Windows 10 Update Breaking Program Install Paths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 Update Breaking Program Install Paths

So I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this because I know a bunch of you are big-time Windows 10 haters, so I'm going to save you some time. I do not plan on downgrading to Windows 7 or XP, and I definitely do not plan on installing Linux.

Ok, so with that out of the way, I'm having some trouble with the Windows 10 forced updates. Windows 10 is harassing me to install a big update. I think it's a creators update or some crap. If I leave my computer alone it automatically installs it and then I have to use a system restore to get back to the previous version.

I have a small SSD which has windows installed on it and often used programs like firefox. I also have a raid array where about 90% of my programs are installed. This works great and I have no problems with it. However, when the system updates, it somehow forgets that my programs are installed on drive E and starts looking for them on drive C. This breaks all my file associations, programs, and I can't even uninstall them because Windows thinks that the program was installed on C and is now missing.

Is there any way I can tell Windows that the programs are installed on E and not C?

Thanks
    canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Re: Windows 10 Update Breaking Program Install Paths

Originally posted by canadaboy25 View Post
    starts looking for them on drive C.
    I know that with Windows 95, Windows 98 and the like, (ME)
    it's by design, but not so much with NT-based Windows.

NT-based Windows-* seems to be more tolerant of having programs on other drives...

*-NT-based, includes Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and later...

And the large update, is 99 percent the fall creators' update...
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-27-2018, 07:24 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I have multiple drives and I've never seen that problem after an large update, I'm nervous now

Comment

Look at Symbolic links (symlinks). Introduced in Vista and on all subsequent Windows versions.
        https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/

Comment

Originally posted by canadaboy25 View Post
          So I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this because I know a bunch of you are big-time Windows 10 haters, so I'm going to save you some time. I do not plan on downgrading to Windows 7 or XP, and I definitely do not plan on installing Linux.
          so that's the thread closed then!

Comment

^ Install Plan9!
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Lol, Windows 10.

Maybe try a fresh install of Windows 10 again (perhaps on a spare HDD, so you can test this), then let it do it's update, and *then* reinstall all you programs??

I don't know, but if I had Windows 10 (ha! who am I kidding here), I'd let it do its update thing and not mess with it. MS designed it like that, and there's not much you can mess with IMO.

Can't wait to see what the next Windows version will bring. Probably no control over your computer whatsoever (not that 10 gives you much).

I think a possible better alternative would be Windows Server 2012 as a desktop OS with some tweaks. (And also supported for a long time, compared to 7 and 8/8.1).

Comment

next version will probaby replace the keyboard with Alexa!!

(i'm sorry hal, i cant let you do that!)

Comment

Windows 10 has the option to Change where new apps are saved to, and even filter installed apps by drive letter, so it's unfortunate that the update caused this issue!

Are all your apps installed on your F: drive? You could try changing the default program files path, but this could cause all sorts of issues, more info here:
                  http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-question.html

What I'd recommend (despite it being frustrating and time consuming), is a fresh Install of Windows 10 1709 and re-configuring everything. You can download the media creation tool here:
                  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Comment

Working...
                  X