Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Badcaps Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2005
City & State: Michigan, USA
Posts: 558
Default Standardised PCB labelling?

I know a bit of the standardised PCB labelling letters (C is capacitor, L is inductor, U is IC) but does anyone know where I can find a more complete listing? Thanks
The great capacitor showdown!
Chris1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Badcaps Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2005
City & State: Hiawatha, IA
Posts: 203
Default Re: Standardised PCB labelling?

The component labels are more properly called reference designators. The base standard is ANSI Y32.16-1975 (reaffirmed 1989). This was the basis for IEEE STD 315-1975 (reaffirmed 1988). Because these are not easy to find, the following link has all the relevant information:

Note that this does not prevent manufacturers from creating their own RefIDs based on the standard (e.g., Abit's use of EC for electrolytic capacitors).
AK0R is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump Technical Forums 2003 - 2019
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?