Lite-On DVD drive eject issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lite-On DVD drive eject issue

Here's an odd one. I have two Lite-ON dvd burners that both won't eject correctly. Both of them make a clunk, and one will only eject if one "helps" it start by using a paper clip in the eject hole when hitting the button. The other will work after a few tries but usually "clunks" on the first few hits. One is a PATA lightscribe burner; the other is a SATA Burner.

Is there a known cause for this issue? First time I've ever had issues with Lite-on drives.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Lite-On DVD drive eject issue

belt weakening/stetching from the motor to the gear, it just starts slipping. It's not strong enough to separate the magnet atop from the spindle for the disc. Usually if there's a disc in the drive it'll eject fine....but empty, it'll do just that. Cleanign them sometimes helps, but they usually have to be replaced.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Here's an odd one. I have two Lite-ON dvd burners that both won't eject correctly. Both of them make a clunk, and one will only eject if one "helps" it
      The "clunk" is mechanical slack between the deck-lift cam/slide/rack and tray traverse idler gear engaging.

Seen many "later" (LG, LiteOn, TSST, mostly) optical drives do this. It's the rails on the bottom/sides of the tray. Either the grease is stiff or rubbed away over the years, and/or dirt & dust is causing too much friction.

Remove the tray, paying attention to the indexing between that idler gear and the rack gear on the side of the tray. There are usually two mechanical limit pins, posts, or tabs that must be pushed in to allow the tray to extend fully. Once you release the tabs, the tray comes out.

Clean it! CRC QD works great on the old grease and won't hurt the plastic. Hose the slides & rack gear good.

My go-to is Super-Lube. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lu...1030/202932687

While you've got the drive apart, you should also relube that optical deck lift cam and the pins which engage it. It's sort of a flat piece with inclined slots (the deck's pins engage these) with teeth on one end which engage the idler gear, which moves the tray.

Hint: Most of the time, the tray is not indexed to that loading gear, and the loading gear is free-wheelable when the tray is out. I've always been able to simply put the deck/rack/slide in the down/eject position and slide the tray in. The rack on the tray will engage the load gear.

Some drives have a "nub" that sticks up and engages a slot in the bottom-center of the tray.

Don't forget to clean and lube the slide rods on which the pickup runs. A small amount of Superlube here... Clean the lens too.

And clean that belt (some lite-ons & sonys are fully geared from motor to rack-drive gear) with iso alcohol and paper towels while it's apart. If the belt is weak, you'll hear the loading motor run but have no tray action.

Incidentally, Toshiba/Samsung/TSST drives are good for dirty load/eject "pin" limit switches. If yours has these, unhook two tabs on one side only, partially lift (do not remove lest little parts fly away) the bulkhead holding the plungers, and spray some 2-26 in there. No more retracting tray in immediately after ejecting, or vice-versa.

Have fun.
      And stay warm.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

The belts seem to be OK on both (no looser than any other optical tray belts I can remember)... What would be the best lube for these? Sewing machine grease? Silicone Paste? Edit- fail, missed your link.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          The belts seem to be OK on both (no looser than any other optical tray belts I can remember)... What would be the best lube for these? Sewing machine grease? Silicone Paste? Edit- fail, missed your link.
          No prob.

One of the more obvious ways to assist is to take lots of pictures as you disassemble something. So obvious, in fact, I forgot to mention it initially.

Good luck!
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

One thing I found over time is the belt forms to the two pulleys, Usually the smaller being the motor pulley, If you take off the belt and it looks like it is formed to the pulleys and not round it needs to be replaced.

Comment

Dangit I hate Lite-on drives. I have a whole bunch of lite-on drives where the hub glues itself to the CD/DVD after a while. This then prohibits eject...

I had two CD-RW drives and a DVD-RW drive do this, all Lite-on...

Comment

you mean the magnetic clamp-ring?

Comment

Yes, except the it's the motor spindle side, not the magnet side. The top side will separate just fine, just the bottom sticks to the disc. The spindle side has some cork-like material that seems to exude glue that glues the disc down.

Comment

must be ancient to use cork - yes they had nasty glue under them.
                    anything half-modern uses a rubber pad.
                    although those can probably turn to sticky mush!

Comment

Is there a retrofit or quick fix for them?
                      Else I have to treat the drive as a very slow 700MB or 4.4GB hard drive with their last CDRW/DVDRW media in them...

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        belt weakening/stetching from the motor to the gear, it just starts slipping. It's not strong enough to separate the magnet atop from the spindle for the disc. Usually if there's a disc in the drive it'll eject fine....but empty, it'll do just that. Cleanign them sometimes helps, but they usually have to be replaced.
                        Where do you find replacements ? - specifically for an LG GSA-4163B which will only eject if there's a disc in it
                        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          Is there a retrofit or quick fix for them?
                          Else I have to treat the drive as a very slow 700MB or 4.4GB hard drive with their last CDRW/DVDRW media in them...
                          you could try removing the cork, cleaning off the glue - IPA/Acetone??

then sticking it down again.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                            Dangit I hate Lite-on drives.
                            I was starting to do the same, I had a 2005 Lite On SOHR-5239V CD-RW drive that hated lower temps, would randomly stop responding in the middle of the system software reading files!

And the facker once caused the XP text mode installer (IIRC) to randomly say "Setup cannot copy the file: town.mid"...
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              you could try removing the cork, cleaning off the glue - IPA/Acetone??

then sticking it down again.
                              The cork has virtually disintegrated, trying to remove it means removing individual pieces of cork...

Need to replace the whole thing -- and BALANCE it???

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                                Where do you find replacements ? - specifically for an LG GSA-4163B which will only eject if there's a disc in it
                                I used to get them from MAT Electronics....but I think they're tits up now...its been a while since I've had to buy them. I used to get assortments of belts for various VCR's, etc.....there were some in the kit that would fit optical drives as well...
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I actually removed the belt and cleaned it with IPA

Eject button works fine now, with or without a disc in the drive
                                  better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                  X