Clear All

Re: Overrated Capacitors?

tantalum i did not see for a few years.

there is also rubycon pc-con polymer caps
    http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/pc-con/index.html
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

going back to the topic of ripple current affecting lifetime of caps. How does throwing a UPS into the equation figure. generally i have found good caps in UPS systems. or do UPS not really filter to the level we are interested in.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
        is it possible that low quality psu can affect cap lifetimes on a motherboard.
        Way back when I first had trouble with my VP6, it was recommended that my PS was screwy. I replaced it with a higher rated Antec (I think....I hate getting old) and it ran fine for a couple months. Then the old problems came back. I replaced the caps on the MB and all was well.

So I would have to say that yes....a bad PS can cause more problems.
        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

did you test any panasonic?
          Yes. I've gotten inconsistent results with FC, excellent in one voltage/case, poor in another. With FM, I've had less experience, as the max voltage for the series is 50V. That said, the FMs I've tested have performed very well. With the three 'Cons and Panasonic/Matsushita I do not at all doubt the ESR, Ripple Current, or life ratings. What I'm observing is how they perform under abuse.
          is it possible that low quality psu can affect cap lifetimes on a motherboard. how does eliminating caps from the original design for cost savings affect also.
          Yes. The ripple current is going to be about the same. With crap caps in the P/S, MB caps on the same line may see increased ripple current. In the same way, if a cap is eliminated, whether thru not installing or failing, that will increase the ripple current thru the remaining caps (IOW, when one crap cap fails, it hastens the failure of those that remain.)
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I don't know whether anyone here has heard of this discussion board, but they have an Apple crap caps thread.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Tantalums are dry electrolytic - that's their major feature, apart from compactness and low inductance. They do fail occasionally, but usually only due to overvoltage, reverse polarity and humidity seeping through cracks in the epoxy coat.
              Some tantalums have liquid electrolyte - very acidic IIRC. Tantalums also may fail suddenly and dramatically due to ripple current and ripple current surges.
              PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                which boards are you talking about? the g5 has the most caps i have ever seen on a board.
                Pre-2003 socket A motherboards seem to have the most caps of 1000uf and higher.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

RJARRRPCGP: I had a PCChips M810LMR board, same as ECS K7SEM. It had 10 caps in just the VRM section. Rather weird for a low-end mATX board. I think the 'most caps' award goes to Abit BE6-II though.
                  The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                    I think the 'most caps' award goes to Abit BE6-II though.
                    "They're crap and cheap so at least we put a lot of them there".

Comment

Working...
                    X