Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Decided to fix this one more time. I'm going to turn the temp down to 350°C and see if it will last. It's obviously a terrible design if you can turn it up so high that the element will burn out. I'm wondering if they screwed up on the sensor circuit and it's not reading right. I should probably get a tip temp tester and then, if it isn't reading accurately, I could probably modify it.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Mine is still working...

Comment

Maybe there is no sensor circuitry at all. (like in the fake phones, the software is there though, to show changing numbers)

Comment

I got it heating again, but no vacuum. I forgot about the cracked pump housing. Can't find a replacement. Might have to modify it and add an external pump.

Comment

patch the housing with rubber compound - you have nothing to lose trying.

Comment

I tried using silicone adhesive. It might work. Too bad I don't have a 3D printer. The thing that really pisses me off about this is that the typical repair parts which a person might need are not available. I'm still going to buy the Hakko one, but right now I have other obligations. I'll coat the entire thing in silicone if I have to.

Comment

can you post a foto?
                btw if this the the clone type with a pump in the base, i'v seen spare pumps sold cheap.

Comment

I'll do a teardown this weekend and post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                    I got it heating again, but no vacuum. I forgot about the cracked pump housing. Can't find a replacement. Might have to modify it and add an external pump.
                    No wait!
                    Contact Aoyue support via skype:
                    http://www.aoyue.com/en/contact/

they have ALL replacements for this unit (not only what you can see on their website!)

Comment

Here's the pics of the pump. I don't have time to do the full tear down like I wanted to.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alex987 View Post
                        No wait!
                        Contact Aoyue support via skype:
                        http://www.aoyue.com/en/contact/

they have ALL replacements for this unit (not only what you can see on their website!)
                        Thanks Alex. I'll contact them tomorrow and see if they have it. Although it would have been cool to mod it into a station instead of a portable. Easy too. There's already a port on the bottom of the handle for the vacuum hose, and if the 24v for the motor comes from the power unit (I think they do), it would just be a matter of splicing the motor wires in the unit, and cutting them in the power box to connect to the motor. Unless the 24v is rectified and filtered in the gun, then it would require either making a board to do that, or adding a pair of wires from the gun to the new external pump. Either way, still easy.

Comment

... Unless the 24v is rectified and filtered in the gun...
                          If I well remember, the external power unit carries 220V (for the heating element) and 9V (for the pump), both AC.

Comment

Originally posted by alex987 View Post
                            If I well remember, the external power unit carries 220V (for the heating element) and 9V (for the pump), both AC.
                            You guys have 220v mains though right? We have 120v.

Comment

TIP:
                              Before starting a desoldering job, ALWAYS wet the yellow filter pad with water, in order to allows efficient air passage and filter action (filter pad must become "soft").
                              You should repeat this often, if your desoldering session takes too long.

>>If you don't do this, you risk to strain the motor, damaging it<<

Comment

I didn't think you were supposed to wet it. I'd tried it once and it seemed to kill the vacuum. Of course, this also has the cracked pump, so it probably didn't have much vacuum to begin with.

I emailed Aoyue about it. They sent me an email the next day asking for more information. They want the serial number, pictures, and name of the vendor I purchased it from. I'll get all of that for them this weekend. It would be great if I could get them to send it for free. I'm definitely going to let them know I've already had to replace the heating element twice.

Comment

I emailed Aoyue about it. They sent me an email the next day asking for more information. They want the serial number, pictures, and name of the vendor I purchased it from.
                                  That's more than I would have expected. I hope they sort it out.
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

I didn't think you were supposed to wet it. I'd tried it once and it seemed to kill the vacuum. Of course, this also has the cracked pump, so it probably didn't have much vacuum to begin with.
                                    I read this in Aoyue 474A+ manual (very strange they forgot to write it in 8800 manual, too).

I hope Aoyue will replace your unit for free. In this case, thumbs up for Aoyue.

Comment

Working...
                                    X