Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock board with bad caps

Hi there!

Got an ASRock mobo at a relatives place which I discovered upon removing a malfunctioning network card has leaking capacitors. I looked at the caps (I'm a noob to this to please excuse me) and they are of light-green colour with a gold strip down the side and have 1000uf written on the side, but I can't really give much more info on it. I will not have access to the machine until possibly monday, so for the moment I can't do anything.

I have narrowed it down to this board:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7V88&s=462

Has anyone else had any leaking on this board and can help me work out what capacitors should be looking for?

Re: ASRock board with bad caps

As this is an Asrock motherboard, I am taking a guess that the caps are either made by Taicon or OST. Since they are light green in colour, I'd say it's more likely Taicon caps as OST are either black or purple in colour. I don't know the values so that isn't much help, sorry.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Thanks for your response stevo. Are Taicon caps known to fail? I'll be able to get back round the Monday to check more so in detail, I assume I'll need to know the voltage? Anything else?

Comment

Taicon caps are known to fail, there have been quite a few reports about Taicon caps failing. What's strange is that they are a subsidary of Nichicon. And yes you will need to know the voltage to get correct replacements.

Thanks.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Rightio. Checked the machine this time armed with a torch.

They are Taicon caps, 1000uf 6.3v.

What's it best to replace these with, and how much do you think it will cost?

Thankyou for the help so far.

Comment

You can replace them with something of high quality branding like Rubycon MBZ, Panasonic FC or FJ and Sanyo WG caps. Make sure the value of the new cap is 1000uf at 6.3V. Going higher than 6.3V won't hurt, but do NOT go lower than 6.3V. Besides, if you go more than 6.3v, the cans get bigger and may not fit the board position.

For the range of uf, you can go from 1000 to 1200 without a problem. Heck, I've even exceeded over 50% value difference on some boards without an issue. But 20% difference is OK.
            If you can, post a pic so we can have a look at where the caps are located.

As for pricing, you can contact Topcat for details on the cap kits he has. Where are you loacted? In the USA?. I think TC only ships to the USA if I am not mistaken?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm located in the UK unfortunately. I'll try and get a pic today. Thanks.

Comment

If you are located in the UK, you can try eBay for some decent caps. I know that I use eBay to find caps because unfortunately I am loacted in the "Deep South" land of Australia.

Comment

May be www.phenos.nl can suit your needs. I have ordered some caps from him and had no problems.

Comment

I m from vancouver bc, in Canada , and I needed to replace about 13 of these 6.3v 1000uf caps when i noticed my board was rebooting, bluescreening etc. i went to a locale electronics parts shop it it would cost me abot $20 to recap the bad caps on the board. $20 isnt alot, but for a obsolete board well..might as well recycle it. Butthen I scavenged arounf and found the same values on a old dead board I had.

Desoldered them and replaced, now the board works perfect, and it didnt cost me anything.

Comment

Originally posted by boy80
                      I m from vancouver bc, in Canada , and I needed to replace about 13 of these 6.3v 1000uf caps when i noticed my board was rebooting, bluescreening etc. i went to a locale electronics parts shop it it would cost me abot $20 to recap the bad caps on the board. $20 isnt alot, but for a obsolete board well..might as well recycle it. Butthen I scavenged arounf and found the same values on a old dead board I had.

Desoldered them and replaced, now the board works perfect, and it didnt cost me anything.
                      It might not last very long, because if it's an old motherboard then the capacitors could of been from one of the bad brands, and the capacitors could of deteriorated over time. For example, 7 year old SANYO 1000uf 6.3V capacitors were measured at 780uf, which is somewhat lower than the 1000uf rating that it has.

Originally posted by monkeynut
                      I'm located in the UK unfortunately. I'll try and get a pic today. Thanks.
                      You can buy capacitors from the UK division of Digikey (http://dkc1.digikey.com/uk/digihome.html), a large electronics component distributor. Farnell UK (http://uk.farnell.com/) is another good distributor of electronic components.

I would recommend purchasing Nichicon HE 1000uf 6.3V 8mmx15mm capacitors at Digikey UK (link here): http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1467-ND
                      Last edited by Newbie2; 09-19-2008, 06:33 PM.
                      My gaming PC:
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

this was from a good old gigabyte 7dxr board that fried when it was relatively new. In any event I'm not expecting it to last as long as if I replaced them with brand new caps, my point was I didnt think it was quite 'worth' the $20 to recap a old obsolete board. Funny thing was it seemed like all the caps that my mobo needed were noticeblt higher then the others. Seems like they are taking advantage of the bad caps issues.

Anyways the board functions great now, so im happy with it.

Comment

The bad news is that Gigabyte was big on Choyo, which is a known crap-cap. If you were lucky and got Sanyo (which Gigabyte used later from time to time), then you're probably OK. Otherwise you should have bit the bullet and spent the $20. Or even better, ordered a recap kit from here or good caps from a variety of distributors in North America.

Comment

The light green wrapper ones may be "Chhsi".

Those appear to be horrible.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                            X