Vizio E320-A1 LCD; no video and locks up after turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E320-A1 LCD; no video and locks up after turning on

I'm working on this little Vizio LCD and it's got me stumped. What's happening is that when it is first plugged in, I can press the button to power it up, which it does, but it then promptly freezes without lighting the backlights or displaying anything on screen after that point. From here, no amount of tapping or holding of the power button will shut it down or elicit any further response.

I tested the power supply for standby voltages and everything looked like it should be within protocol, so I figured that this was indicative a bad mainboard. Upon replacing the mainboard, the same exact symptom is occurring, however. Is there anything else that might be good to check? Or is it most likely that the replacement board had the same exact problem?
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio E320-A1 LCD; no video and locks up after turning on

I believe these suffer from eeprom failures
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

The E371e and the E390-a1 have eeprom/flash problems so I would suspect the same here. Try freezing the eeprom, (cold spray or inverted canned air) then plug in the tv and see if it turns on.

Comment

Fixed!

EepRom indeed! Snagged another mainboard and it fired up right away. I was highly skeptical of having two bad boards in a row, (the original and the "tested" replacement) but it seems to be going around. Last month, I was working on a Toshiba laptop with a defective motherboard and got two bad replacements in a row (for a total of three bad motherboards, if you count the original) before finally finding a working one.

I'll return the first replacement and sell the original; maybe somebody else can fix its EepRom.

Another successful repair though.
        Last edited by SurrealMustard; 10-02-2017, 02:03 PM. Reason: follow-through

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Replaced the U19? eeprom and now the white light comes on but nothing else, no backlight, and its locked up. I bought a replacement board on ebay and it has the same issue. I'm going to purchase a complete eeprom set from shopjimmy in a last ditch effort to get this working before I throw in the towel and tell my boss its unrepairable.

Comment

Originally posted by paul85 View Post
            I'm having the same problem. Replaced the U19? eeprom and now the white light comes on but nothing else, no backlight, and its locked up. I bought a replacement board on ebay and it has the same issue. I'm going to purchase a complete eeprom set from shopjimmy in a last ditch effort to get this working before I throw in the towel and tell my boss its unrepairable.

Keeps us posted thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by paul85 View Post
              Have you tested all the voltage regulators on the main board as we do see these fail too on vizio models

Comment

Working...
              X