Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
neuron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
City & State: Imagina
My Country: Portugal
Line Voltage: 220VAC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 107
Default Series light bulb trick

Hi,

I'm using with success the "Series light bulb trick" in many circuits - troubleshooting.
And have 15, 25, 40, 60, 100 W - incandescent light bulbs.

But "Governments around the world have passed measures to phase out incandescent light bulbs for general lighting in favor of more energy-efficient lighting alternatives" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-o...nt_light_bulbs

It's possible use LED or Economic light bulb?

Or other Variac ... idea ?

Best Regards,
Ruy
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
goontron
5000!
 
goontron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
City & State: South Greeley, Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13.9kv HT service and some 240v center tap oddity.
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 3,973
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

large 1-3Kw heater is what i use.
__________________
Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous


You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
eccerr0r
Solder Sloth
 
eccerr0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
City & State: CO
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 4,191
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

The halogen bulbs, which are not yet on the ban list, can also be used. If all else fails, an appropriate resistor works fine too... Granted, getting a 60W resistor can be quite expensive.
eccerr0r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
mariushm
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
City & State: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 3,717
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

60w or lower regular incandescent lightbulbs can still be sold.

There are halogen based incandescent lighbulbs that can be sold today because they're eating 40-60w but producing the equivalent of about 75 watts.

There are 100w, 250w, 300w, 500w tungsten/halogen bulbs used for illuminating exteriors of buildings, like this for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-58887...s=halogen+bulb
http://www.amazon.com/GE-Quartz-300-...s=halogen+bulb

20w or lower lightbulbs will continue to be sold legally for bed lamps and stuff like that, so you could put 4-5 in series if you have to.

I think you'll be just fine.
mariushm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
neuron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
City & State: Imagina
My Country: Portugal
Line Voltage: 220VAC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 107
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariushm View Post
60w or lower regular incandescent lightbulbs can still be sold.

There are halogen based incandescent lighbulbs that can be sold today because they're eating 40-60w but producing the equivalent of about 75 watts.
...
Thank you very much for all your comments mariushm, eccerr0r.

I can use the halogen and the effect is the same.

I have a LCR and in AUTO mode the incandescent, halogen give R.
But the economic C.

The procedure is: the halogen is mark 55W ( lumens, candle - 60 W). We use the 55 W to measure the R.

goontron - I don't understand your info ... 3KW ... I don't need to power a car

Best regards,
Ruy
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
selldoor
Slow Learner
 
selldoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
City & State: Lancashire UK
Posts: 7,865
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

In the uk you can still buy 40w 60w and 100w relector light bulbs
maybe only in edison screw fitting

http://cpc.farnell.com/sylvania/0015...-es/dp/LP00966

Or "Rough Service" bulbs

http://cpc.farnell.com/ge-lighting/0...-bb45-00001003
selldoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
goontron
5000!
 
goontron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
City & State: South Greeley, Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13.9kv HT service and some 240v center tap oddity.
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 3,973
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
goontron - I don't understand your info ... 3KW ... I don't need to power a car

Best regards,
Ruy
1-3Kw = 1000 to 3000 watts
that's the wattage of the heater that is my replacement for the old bulb trick.
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
neuron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
City & State: Imagina
My Country: Portugal
Line Voltage: 220VAC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 107
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by selldoor View Post
In the uk you can still buy 40w 60w and 100w relector light bulbs
maybe only in edison screw fitting
...
Thanks,






goontron - Can you detail your info ... I don't understand.

I'm trying to limit the current!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... with your 3KW ... we have a short circuit again.

Best regards,
Ruy
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
japlytic
Badcaps Veteran
 
japlytic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
City & State: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
My Country: Australia
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Posts: 1,958
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

I've used AC-rated capacitors for motor starting/running as a replacment for series limiters (generates no heat), since I learned that capacitors can be reactive components depending on frequency.
An AC voltmeter can be used between the Live input from the mains and the Live output to the load, and therefore, the AC voltmeter can be used as a "brightness" indicator.
As far as I know, halogen lamps can have undesirable characteristics for series limiters.
__________________
My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Last edited by japlytic; 11-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: AC voltmeter
japlytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
budm
Badcaps Veteran
 
budm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
City & State: S.F. Bay area
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 35,491
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

The reason for using the incadescent lamp is that when the lamp does not light up the resistance is low, when it lights up, the resistance can be as high as 10X the cold resistance, so it is like having automatic variable resistance in series with the load, when the load draws too much the lamp will automatically reduce the current. You want that cold/hot resistance function and also as an indicator. Use this method since the 70's. My set up has two lamp sockets and bypass switch.
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...tml?sort=3&o=0
__________________
Never stop learning
Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Last edited by budm; 11-03-2013 at 08:41 PM..
budm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
budm
Badcaps Veteran
 
budm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
City & State: S.F. Bay area
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 35,491
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

BTW: I checked
100W 120V lamp cold resistance is 10 Ohms, so current draw at start up is 12A, then drop down to 0.833A after the lamp is fully lit.
200W 120V is 5 Ohms.

Last edited by budm; 11-04-2013 at 11:56 AM..
budm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
neuron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
City & State: Imagina
My Country: Portugal
Line Voltage: 220VAC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 107
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by japlytic View Post
I've used AC-rated capacitors for motor starting/running as a replacment for series limiters (generates no heat), since I learned that capacitors can be reactive components depending on frequency.
An AC voltmeter can be used between the Live input from the mains and the Live output to the load, and therefore, the AC voltmeter can be used as a "brightness" indicator.
As far as I know, halogen lamps can have undesirable characteristics for series limiters.
Instead of incandescent light?
Can you detail where I put the Cap (brand and type of motors??????) or AC voltmeter

F 220V - > Ac Voltmeter -> circuit with short?
N ____________________________________




Quote:
Originally Posted by budm
BTW: I checked
100W 120V lamp cold resistance is 10 Ohms, so current draw at start up is 12A, then drop down to 0.833A after the lamp is fully lit.
200W 120V is 5 Ohms.
But I use 100 W to power a TV and we need 1,..A or 2A to power ... if you get 0.833A ...????


Best regards,
Ruy
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
budm
Badcaps Veteran
 
budm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
City & State: S.F. Bay area
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 35,491
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

0.833A is the maximum current it will allow to flow through the load. The purpose of the lamp is to help indicating if the Power supply has shorted circuit, you will not be running the TV with lamp in place. When I work on Monitor, I use 75W for up to 22inch, you will see the lamp flash bright for seconds then dims down.
For TV I start with 75W first to see if the standby power SUPPLY is OK since 5VSTBY is only about 2~3A. You will develop the sense of what you are seeing with the lamp to tell you if something is not quite right, it is hard to explain, but when you do it enough you will understand what you are seeing.
If the load requires 100W, then you will need to figure out what the series resistance should be so you will still get to within 10% of the running voltage on the load. When the lamp is fully lit due to short, the voltage on the load will be very small.
budm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
neuron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
City & State: Imagina
My Country: Portugal
Line Voltage: 220VAC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 107
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by budm View Post
0.833A is the maximum current it will allow to flow through the load. The purpose of the lamp is to help indicating if the Power supply has shorted circuit, you will not be running the TV with lamp in place. When I work on Monitor, I use 75W for up to 22inch, you will see the lamp flash bright for seconds then dims down.
For TV I start with 75W first to see if the standby power SUPPLY is OK since 5VSTBY is only about 2~3A. You will develop the sense of what you are seeing with the lamp to tell you if something is not quite right, it is hard to explain, but when you do it enough you will understand what you are seeing.
If the load requires 100W, then you will need to figure out what the series resistance should be so you will still get to within 10% of the running voltage on the load. When the lamp is fully lit due to short, the voltage on the load will be very small.
What other "guns" you have in your Lab.?

Best regards,
Ruy
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
budm
Badcaps Veteran
 
budm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
City & State: S.F. Bay area
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 35,491
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Old CFL for inveter tester:
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...?sort=3&page=1

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...?sort=3&page=1
budm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
neuron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
City & State: Imagina
My Country: Portugal
Line Voltage: 220VAC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 107
Default Re: Series light bulb trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
Instead of incandescent light?
Can you detail where I put the Cap (brand and type of motors??????) or AC voltmeter

F 220V - > Ac Voltmeter -> circuit with short?
N ____________________________________
Please instructions
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2019
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 PM.
Did you find this forum helpful?