Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio TV M706-G3 - no Power

Hello All-

This is my first post. I have seen similar posts but none for the mode I'm having issues with.

Here are the details. When I initially plug in the TV, the white lower corner light will come on for about 10-15 seconds but then fades out. Also, I cannot turn the TV on; either with the manual button on the back of the housing nor with the remote.

I've tried all the online options I could find but nothing works. Based on a little research i believe its the Power Supply board (or maybe the main processing board). My board doesn't have the easily labeled stby 5 volts marking that I've seen on other vizio power supply boards....so I need some clarification as to which pin on my model is the equivalent to the standby power pin and i also don't know what the correct voltage reading i should be seeing with my multimeter.

Here are the power supply board markings and the multimeter voltage readings with the unit plugged in:

(ALSO, see the attached pictures)

1. VSNS - 2.4
    2. LED-OUT - 64.2
    3. LED-OUT - 64.2
    4. LED-OUT - 64.2
    5. LED-OUT - 64.2
    6. GND - 0.0
    7. GND - 0.0
    8. GND - 0.0
    9. GND - 0.0
    10. GND - 0.0
    11. +16 -16.2
    12. AC-DET - 16.2
    13. PS-ON - 3.2
    14. +16VS - 16.2
    15. +16VS - 16.2

I'm guessing the stby power pin is #13 "PS-ON," but I suppose it could be 1, 12, or 13. I don't know for sure what the abbreviations for 1, 12, and 13 stand for/mean.

I also can't find (on this model) what voltages I SHOULD be reading. A lot of similar threads say 5 volts is correct but i saw another that said as title as 3 volts could be correct.

Confusing!

Lastly I also read a post/thread that a lower than normal voltage, even though its reading something at the power supply board, might be enough to produce a reading on the multimeter that appress stable and adequate, but in reality the voltage is too low to actually power on the TV

Pictures attached.

Thanks again for everyones help!!
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio TV M706-G3 - no Power

Please provide pictures of all the boards. Not just the power supply.

A lot of Vizios suffer from a symptom like this usually caused by the main board.
    Not sure if that the case for this tv since there is no pic if of it.

Comment

Here are the other pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Put your meter on ps_on pin and press power button. Voltage should drop. If not mainboard is likely problem.
        I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Tried it.....it was a little challenging because i had to have the casing wires connected to the main board to do it.

I didn't see any power drop when pushing or holding the power button.

Comment

Wonder if it's an always on power supply, maybe unplug cable from powerboard to mainboard on powerboard side, see if there's voltage at the power on pin, for safety against shorting something out, always make connections and disconnections with tv unplugged.

Comment

It does seem odd that you have all voltages up and running under standby. I agree see what PS_ON looks like with main disconnected.

Comment

+16v is the standby voltage, PS_ON turns on the pfc circuit and the led_out supply.
                The led_out voltage (64.2) is likely just residual voltage as the caps are only rated for 50vdc and will drop when the backlight supply draws current.
                I suspect the problem is on the main board

Comment

Try heating the BGA chip with a hot air gun or blow dryer and see if it turns on.

Comment

Odd there is not heat sink on that main board.

Comment

Storyteller......seriously?? hot air gun or blowdryer?

what would heating that chip accomplish?
                      and....which is the BGA chip?
                      Last edited by jbabbs; 01-28-2022, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Apologies all....I found an error in my original post: pin #12 AC-DET = 1.4 (not the 16.2 originally listed, sorry for the fat finger error)

OK, so, as suggested, I disconnected the main board from the power board at the power board side. Plugged it in and all reading were 0 except:
                        11. +16 -16.2
                        12. AC-DET - 4.3
                        13. PS-ON - 0
                        14. +16VS - 16.2
                        15. +16VS - 16.2

When I plugged it all back together again the readings mirrored the original posted readings except:
                        12. AC-DET - 1.7
                        Last edited by jbabbs; 01-28-2022, 01:45 AM.

Comment

That acdet looks strange but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jbabbs View Post
                            Storyteller......seriously?? hot air gun or blowdryer?

what would heating that chip accomplish?
                            and....which is the BGA chip?
                            Seriously, this is a big problem with some Vizio TVs. The BGA is the big mediatek chip in the middle.

May not be your problem, this main board doesn't have the same design as all the ones that fail. However as I mentioned, I don't see any heat sinks which is odd because a lot of vizio boards fail from heat.

Comment

Originally posted by jbabbs View Post
                              Apologies all....I found an error in my original post: pin #12 AC-DET = 1.4 (not the 16.2 originally listed, sorry for the fat finger error)

OK, so, as suggested, I disconnected the main board from the power board at the power board side. Plugged it in and all reading were 0 except:
                              11. +16 -16.2
                              12. AC-DET - 4.3
                              13. PS-ON - 0
                              14. +16VS - 16.2
                              15. +16VS - 16.2

When I plugged it all back together again the readings mirrored the original posted readings except:
                              12. AC-DET - 1.7
                              Your original test shows 3.2v on ps-on.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                                Your original test shows 3.2v on ps-on.
                                Yes. That new reading is from the suggested procedure. I disconnected the main board from the power board.

that was the PS-ON reading at the pin on the power board

Comment

Maybe i'll just replace both boards and cross my fingers.....shopjimmy has all three boards in a combo pack for a reasonable price.

Comment

That surely could be the quickest solution, as long as the panel and backlights are ok.

Comment

FIXED!!!

Just bought the combo pack of all three boards.

Replaced the power board and main board.

rechecked the new power board voltages and they were the same as the old board....apparently it was the main board as someone earlier mentioned.

Thanks everyone for your timely responses and help!

Fixed for under $150

Comment

Working...
                                      X