Clear All

Re: Repair Fence Energizer SS-1000E Fi-Shock

not bad,
    but you also need this guy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8ygFJtOCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB62AfXLEHY

Comment

All three, Bigclive, DiodeGoneWild, and ElectroBoom have nutty videos...

That second one clip has an age restriction on it too. I'm going to pass on it though I thought I seen it before (meaning, the restriction was added later or this was an edit to an old version.) Same reason for passing: no need for even more pinpointed tracking...

Comment

i have seen the age BS a few times recently, it's jewtube's AI algorythm applying it based on the descriptions.
        unfortunatly in this case the description includes the word "suicide"

Comment

What ever happened with this electric fence box?

Comment

maybe the owner is still lying on the floor waiting to be discovered - with his working charger!!

Comment

I don't think they kill, otherwise dead cows, horses... but it does have a 20 mile fence range and burns through weeds and grass. Hmm.

Comment

yes if they are green .. its less of a shock if tested with grass between you and it

Comment

well cattle have hair and wont be thrown against a hard surface!

Comment

Hi all,

Your replies are funniest thing ever, thanks for the show of interest and support.

I would report earlier if there was a way to post without BUMPING (since nothing was really happening in as much as progress on REPAIR), you'll have to take my word for it.. through some acts beyond my control, the bunch of resistors that were within reach within a few HOURS, took over a WEEK to physically get to me, on that, one can write a short story/blog In any event, yesterday they arrived, and immediately went to work. See attached photos.

From SIZE perspective, it matched exactly! Then measuring Ohm, it shows exactly 360!! Even though all of them say 350 clearly, so, typo? or what not, I do not know, but DMM shows all of them as 360 Ohm (in/out of circuit) Put it in place, then energized the board, and voltages over them were ~220-230!!! before it was not!! that was with SPARE DIODES, and without the COIL/LOAD...

OK, time to swap in the original Diodes, but not before ZAAAPPP, even though unit was unplugged, I got a very good yet scary ZAP!.. as the board discharged on my fingers... and the post by stj is flashing in my mind, as I imagine myself falling slowly to the floor, possibly as my "last wish" imagining how the next photo will be me from a hospital bed, or.. worse then decided to quickly regain my "life back" and realized that the scare-factor was a lot more damaging than that somewhat "friendly" zap

Only then I realized that it wasn't that i was getting so much better at being careful and not getting zapped, despite working on the board for days on end. It is just that the board never really got energized properly, and here, first time it got energized, I got the zap.. OK, no big deal, ran outside, and stood on earth for 10 min barefoot mostly to calm myself, meditate, remember that moment, and discharge any few electrons back into earth so utility company will not have any shortage in electrons to deliver to their other patrons

Back to work, swap diodes, plug coil, clean board both sides, now extra careful, b/c this thing is alive and kicking.. plugged it in, and it started making short/interval zapping noises, every 4 seconds or so, zap, zap, and that coincides with the yellow NEON light turning ON. It took 20+ photos to take a photo of that yellow light on, basically it is not on solid, just flickers which seem to match behavior seen on youtube.

Now, I'm not a farmer, nor a cow, and so i do not know if this is working or not, but it sure looks like it does.

DMM/voltage across the external rods did not show any exceptionally high value, there are constant sparks, so i'm guessing that it gets discharged very quickly, and after once or twice, decided to not destroy the meter, and just go to the cows or horses I think in this case

Touched two screw drivers from the external rods, like in the youtube videos and it does spark like a Tesla coil, so I think we're good.

Noticed the cable going out of the box was a bit damaged, maybe that is related, gave it some TLC, with heatgun, it was restored and seems in much better shape!

Again, sorry for the delay (did not want to bump without some real relevant electronic-related news so to speak, at one point i was ready to pay a special driver a lot of money to get get it over here, way more than any digikey order would cost , thanks to all the wonderful people on this board for guiding and teaching so much.

Your goodness is returned into the "system" by various means..

Greetings!
                    Stormy

PS: I may post again if there is any feedback from the farmer, hopefully he won't be found on the ground... I may come back with a charred board, maybe you can reverse engineer what took place to have caused that I have a feeling this is just like many Hollywood movie, happy ending
                    Attached Files

Comment

in future, when you get a zap you imediatly release the residual charge by swearing.
                      trust me, it's a well tested theory!

Comment

[RESOLVED] Repair Fence Energizer SS-1000E Fi-Shock

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        in future, when you get a zap you imediatly release the residual charge by swearing.
                        trust me, it's a well tested theory!
                        Replaying back the events I do recall muttering something that starts with sh** that 'stj' member must have been RIGHT as I was imagining myself falling to the floor

BTW, farmer took unit, and tested in the field, zaps just fine for long distances, so all is good. For him, the sentimental aspect goes far and deep, hence I'm thankful to folks here to jumped on this project with all the good energies!!

Until next time ?? (with some other device hopefully

Thanks.
                        Stormy.

Comment

Originally posted by stormy1777 View Post
                          Only then I realized that it wasn't that i was getting so much better at being careful and not getting zapped, despite working on the board for days on end. It is just that the board never really got energized properly, and here, first time it got energized, I got the zap.. OK, no big deal, ran outside, and stood on earth for 10 min barefoot mostly to calm myself, meditate, remember that moment, and discharge any few electrons back into earth so utility company will not have any shortage in electrons to deliver to their other patrons
                          Hahaha, this was really funny!
                          The solution by stj is also good

Originally posted by stormy1777 View Post
                          DMM/voltage across the external rods did not show any exceptionally high value, there are constant sparks, so i'm guessing that it gets discharged very quickly, and after once or twice, decided to not destroy the meter, and just go to the cows or horses I think in this case
                          Keep your meter away from high voltage devices.
                          The reason your meter displayed nothing is that it has a circuit that dissipated the energy in case of over voltage.
                          Had it not had that your meter would have been dead.
                          There exist special electric fence testers you can buy if you want to test it properly, maybe the farmer has one.
                          It's common to check that the wiring is good in the field...
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

[RESURRECTED]: Repair Fence Energizer SS-1000E Fi-Shock

Oh dear... So, after few short days, farmer reports the unit produced burnt smell and smoke.. took it in, and l@@k, the original 360Ohm resistor is fried.. OK, thought, that should be easy..

quickly replaced it. Tested both resistors show exactly 360Ohm (in/out circuit).

Plugged it in, heard no noises like before, the fuse is OK.. took it out of A/C, touching the resistors they are HOT to the touch.

plugged it longer, and now smoke started coming, I'm not exactly sure from where, I think the resistors, but unplugged it right away.

I guess when a circuit starts burning, then debugging must be done part by part out of circuit?

At least managed to get it working a BIT... not sure what took it out of balance, maybe the diodes are weak?

now both resistors were very hot to touch after removing AC power...

Thanks.
                            Stormy.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well you can still do tests quick before it starts smoking.

Is it still generating high voltage?

Now it seems that the trigger circuit is stuck on perhaps. Does it still heat up when the 2M ohm resistor is disconnected?

Is that SCR shorted?

Comment

If you disconnect the transformer primary from the board do the resistors still get hot?

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                  If you disconnect the transformer primary from the board do the resistors still get hot?
                                  yes, got smoke without the coil/transformer.. maybe there is another faulty component that caused the initial resistor failure and current situation, strange, it did work for a little bit (made nice clicking noises every 4 seconds or so).

I'll have to find (a lot of time) to dig into this again, and disconnect one by one like on the days before initially posting

Comment

With the transformer disconnected it is likely either the diodes are bad or the 16/400v cap is bad. I would suspect the cap could be shorting.
                                    Check the diodes using diode test, then check them in ohms using a higher scale and see if they could be leaky
                                    Last edited by R_J; 06-21-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Wow. How did i miss this one?

4 seconds is slow for fence energizers, so something has been pulling down the supply voltage. I've seen diodes get blown out on these things often, so check those. Nearby lightning strikes often blow up the one across the SCR (and the SCR with it), but the rectifiers aren't infallible. Check the bulk capacitor isn't leaky, and check that 22uf 50v isn't leaky.
                                      Last edited by goontron; 06-21-2018, 12:03 PM.
                                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        i have seen the age BS a few times recently, it's jewtube's AI algorythm applying it based on the descriptions.
                                        unfortunatly in this case the description includes the word "suicide"
                                        At least before this year, it looked a lot like the age-restriction thing that you're talking about, was caused by a human manually reporting a video. At least previously, it seemed to be based on a community-guidelines thing...

Unlike the YouTube AI-based copyright enforcement thing, which was at least as far back as 2012, or close enough to being that far back, IIRC, where YouTube's Content-ID apparently changed suddenly! If you suddenly saw a new UMG automated claim at least roughly 5 years ago, then you're not alone!
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-21-2018, 05:20 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

would running it transformer out of circuit cause damage ? like nowhere for the energy to go to ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X