the TV and replaced the part. I would highly recommend the video I found on here that was very helpful too.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNFzBJELFoU&feature=plcp
                        Thanks again, Paige

Comment

By the way...the original U33 part number was AMC1117 FO734J. We replaced it with 497-1229-1-ND from digikey.

Comment

Great post, I just recently finished a 42in vizio based on all the great info on this site.

Comment

Re: Vizio VW42LFHDTV10...Brother Mikes TV...parts are in

Originally posted by kingofcoins View Post
                              Bill and others....My digi-key parts are in (under 40 hours from on line click...how do they do that for $2.12 shipping? !!)
                              Awaiting your further instructions on testing, checks, steps prior to installing the new 1117 regulators on the board...any ?
                              would you consider discussion regarding VIZIO VX42L reapir, seems as your experience is very similar to one I am currently working on...bshot@charter.net I have yet to complete the prereq's of badcaps site...Thanks in Advance for any consideration, and Merry Christmas to you and yours...

Comment

I have just repaired a 42" Vizio with the main board part # 0171-2272-2365. The symptom was that the Vizio logo would turn to white when powering on, but then it was frozen, no pic/sound, had to pull the power plug.
                                The problems with this board are usually these 3 voltage regulators:

U7, U9, U33

They are all the very same regulator, best place to find them is Digikey part number 497-1229-1-ND. There are many other equivalents. Sometimes they will blow the F1 (3 Amp) or F2 (5 Amp) SMD Fuse as well.

Repair kits are sold on eBay for $25 and up, but you can save most of that by replacing just the regulators. Either way you still have to do the surface mount soldering, etc. Not recommended for someone with poor soldering skills, but if you are careful and use the correct amount of heat

Comment

Working...
                                X