TAICON Capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TAICON Capacitors?

Apparently on the Taicon site, they say that they are "Nichicon Family"? Probably Nichicon owns them maybe?
    I have never seen a Taicon cap before though.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I have an ASUS P4B533-E motherboard with clearly affected (brown crud) Taicon caps adjacent to the CPU.

I'm afraid my picture quality may not suffice to answer the model or color questions well, but the color of the sleeve is very dark.

The system has been running since about August 2002. I believe the motherboard was quite newly manufactured then. Originally it had a 2.4 GHz Northwood, which I upgraded to a 3.2 GHz Gallatin around August 2004. I doubt these caps were in this condition then--I think I'd have noticed. Possibly the higher power of the Gallatin accelerated deterioration. As I've run distributed computing aps (SETI, and Einstein) since the birth of the system, the CPU power subsystem has been under consistently high load.

Attached Files
      Last edited by archae86; 01-23-2007, 12:16 PM. Reason: correct insertion error

Comment

Another Asrock...I have a P4VT8 motherboard with 11 Taicon 1000uF 6.3v HD caps. One up near the RAM slots have bulged and leaked. I notice on Taicon's website that they no longer list HD caps. Great.

Comment

If you need to replace Taicon HD series caps, Nichicon still makes the series AFAIK, and Rubycon ZLs and UCC KZEs have identical impedance and ripple current specs.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Nichicon takes about 36% share of Taicon. That's why Taicon boasts to say it's in Nichicon family.

Comment

I have seen several taicons fail

Comment

Originally posted by meimei_liu
                Nichicon takes about 36% share of Taicon. That's why Taicon boasts to say it's in Nichicon family.
                That's interesting, in light of the Nichicon HN/HM mystery.

Comment

and i necro this thread to continue the story

Asus P4B266-E

Taicon HD 1200uf 16v (Green), Taicon HI 3300uf 6.3v

oh pretty
                  Rubycon MCZ 1500uf 16v, 3300uf 6.3v

testing board

meter say on removed caps

Green .03, ,02, ,02
                  Black .04, .02, .02, .03, .02, .30 (failed one)

so only one failed
                  Attached Files
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

just had a super 7 board of some sort out of a cnc computer with a bunch of blown open taicon.
                    they were red.
                    every one of that type looked like they had hatched.

Comment

this one was quite well cooled
                      the green positions had double negative holes to accommodate smaller pitch of caps. they were quite small and a pain in the ass.

Comment

I haven't seen a green 16v-rated Taicon HD fail yet - not saying that they can't, just that they're usually on lower-stressed rails (+12v, +5v VRM input) where they don't have high-enough ripple-current to fail quickly. Incidentally, the Taicon HD has identical specs to the Chemicon KZE, which also often found on VRM inputs.

Comment

Asrock K7S41GX, found in my store's recycling bin

13/15 taicon caps bursted

info:

TAICON
                          1000uF 6.3v
                          0346(M)
                          105C(HD)

Green in color

Came across this thread because i was thinking of trying to revive the board. will be putting some rubycon MBZ on it.

Comment

Asrock K7S41GX

Taicon
                            Green Caps...
                            0414(M) 105C(HD)
                            1000uF 6.3V

Almost everyone of them is bulging... No leaking... Will be replacing these at the same time, when I redo linksys router...

See ya all..

Comment

pic please

Comment

Greetings!
                                I'm new here. This is my bad cap story:
                                MOBO: ASRock K7S8XE+ Had it for about 3 years. My PC is not on 7X24. I usually have it off over weekends. Last week it died. Totally brain dead. After talking to few people I was reminded about the bad electrolytic caps saga. I examined the board and I found 2 "vented" TAICON 1000uF 6.3V 0342(M) 105 (HD) caps. There are 13 of those on the board. I replaced all of them with Nichicon HE caps. That brought my PC back to life! Come to think of it I had couple of intermittant hangs over last few weeks. I think those were related to those caps. I left other caps alone as they were not Taicon.

I never heard of Taicon. I Googled it and found this forum.

Here are pics of those bad caps:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by peteski; 04-04-2008, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Hello.

I had my Mac Pro apart for dusting and decided to inventory the caps inside the PSU. It looks like 16 polymers, a whole bunch of NCC and Nichicon and 6 TAICON PW caps. All caps appear to be in good order so far.

Keri
                                  The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

TAICON and Nichicon are somehow related.
                                    http://www.taicon.com.tw/product/product_index.htm
                                    Same-same with Sam Young and Chemicon.
                                    My guess is when Chemicon or Nichicon needs to they outsource some of their production to these other companies (specifying the build quality, aka jap electrolyte and aluminum) to make up for shortages. .. And that when making their own branded caps Sam Young and Taicon use whatever (crap or not) they want in the caps.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

Along that line...
                                      I've always wondered if the Nichicon HN and HM that had all the problems came out of Taicon's facility.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

i have came across certain threads that nichicon has already resolved the problem on the newer HMs, but not the HNs.

Comment

That's not true.
                                          Nichicon was honest and went public with a press release when the problem's cause was discovered. That was early/mid 2004. They actually pulled the stock on the faulty caps from the supply channels to get them off the market ASAP.

Problem was resolved in both series sometime in 2004 but exact date is unknown.
                                          Caps with date codes 2001 thu 2004 are suspect.
                                          Those made before 2001 or after 2004 are fine in so far as that defect.

You will see some failures after 2004 date codes but it's always turned out to be heat [or crappy power supply] related when any kind of failure analysis was done. [Most people bless it off as bad caps without looking at the whole system.]

Mini systems (especially Dell) are notorious for frying electrolytic caps dry because they don't get enough airflow to the MOSFETS or Caps.
                                          Those *$#^& Dell SFF units even kill Rubycon and Panasonic caps.
                                          The Dell Precision 470 dual Xeon work stations seem to have that problem too.

Heat issues aren't just Dell though. Many companies have problem models. I think you see Dell's name so often because with their aggressive pricing they sell more systems (volume) at the low end where poly aren't used in order to cut the costs and meet their price-point.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-19-2008, 02:14 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X