Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter Assembly & Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter Assembly & Comments

Well I finally broke down and purchased an ESR meter and thanks to the posts here the Blue meter was the right choice for me.

It's cool looking blue displays and low dropout regulator won me over.

Another thing that these kits finally have is a battery cover for the 9 volt battery. So replacement doesn't need tools. That alone was reason enough for me to buy this meter.

I have read a few posts about the Dick Smith meters screws getting worn out from battery replacement.

I had a couple of issues during assembly and no I'm not talking about solder bridges.

I will admit I was pretty tired during assembly and wasn't running on all fours if you know what I mean . But I think that these mistakes that held me up can happen to others.

I've decided to share my assembly experience so that others can get this meter up and running with less head scratching.

This is by no means the first time I've assembled a kit I have assembled many kits and they've all worked the first time.

Okay so let's get on with how the kit was shipped to me.

It came in a little white box from Anatek with foam wrapped around it for protection.

When unpacked this is what I had:

See attached picture 1:

Here is a picture of the unassembled PCB:

See attached picture 2:

Please note that the probe ends in the large bag above WERE NOT included. I had to buy them for $10.00 a set. I purchased both the alligator clips and the standard multimeter probes.

This is my first gripe about this kit there were NO probe ends included.

This really disappointed me especially since NO WHERE on the Anatek site did it say that you needed to buy them separately.

Not only that if you assembled the kit to realize this later you couldn't test the resistor to calibrate the meter (more on that later).

So make sure that you get yourself a set of them. You Dick Smith guys were better off and had probes included.

The next issue I had was there was no printed manual you can view the manual before purchasing on Anatek's site and they e-mail it to you after your purchase.

This was a disappointment but no real issue.

So all of those things aside lets get into kit assembly.

The first thing that striked me as odd is on the silk screened PCB there were no component designation numbers like I'm used to (R25, C12, etc). There were only part values (220R, 27K, etc).

While I'm sure that the intention of this was to make assembly easier it can also lead you astray. For example there are a couple of 1% resistors on the board with the same values as 5% resistors so in actuality you could place a 1% resistor where a 5% resistor was made to go and vice versa.

The easy way to make sure you don't slip up is to look at a picture of the board with the component designation numbers on it in the manual. Then flip a page forward to see a picture of the board with the component values on it and make sure that the number of the component matches up with the component value.

Personally I think it would have been alot easier with component designation numbers silk screened on the board.

Moving on the next problem I had was with the 2 variable POTs included with the kit one was labeled 102 and the other 103. Unfortunately in the manual they were only referred to as a 10K trim POT and a 220 ohm trim POT. Simply measuring with my DMM with the POT turned in one direction solved that easily.

But again a simple revision to the manual stating that 103 is 10K and 102 is 220 will prevent any POT mix up entirely.

The rest of the assembly went easily the caps on this meter (unlike the EVB Portuguese meter that used bad Lelon caps) were Nichicon with 1 Panasonic in the mix. So you're using good caps to find bad caps and not the other way around .

I decided to use some Panasonic FCs instead of the included caps and a Panasonic SU for the bipolar cap I placed a dab of hot glue under it so it stays firmly bent over. I also upgraded the SU Bipolar cap to 47uf from the stock 22uf the Dick Smith kits used 47uf and the Blue manual said that it was acceptable as well.

Another thing left out of this kit that was included in the Dick Smith kits was IC sockets for the shift register and the microcontroller.

While I don't hope to ever need to use them it's always a nice option to have in case the worst does happen.

So a trip to Ratshack and I picked up 1 18 Pin socket (for the microcontroller) and one 16 pin socket (for the shift register) for just over 2 bucks.

So I finish assembly and everything looks good so I decided for the heck of it to run the microcontroller diagnostics to check my assembly.

So I make sure that VR1 is set to the center then make sure that R30 is bridged (this bypasses the voltage regulator I believe) and hold the power on button and F2 flashes on the screen.

So I look up what it means and I chase ghosts for about an hour thinking I did something wrong. Until I decide to read the directions more carefully.

They say in a nutshell that you can't use a 9 volt battery for this test and that the input voltage must be between 6.2 and 6.8 volts.

Not having a truly variable bench supply I set my fixed variable supply with a rotary switch to 7.5 volts and ran the diagnosis again thankfully .8.8 appeared on the display which meant everything was fine.

This mess up was all me and of course wasn't anyone's fault but mine but it's a good thing to remember if you want to use this function.

The next step was to calibrate the meter for this purpose they included an 82 ohm 1% resistor calibration is easy simply zero out the probes and test the resistor then adjust VR2 until the meter reads 82.

Take your time on this and make sure that you zero out the probes well. To test your calibration shut the meter down and power it back up zero out the probes again and test the resistor it should still read 82 ohms.

Okay now let's get into the hazy part of the manual labeled "Battery Warning Setup".

The point of this circuit is to trigger a flashing b on the display and dim the display to conserve power when the output from the 9 volt battery drops to 5.5 volts (the regulators dropout voltage).

Of course as you've read above I don't have a truly variable bench supply and 5.5 volts isn't exactly a standard output voltage.

So I build the little voltage regulator circuit pictured in the manual.

Sadly the components for this circuit weren't included but can all be found at Ratshack. I happened to have the components in that huge mess which is my parts drawer.

See attached picture 3:

I used an NTE123AP that I had on hand which was a sub for a common NPN 2N3904.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you adjust this circuit while the meter is running if no load is being placed on the battery the input voltage will be off.

I soldered the output leads from the regulator circuit to the PCB while leaving the included battery clip installed then I simply connected the battery to the little circuit.

I then placed my probes on the other battery clip so that I could measure the regulators output with one hand and adjust the regulators pot for 5.5 volts with the other.

Now onto the actual calibration I had my next issue when the meter was powered on the low battery indicator started flashing I then attempted to turn the adjusting POT clockwise and the indicator didn't go off. Turning the POT to both extremes didn't shut it off.

Puzzled I turn the POT fully clockwise and turned the meter off then on and the indicator turned off. I then turned the POT counter clockwise and the b indicator came on I then turned the POT clockwise again.

You would think that this will turn the indicator off.

However this is untrue the manual neglected to mention that the low battery indicator is a latching circuit in other words once it comes on the only way to shut the indicator down is to power the meter off then on.

This makes sense to design the circuit this way since it would prevent the indicator from flickering on and off if the battery was jumping back and fourth past the threshold voltage.

While this was again a misinterpretation on my part and the manual clearly stated turn the pot fully clockwise then turn it counter clockwise until the indicator comes on it not fully explaining why lead to some confusion.

The assembled kit board:

See attached picture 4:

The fully assembled kit:

See attached picture 5:

I also put on some clear feet so that it won't skid all over my bench and so I don't elbow it onto the cement floor .

See attached picture 6:

Overall after assembly this meter is every bit as good as the Dick Smith kits with some extras like the battery cover and the more efficient blue displays.

I am very pleased with this meter and it's a great option for those of you who haven't been able to grab the quickly vanishing Dick Smith kit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-17-2008, 04:05 AM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter Assembly & Comments

ROTFL!!! I think I found my long distance (Type A) twin. Looking at the pics,
    I saw you did all the anal crap I did:

- Tolerance bands on resistors are all down and to the right.
    - All transistors are straight as an arrow, and probably the same height.
    - Caps are all facing in a way that you can read them.
    - HERE's THE BIG ONE; going over to $hit Shack and buying dip sockets.

I love it!
    The only thing I did different is cutting off the banana end and soldering small
    alligator clips to the leads. I just couldn't see spending another $10 on cheap
    test lead ends. My little mod works great, when I touch the clips together the
    meter reads 0.03 before I zero it out.

BTW Krankshaft, your PCB board looks great. LOL!

Take care; brother from another mother.

Comment

I am thinking of buying one of these kits myself, would you recommend it?
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Holy ancient post Batman!!!

Yes I would it's saved my ass more than once sniffing out tons of bad caps in TVs. Including 85C Rubycon's that looks completely fine.

If you're serious about servicing and you want to save time it's a must.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-29-2009, 11:06 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24
          I am thinking of buying one of these kits myself, would you recommend it?
          To me, it's a toss up. I have one of these meters, and it does it's job quite well. But I've been looking fondly at the ESR 3.1 Micro in this thread.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

That meter may not have autoranging and that's a major negative for me.

Next to the testing socket it's labeled 1, 10, and 100 I think those are measuring ranges for ESR.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-30-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

By the way, if any of you are currently getting a Bob Parker Blue ESR meter kit and also want to have the satisfaction of assembling it to the max level of "perfection", use the info Krankshaft gave you and also consider adding my mod. I also used sockets for the two IC units as well as the display and the blue discrete leds that make the decimal points, but I upgraded the socket from the standard side wipe Kovar metal style to machined contact gold plated style for reliability. The two brands that work well are the old Augat [might still be available or no] and the current Mill-Max brand. I just bought single long socket strips that can be cut [broken with care] to the right length from the strip, one row at a time. And since winter is coming up, [USA] it might be a good idea to get and use a grounded anti-static mat and wrist strap when handling the IC units and the displays. A 3M mat works well, and so does the one Radio Shack sells.

Huck

Comment

Thank you for Imformation.

Comment

Yeah, thanks for all that! I think that somehow I've missed ever seeing this thread before now.
                  It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by Huckfinn View Post
                    By the way, if any of you are currently getting a Bob Parker Blue ESR meter kit and also want to have the satisfaction of assembling it to the max level of "perfection"
                    Haha what can I say? The first kits I built were FM transmitters where you want the components as close to the board as possible. Especially in the RF circuits guess that mentality never wore off.

Comment

Ive purchased the meter and after i finished assembly and im having an issue with the right side LED and Display lighting up.

I looked over a few posts for trouble shooting and the only thing i could come up with is IC3 may have been bad but i since replaced the IC and i am getting the same results.

Any ideas?? Here are some pictures of the front, back and the display.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If the 4094 was OK, I would check transistor Q13 which switches DISP2 and LED2.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks for the detailed photos. I'll have a careful look at them and see if I can see what's causing this problem, and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by bedford_repairs View Post
                            Ive purchased the meter and after i finished assembly and im having an issue with the right side LED and Display lighting up.

I looked over a few posts for trouble shooting and the only thing i could come up with is IC3 may have been bad but i since replaced the IC and i am getting the same results.

Any ideas?? Here are some pictures of the front, back and the display.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
                            Stupid message board. I wrote out a detailed description of what to check, and then it wouldn't let me make an edit so I've lost it all.

OK, to summarise.... please resolder Q12's (2N3904) leads and R27's (4.7K) leads. All the solder joints should be smooth and shiny, and those connections in particular don't look like that in the photo.

Good luck.

Comment

I appreciate the quick responses.

Agent 24:
                              Thank you for the information. I did first check continuity on the Q13 transistor and all checks out. I then removed it and checked the transistor to test it w my multimeter, guess this is where im a bit green. I know the transistor is a NPN and i looked up the data sheet and see pin 1 is the Collector, pin 2 is the Base and pin 3 the Emitter. So my question is what reading should i see on the meter as this is a switching transistor to verify if it is working properly?

Mr. Parker they came from my phone so i hope they show enough detail. If there is anything else you need information on or pictures of i will gladly post them ASAP.

Thank You both again for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker View Post
                                Stupid message board. I wrote out a detailed description of what to check, and then it wouldn't let me make an edit so I've lost it all.

OK, to summarise.... please resolder Q12's (2N3904) leads and R27's (4.7K) leads. All the solder joints should be smooth and shiny, and those connections in particular don't look like that in the photo.

Good luck.

Thanks Bob i will do that and let you know how it goes! Sorry about the message board screwing up on you, now im curious to what you had to say! Always open to learning about this. Ill let you all know soon.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bedford_repairs View Post
                                  Thanks Bob i will do that and let you know how it goes! Sorry about the message board screwing up on you, now im curious to what you had to say! Always open to learning about this. Ill let you all know soon.

Thanks
                                  Howdy again.

I'm so buried in emails right now, that I don't exactly remember what I wrote in detail.

For your info, it's exceptionally rare to encounter a defective transistor. You're about as likely to win the lottery as find one.

The big killers of the ESR meter kits are (1) Soldering defects especially dry joints and to a lesser extent solder whiskers/bridges, and (2) Components in the wrong place. You would not believe how many people put the 220 ohm and 220K ohm resistors in the reversed places.

Your phone photos are pretty good. Good enough to easily see all the component values and the general condition of the underside of the board. Thanks but for now I don't think I need photos any better than that.

Also for your info, I've attached a photo of the back of a Blue meter board to show how the solder joints should look. I hope all this is of some kind of help.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I'd say whiskers are more of a problem with lead free solder.

Even manufacturers had a lot of problems with whiskers when the lead free ROHS craze started. Surface mount IC pin spacing doesn't leave much room for errors.
                                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker View Post

Good luck.
                                      I thought that it would be Q13 that would be in question? Maybe I don't understand how the circuit works...

Can you tell me why you would check Q12 in this case?
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Your pictures are of...
                                        Leads shorted together?
                                        Leads not shorted?

Swap the displays, verify operation of other.
                                        Decimal point LED in correctly? Does it even flash when leads are shorted?
                                        Do you get the ( - ) sign in left display without leads shorted?

Toast
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                        X