Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring CAT5e to a CAT6 patch panel.

Hi!

I have a spare CAT6 rack-mountable patch panel lying around. I've purchased keystone cat5e jacks for telephone, that support up to 4 lines per jack.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I'd go about wiring this to the extra patch panel? Right now, we have an RJ11 cable running from the cable modem to the house phone.

I was thinking of taking the cable modem, mounting it on a rack-mountable shelf, then running that RJ11 to the patch panel, but cutting the tip off to punch it down, and just daisy chaining it to every port (on the punch down side).

If we get another phone line (for fax, for instance), I'd just daisy chain the RJ11 cable to two other pairs of the punch down side of every port.

Then, for each room, just run the CAT5e and punch it down like I'd normally do it.

Just not sure what wires get punched where. Do I follow the TIA-568B standard or something that we use for ethernet? I'd imagine it wouldn't matter too much, since I'd just be using the punch down side and never the port side. So long as the incoming lines that where daisy chained to each port match up with the correct cat5e wires, I should be good, right?

Maybe something like the attached picture? This is just an example of how I'd wire a simple 6-port patch panel. The colours are just made up, they don't represent real colours. Would this work?

The incoming line probably only uses two of the four wires, so I'd only punch down two. And any additional lines, I'd wire those two down to the next set, so on and so forth. I just showed an incoming line with two numbers in the example, to show how it'd look. Hope that doesn't confuse anyone.
    Attached Files
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Wiring CAT5e to a CAT6 patch panel.

If there's something that's rack mountable that's specifically designed for telephone cat 5 / cat 5e, please let me know!

Comment

You could cut the wire and use wing nuts . ( just being funny) I got miles of cat 5 wire from the atic space of this busness . The new people moving in to this building told me it had been what is known as a boler room .

Comment

I'm thinking I'm making a mistake, wiring this up for traditional phone system. I'm thinking VoIP is maybe the way to go, but I start looking into it, and find a whole bunch of sites selling different products, some that might not actually be needed....

Avoiding a monthly fee is always nice, but our ISP doesn't provide VoIP, even though technically, they're using it I guess themselves, and the cable modem that we currently have, if you log in as technician instead of admin, you can see a section for VoIP. They just don't provide it.

I'm wondering if it's as simple as running CAT 5e to the patch panel, hooking those to some sort of switch, so an IP address is assigned to the VoIP phones that I could purchase, and paying some company a small monthly fee for the VoIP service. Then I'd just have to, I dunno, maybe configure the gateway or DNS service or something on their VoIP phones to whatever they provide me? I haven't actually ever looked much into how it works.

Original idea was to wire it like you would with just CAT3, but using CAT5e instead. Each telephone jack would have four tone and rings. Then, when we were ready for VoIP, go down to the patch panel, and hoping I left enough spare cable, just rewire it for 568B.

Comment

What are you trying to to do?
          It sounds like you want wire up rj11 (4p4c) from modem to connect multiple phones in different rooms from the wiring closet using cate 5e.

Frankly cat5e will work on cat6 panel, the panels are identical only the twist methods and materials on the cables themselves change to tolerate higher frequency and better snr/power loss compensation.

If these are true voip phones, then you would just do a standard 568b setup, with dhcp/tftp server and setup the phones to point to tftp for it's config or manually set them up to connect to a pbx or voip provider servers.

On the other hand if you want a traditional POTS setup, assuming the modem can output the needed voltage (-48VDC on-hook, -3-9VDC off-hook, 90VAC @20hz for ring) You can splice rj11 (4p4c) and parallel the cate5e connections. This wiki has good pinout. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6P2C

It's been done, I've worked on few systems like this on buildings where they future proof by running cat5/e but wired it like POTS then when POTS dies and isp/telco comes by they just connect modem into rj11 jack somewhere in the building and viola phone service.

I would just be very careful on whats connected, plug the spliced patch into a port for a computer and *poof nic*
          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hey Mad_Professor.

We have 6P6C telephone modules for a wall plate, that support up to 3 lines, and are designed for CAT5 / CAT5e, but can be used with CAT3.

We want to add wall plates to each room. Each room will have multiple wall plates (2 to 4 per room). Each wall plate will have CAT6 STP, with not true "RJ45" modules (for internet), CAT5e plenum grade, with 6P6C modules (for telephone), and coax for TV.

I have patch panels for everything, but with the phone, I'm having issues trying to figure out how to wire it. I want VoIP. We haven't bought any VoIP phones yet because money has become a bit tight. Soooo, was thinking I could wire the 48-port CAT6 patch (that we're using for telephone) up where it'd work for non-VoIP phones, and our cable modem provides just one line. Then, when we get the money for the VoIP stuff, we switch. I only ran 3 of the CAT3 modular plugs (6P6C), and I need to replace them with the CAT5e ones. But we'll label them with the label printer my wife bought, Ethernet is currently blue, but they're being switched out for shielded, which will make them metallic. Telephone, we can pick whatever colour we want, but right now, we're using the 6P6C white ones. I might just use the blue CAT6 connectors for the telephone, but that might get real confusing and people might think that's actually for PCs. I know VoIP don't need CAT6 modules. Not sure how many I have though, but if I got enough, it could be better than having to buy around 48 CAT5e 8P8C modular jacks for traditional phones and convert them to 568B later on for the VoIP phones.

We'll more than likely be purchasing some sort of Cisco VoIP telephones. No matter which way we go (if we buy our own PBX, if we use some companies VoIP servers, if we setup a dhcp / tftp server), we'll still need to pay some company for some sort of service, like SIP lines or something, correct?

I want to keep the telephone on it's on patch panel. That's why we are trying to use the original 48-port CAT6 patch panel I bought (that was originally for internet, until we decided to go for STP). So phone gets the 48-port CAT6 patch panel, internet CAT6 STP get the Black Box STP pass-through patch panel. Coax gets ran to the Blonder Tongue 32-port DFCS-32 Rack Mounted Splitter we still gotta buy.

I hope that doesn't confuse things too much for you. Having a hard time with my memory right now. It's because of all the stress. House owners did some really slimy things before we bought the house to cover up some messes that are gonna take a lot of time to fix, or a lot of money to pay someone to fix.

Someone around here has to be offering some sort of VoIP service. Doctors office all have VoIP phones. I see doctors in four different facilities and they all but one has the Cisco VoIP phones. The other one is Schuyler Hospital and they have VoIP phones, just not Cisco. They're a much smaller office though.

Comment

Working...
            X