Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony 49XE8096 intermittent ghosting

Hi,
    I started posting in a different thread and I was told it was not the best ans the tv model and the fault did not match. I am copping here what I wrote.
    After starting the TV it works ok for a few seconds and then starts showing ghost image with horizontal lines intermittently (except the very top). The frequency of the ghosting is steady, like every second or so, it goes from normal to ghosting every second and back.
    The TV is a 49XE8096. I already did quite a lot of trouble shooting. And I got the doubt if the problem is in the panel or de Tcon.
    When disconnecting one side from the panel at a time. The right side works fine, but the left will only show a white screen.
    - No shorted capacitors.
    - The ghosting seems to go at the same pace as the VGH ODD and VGH EVEN changes
    - ODD/EVEN change from -7.05 to 28V
    - VST seems to be steady to -7
    This is the troubleshooting I did:
    - In the left panel board (the one with the flex cables) I remove the resistors connecting ODD/EVEN. All the screen was flickering with horizontal lines and some vertical bands. The I solder a jumper between ODD-EVEN-VON (28V) on the panel side (ODD/EVEN are disconnected from the TCON as the resistors were removed)... then the image is really good but there is a black line on the top (where the image was always ok at the beginning).
    - With the previous situation, I also remove the resistor from the left panel board connecting a signal called VST (-7V). Then all the screen (except the top part) has horizontal lines (no ghosting), very obvious lines. Then I disconnected ODD/EVEN from VON (28V) and connected it to VDD (15V). Then the horizontal lines became thinner and much lighter, noticeable but not much. And the black line on top also became thinner but still black.
    I know it looks like something is wrong with the panel. But my question is if someone thinks that there is still the chance that the TCON board could make this king of fault. I read many people with a similar failure (the starting point) but for them the ghosting was steady and not blinking like mine. I wonder is something can be wrong with the level shifter. I could not find the schematic for the Tcon Board, or the data sheet from the RT6937 that seems to be the reference voltage generator.
    Thanks in advance... any help is appreciated.

Update: The vertical artifact band on the side are something new after I tried to reflow the RT6937.
    I was advise to lower the backlight (not brightness) to see if image was coming back to normal, but it did not work.
    I think there might be a crack on the RT6937 that I not sure if I made it myself when trying to reflow or it was there from the beginning. And I am not sure if all the problem can be caused by the RT6937.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony 49XE8096 intermittent ghosting

That looks pretty bad to me, I think I would just try a replacement tcon board, if you get one make sure you match up the numbers on the white sticker NOT just the board numbers.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-04-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I will order it and let you know how did it go.

Comment

Update...
        I got the new TCON board and I was still having the same failure. Some comments that might be helpful for other.
        - With the new TCON board I was still having the intermittent ghosting with horizontal lines (and the vertical bands, but as I explained, looks like that was a failure I introduced myself). The difference is that at the times it was working fine, I was still having one thing horizontal black line on the top part of the screen, but that line is not there with the new TCON board.
        - By blocking some of the contacts with tape, like you can see in many youtube tutorials, the image was mostly ok (no intermittent ghosting) but I was getting still some really think horizontal lines (no black or white, just slightly dimmer lines). With the new Tcon board and the tape on the cable from the Tcon to the panel the image looked quite perfect to me (except the vertical bands induced by me). So, I would imagine that replacing the Tcon and using the tape, I would have a working TV.
        - The new Tcon board did not work right away. After replacing the Tcon the standby led was blink green and orange continuously. I found that is because it detects something changed and wants to update the software. Downloading the firmware from the sony site and placing it in a USB plugged to the tv did the job. I tried connecting the old Tcon board back and the green and orange blinking came back, so I guess it is not just about the epprom firmware, there must be some serial number involved (or I did not get a exactly the same Tcon board).
        I think that is it for this TV. Thanks for the help, and all the help I got from this forum for fixing my macbook in the past

Comment

Strange indeed, you may have a tab bond issue there on that side, might as well strip it down to the tab bonds and inspect it.

Comment

Example there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCExlSnG4yY
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-09-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I noticed something else. With the old Tcon board my Von and Voff where 28 and -7... with the new one they are 28V and -10V. VGH odd and even now go from 28 to -10V. Ah... I don't see anything strange with the tab connection to the board. But inspecting with the microscope, near the chip in the flexcable I see some discoloration in some of the tray, but I am not sure it means anythings, it is just a little discoloration.
              Last edited by samolo75; 02-10-2021, 04:32 AM.

Comment

you make big mistake when you connected both vgh odd and vgh even with von and the second mistake when you connected to vdd vdd is for gama ic colour
                the good side you must see vgh even and odd connected to vgl or vgh and the you cut the bad side vgh odd vgh even and connected direct with vgh and vgl and try it if it ok cut the good side also and connected vgh odd lift with vgh odd right and vgh even lift with vgh right

Comment

I've got an LG TV that is dimming every 4 seconds. It alternates between a good picture & slightly dimmer picture. I think it's small faint black lines that are making it look dim.

I noticed that when I test VGH EVEN & VGH ODD on the Tcon board these voltages fluctuate between 27.8v & -7v

Is this normal behavior are these voltages supposed to be steady or switching like this??

I'm not sure I can even find a replacement tcon board, there's a couple sketchy looking sites that claim to have a tcon board for sale but I'm not positive a replacement would solve the issue.
                  It could be a main board issue for all I know.

The power supply board & led strips have already been replaced

Comment

Working...
                  X