Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-K8NSNXP-939 bad caps

Originally posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I have a feeling performance will improve once I replace the rest of the caps.
    It generally does.
    People that overclock often report they can squeeze high clock speeds out of a board after installing better caps.

Not 100% sure that will apply replacing HM's though.
    - That is when thinking from brand new board condition to new caps now. You will get an improvement from old cap condition now to new caps now.
    - The defective HM's are otherwise decent caps that were over-filled at the factory. The over fill causes them to crack the bung seals [or bloat] and leak when they heat up. [No room for thermal expansion.] Once the seal is cracked they dry out and fail.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Well I got the system back up and running after replacing the CPU and RAM Caps

Seems to be stable however I am noticing some odd lag within windows. It also takes longer for the board to post then it did before. So I'm not so sure whats going on. Maybe its possible the CPU sustained some damage? Right now I'm running memtest86 without any ram errors at 20 minutes.
      Last edited by crucialcolin; 10-02-2010, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas.appleton View Post
        Hi,

Sorry for not having a picture to attach at this stage. I will try and get one up tomorrow. Until then, here is a link to the manufacturers picture of board: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...xp-939_big.jpg

I have a system at home with a GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard. It has been slowly becoming more and more unstable to the point where it sometimes does not even get to the POST messages. I had a look and found that almost all 7 of the Nichicon 3300uF 6.3V HM series bulk-storage capacitors for the CPU are showing signs of being bad. At least 4 of them have vented explosively out the top and the rest are either leaning slightly or looking like they are about to vent. Several of the Nichicon 1000uF caps for the RAM regulators also look like they are on the way out.

It's a very good system and I would like to keep it going, but new socket 939 boards are hard to come by and this motherboard was top of the line when I bought it.

Do you think that the Rubycon MBZ series caps (of the same voltage and capacitance values) available from Badcaps would make a good replacement to the Nichicon HMs? The Rubycon datasheets () seem almost identical to the Nichicon (...

I would just like some feedback before I order anything.

Thanks very much,

Nick
        All links bad!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas.appleton View Post
          Capacitors have been ordered and pictures are attached.

3: the 7 3300uF 6.3V HM Nichicon caps for the CPU regulator. 3 have vented the rest are all bulging.
          Thanks for this solution - you saved our mobo, we had the same problem on our 6 year old GA-K8NSNXP-939. I had 2200uF, 16V on hand in my laboratory, and replaced the 3300uF 6.3V. The 3300uF 6.3V original capacitors bulged at the top, and all of them had between 500 and 900 uF measured capacity. The mobo started working with just one 2200uF, 16V made by Philips. They are of larger diameter, and bigger pins, so I had to connect them with additional wires, and I had to secure them in place. The computer now works like new!

Cheers,

Yelena

Comment

philis does not make low-esr caps suitable for motherboard use AFAIK.
            it may work.. but not for too long..

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
              philis does not make low-esr caps suitable for motherboard use AFAIK.
              it may work.. but not for too long..
              Thanks for this advice. I have ordered appropriate caps. Hope it holds on for two-three weeks lead time I got from local supplier

Comment

I am having the same problem on this old system. 4 of the 7 larger caps are bulging and will replace them thanks for all the posts.

Comment

Working...
                X