CD Servo Board with unusual problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD Servo Board with unusual problem

I am planning to repair the CD servo board on a Kenwood RXD-G2 hifi system. The problem is that the sound is distorted on the outermost tracks on the CD (it is not over 74 minutes). There are a couple of Jamicon capacitors; nearly all of them are below 1uF. Should I replace all of the electrolytics 4.7uF and below with tantalum or polyester units?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: CD Servo Board with unusual problem

I have a similar issue (drop-outs near the outer edge of a CD) with a Technics SL-PD867 5-CD changer, but only with some CDs - I think it's probably dust on the lens or CD.

Comment

Ensure that the CD transport can freely move all the way to the outside, and that it's not binding anywhere. You may need to grease the screw drive.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

CD transport is OK (it is not a screw drive). Replaced all of the capacitors 4.7uF and below with polyester units, with the 4.7uF unit being a tantalum unit (All of the capacitors replaced were in the analog signal processing section). CD player section now works perfectly . I guess the place where we last got it serviced thought it was a problem with one of the ICs - don't overlook small-value electrolytic capacitors, especially those below 1uF.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
          - don't overlook small-value electrolytic capacitors, especially those below 1uF.
          Thanx for tips like this. I would have also gone for the chip.
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X