Blown Caps Intel D865glc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown Caps Intel D865glc

OK here is the story behind how i recived this mobo. I've been looking for an upgraded intel motherboard for the crap D865hgvz intel board that came on this supper cheap emachine. After looking all over at specs for different motherboards I just decided to stick with an intel based board to avoid any problems. Funny enough i even caught a mention of badcaps.net forum in a review of an ECS motherboard on new egg which made me want to stay away from any other brands. I did the ebay thing and what do i pull out when the UPS guy shows up. A d865glc that smelled like my microwave after burning a bunch of popcorn. The entire row of 820uf 6.3v Nichicon HN caps along the HSF clip had blow like prepubecent pimples(i know about the problem now with Nichicon HN's ). The other two 820uf 6.3v Nichicon HN caps both show serious bulging. I also have a 470uf 10v Nichicon cap right next to the APG slot busted open almost like it had been pierced while this guy was trying to install an APG card. I dont know if that started the downward sprial of this mobo or what but I'm going to try to recap it for the simple fact that when i confronted the guy by calling him at the phone number on the ups package (that happen to be his work) he quickly refunded my money even the shipping. So i have a free dead board that I'm going to attempt my first recapping. I figure all I'm out is the couple of bucks for new caps. I'm getting some Rubycon's for the Nichicon HN 820's and a sanyo for the cap next to the apg slot. there is one other piece of the board that worries me and i have no idea what it is so I'm including a picture of it so you guys can tell me what it is and how to go about replacing it since i see a lot of flux residue around it and figure it was taken out by the surging power when this board failed. Its in the third and first pictures and is a black box with two leads on the PCB and one short stubby one in the center located right next to the agp release. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
    John
    Attached Files

Re: Blown Caps Intel D865glc

I also have a 470uf 10v Nichicon cap right next to the APG slot busted open almost like it had been pierced while this guy was trying to install an APG card. I dont know if that started the downward sprial of this mobo
    i doubt it started the problem, the nichicon HN series would have failed anyway

there is one other piece of the board that worries me
    i cant see that

make sure you practice on a trash board or something else before you recap a good board.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

the part I'm worried about i think is a fet its in the pictures and has:
      N TB
      18N06L
      Printed on it.
      It just has all that browned flux around it so it worries me.
      Should i replace it and how do i replace it?
      John

Comment

looks ok, probably like that originally
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

larger parts sometimes have flux residue around them.
          its likely ok.
          if it still posts recap and put it to use.

Comment

Brown stuff around MOSFET leads = OK
            Brown MOSFET = probably bad (gate shorted to source-drain)

Comment

Hmm... from what I can see in your photo, the 'brownness' appears to be only flux residue around that transistor.
              Originally posted by beefck
              crap D865hgvz intel board
              Shouldn't be too bad a motherboard, though - despite the unfortunate Nichicon batches intel used for some of their 865 and 875/E7210 chipset boards.

Intel server boards (although I'm not sure if the same can be said of their 'desktop' versions) are said to be among the very best in the world as far as reliability/stability is concerned...

Comment

Well got my caps on the way I'm going to print out the FAQ on how to recap my board and god willing I'll get it running and then really feel good cause that guy tried to rip me by selling me that toaster of a board and i fixed it up myself.
                Are there other electronic devices that blow their caps that can be repaired so easily? Shoot I might start buying broken stuff just to get the satisfaction of repairing them myself. Well that and the little bit of financial gain from reselling. Thanks for your help and hopefully I'll be able to hear that lovely post beep from my board in about a week. I'll post new picks of my job once I'm done. So I can get some feedback on my performance from all of you.
                Thanks John

Comment

beefck,

Yes buy cheap malfunctioning things can proove to be a bargin

Have been working with electronics since 1994 it takes some time to find the "errors"
                  there can be so many things that causes the unit not to work most common is bad soldering joints, shorted transistors, any many other things.

remember the first tv set i did repair when i replaced the orginal "hot" horizontal output transistor with another that where suitable but the insulating rubber piece between the heatsink and transistor did not work as it should so it worked for like 24hrs then i got funny white lines over the screen and the set died replaced it with an BU2525 and still working today...

Comment

I have been recapped 5 pieces of these series Intel i865 boards at least. All is Nichicon 820uF 6.3v are crap.

Although, i have stock of 820uF 6.3v. However, i don't suggest to recap with same uF and voltage for this board. So i recapped with my Samxon GC 1500uF 6.3v (8mm) instead of these Nichicon 820uF 6.3v. Now all is working excellent over than one year.
                    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

i have a problem about the same chipset but their no bad cap on it but still no display on it and no display all pic that beefkc is the same of my motherboard and i found out no bad caps can u help me pls john.....

Comment

I had the exact same problem...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=intel+arcade

Comment

Sorry for reviving a really old thread.

For the 820uf 6.3 V Nichicon hn caps on this motherboard was the size 8mm X 22mm?
                          In recent searching, the nichicon datasheet for the hn series only list a 8mm x 11.5mm?

If replacing with a newer hn of the smaller size, would it pop again faster?

Comment

HN and HM made between 2001 and 2004 were defective.
                            Manufacturing error. Overfilled.
                            -> This is well known.
                            -> The series is not crap outside of the defective batches.
                            At least Nichicon made a public announcement when the problem was discovered.

I think you measured wrong.
                            If not they are a custom ordered size. (Not especially unusual.)

>> If replacing with a newer hn of the smaller size, would it pop again faster? <<

- It could but not for the reasons you think.

8mm x 20mm HN series specs are 2220 ripple and .012 ESR.
                            8mm x 11.5mm HN series specs are 1300 ripple and .021 ESR.
                            [uF and volts doesn't significantly affect those specs, can size does.]

If they are 8 x 2_? mm about the only way your going to get 2220 and .012 in a 8mm can is go way up in uF (as Big Pope did) or switch them to solid polymer.
                            A solid polymer is probably better.
                            Look for maybe 560 or 680 uF and an ESR .009 (or less) and the lower ESR will compensate for the slightly less uF.
                            Polymers will also have much higher ripple capacity which indirectly means they can handle more heat. (Ripple generates heat inside the caps. Caps that have higher ripple ratings can handle more internally generated heat without breaking down. As the max temp is still usually 105c this implies that solid polymer are better at dissipating internal heat.)

If they are 8mm x 11.5mm then Rubycon MCZ or Samxon GC are same spec replacements.
                            HN with date codes 2006 or newer should also be fine. 2005 are dates 'probably' okay but I don't use them because I don't wannabe the one that finds out otherwise.
                            Chemicon KZJ, Nichicon HZ, and Samxon GA (regarding 8x11.5mm) exceed the HN ratings. (Are better.) KZJ - a little. HZ and GA - significantly.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X