Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

Coincidentally I just relubed my video card HS/F after it almost seized up with a constant loud groaning noise. I also used the Super Lube synthetic grease mentioned by stj b/c the HS/F sits upside down in my computer and a thin oil tends to leak out of the sticker which I discovered after the first time I lubed it. The Super Lube works very well but in my experience, almost any type of oil or thin grease will do the job (except WD-40) since a computer fan bearing isn't exactly under difficult high stress load conditions.

There was a recent detailed discussion here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8508

and also some older ones I saw a while back in the same forum.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by garrettair

Greetings everyone I appologize if I have to borrow this picture from Mr. garrettair because my noob question has something to do with this Video Card I have the same card and the one on the top most capacitor is blown on the picture there are 3 "X" with letter "A" mine was the top most smallest caps and it is labeled FZ79 1000 uF 6.3v and I have found the caps here https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=48 my problem is that im from a different country and there is no way I can purchase this but there are some local stores here that sells caps but not exactly the same as the one shown on the link above. My question is that will the same 1000 uF 6.3 v but not the same series which is "MBZ" will work if I have to put it on my video card? like these ones http://ph.farnell.com/jsp/search/bro...lues%3D1000095 thank you for your responses...

Comment

FZ's come up often around here.
        They were recently cover here:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=102393
        -
        Look at the ESR and Ripple ratings to choose adequate replacements.
        Farnell currently doesn't show any stock in 1000uF 6.3v [or 10v either] that are adequate.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

badcaps.net ships overseas to at least some countries.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

My son has 2 of these cards in his system running sli, the other day 2 caps blew on one of the cards.
            I ordered enough replacment caps from badcaps.net to replace all the caps on both cards.
            The only one that I am not sure about is the 1200 4v cap it looks the same with the blue on it but does not say FZ, anyway I can not find this cap.
            It is not one that has blown and I can only hope it will last.
            How can I tell which side is + and which is - the card does not show either, and the copacitors do not have markings on top of them like most caps I have replaced.

Thanks.
            Chris
            Last edited by chrisbuhneing; 05-29-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I never repair XFX cards since they have a double lifetime warranty I just send them back for a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbuhneing
                The only one that I am not sure about is the 1200 4v cap it looks the same with the blue on it but does not say FZ, anyway I can not find this cap.
                It is not one that has blown and I can only hope it will last.
                How can I tell which side is + and which is - the card does not show either, and the copacitors do not have markings on top of them like most caps I have replaced.
                Capacitors indicate the polarity usually one of two ways. If the capacitor is sleeved, it will have a stripe down the negative side. If the capacitor is not sleeved, there is usually a bar or a shaded area on the negative side of the cap.

1200uF 4V sounds like it could possibly be a polymer cap. Can you post a picture, or describe all the markings on that cap? Sometimes manufacturers use a combination of good and not-so-good caps on the same board. In that case, you wouldn't need to replace all of them. I can't say that's the case here without more information, though.

XFX lifetime warranty only works if you registered the card with them within 30 days of purchase. Found that out the hard way very recently when the fan seized up on my 8800GT.
                Last edited by yyonline; 05-30-2010, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline
                  Capacitors indicate the polarity usually one of two ways. If the capacitor is sleeved, it will have a stripe down the negative side. If the capacitor is not sleeved, there is usually a bar or a shaded area on the negative side of the cap.

1200uF 4V sounds like it could possibly be a polymer cap. Can you post a picture, or describe all the markings on that cap? Sometimes manufacturers use a combination of good and not-so-good caps on the same board. In that case, you wouldn't need to replace all of them. I can't say that's the case here without more information, though.

XFX lifetime warranty only works if you registered the card with them within 30 days of purchase. Found that out the hard way very recently when the fan seized up on my 8800GT.
                  I would say that the blue strip on the top indicates the negative I am guessing, as for the cap I indicated the only markings on the CAP are
                  A779 1200 4V it does not have the FZ on it like the other caps.
                  As for warranty yes one of the cards is under warranty, but the one with the caps blown is not.
                  So I will just try and replace all the caps on both cards, if it does not work ill just buy new cards.
                  Worth a try anyway

Thanks
                  Chris

Thanks
                  Last edited by chrisbuhneing; 05-30-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

That one you have the arrow pointing to looks like a actual solid cap. Its probably fine. I would just replace the rest with the vents cut in the top.

Comment

Yes, the blue stripe indicates the negative side of the capacitors.

It's hard to tell from the blurry pic, but I'd say that one is a chemicon poly, which is okay to leave on the card.

Does the first line of marking on the cap have a little rectangular shield logo? This is the chemicon logo. If you see that logo on the blue mystery cap, you don't need to replace it.

Comment

The A779 1200 4V
                        Is a Chemicon PSA series.
                        No need to replace.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Can anyone give me a link to a replacement for H in this photo? It fell off of my card.

garrettair gave the markings as 68 \n 470 \n 16 A.

Comment

470uF 16V with 8mm diameter.
                            does the card have holes going through the board at that spot to mount a conventional through-hole cap or is it just surface mount (those pads on each side of the cap) ?

if it has holes:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51

won't really be cost-effective for a single cap, so i'd say replace all of the Sacon FZ caps too while you're at it.. (and before those fail, which they will..sooner or later..)

Comment

Oh, the FZ-series caps already failed. That's why I was here in the first place. : P
                              And it's a surface-mount cap, which I really have no idea what to do with.

Thanks for responding though.

Comment

Still hoping for a reply on this one—I promised this card to a friend, so I need to find a replacement for that cap pretty soon.

Comment

If you look on the other side of the board I suspect it's drilled so the cap can be either SMD or Radial.
                                  If not then either bend the legs on a radial to match the SMD pads or look for Panasonic FK series in SMD. [Only low ESR SMD I've come across. FK series comes in both Radial and SMD versions.]

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE3764CT-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE3763CT-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE3792CT-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE3789CT-ND

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Well now, they have an FP series SMD that's better than FK

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE4431CT-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE4430CT-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE4436CT-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCE4538CT-ND

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Using a panny FM radial and bending the legs will give you better ESR.
                                      The panny FK and FP aren't quite up to FZ specs but if you are dead-set on using SMD they are an option.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Just recapped my xfx 8600gt and worked like a charm. No issue with sleep/resume. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                          I never repair XFX cards since they have a double lifetime warranty I just send them back for a replacement.
                                          LOL if you dont fall victim to their stipulation!

Originally posted by garrettair View Post
                                          All right, here is a picture of the video card model I have. I shooped it so that the colors match.

Only 2 Large A's are blown
                                          (\n for next line)
                                          A: 3x(FZ78 \n 1500 \n 6.3v) 1x(FZ78 \n 1000 \n 6.3v)
                                          B + E: 3x(FZ79 \n 470 \n 16v)
                                          C: 1x(642 \n SVP \n 330 \n 16)
                                          D: 1x(628 \n SVP \n 330 \n 16)
                                          F: 1x(square \n A 779 \n 1200 \n 4V)
                                          G: 3x(square 7YZ \n 100 \n 16v)
                                          H: 1x(68 \n 470 \n 16 A)
                                          Exact same thing happened to me too, same card and everything! These things must really Suck!

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                                          Really! They seem to know how to play the game! Same thing with me. Dont you find it kind of odd that they require you to submit in 30 days for a double lifetime warranty? Hmmm.... I mean what am I going to do, wait until I have a problem, and then register it so that the warranty doesn't run out before I need to use it? Oh....wait...hmmm.....its quadruple lifetime, I forgot.

They really know how to make their customers happy so they will continue to buy from them and recommend their products to others dont they!

It makes a guy feel like Bart is the XFX company doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                          X