Bob Parker ESR Meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EVB ESR Meter (Bob Parker Design)

if they are using the same case, be careful not to break the tabs when opening it.

are they shipping probes again with the unit?
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Unit has not arrived yet. Will report back on any changes in the unit from your initial post. I suspect there won`t be any probes, but thats not a problem. Thanks for the reminder on the box opening, it does look a little flimsy. Do you use yours on any other non-electrolytic caps ?

Comment

Meter arrived today, 5th day from ordering (Portugal to UK). Contained in the bubblewraped envelope was the meter already opened up (shipped that way or rough handling ??) and an a4 page of meter specs. No box nor leads or battery. Still in V1.1, so no firware updates it seems. Appears to work OK, although you do need to get a `feel` for its readings. The ESR chart should be considered no more than a guide. The only major criticism is the extremely fiddly ON/ZERO button. All for the sum of 68 Euros delivered, which with judicious use, will save you time, and therefore money.

Comment

hmm no leads still.that sucks.....there is lower price though now. 62 euro + shipping so instead of the 68+shipping=74 it is now 68.

i dont use the chart. it is not necessary. make sure you zero the meter each time you switch it on. i dont use it on other kinds of caps so i cant advise. i am sure vitor will advise you if he knows. otherwise check the designers page http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/ and if its not there email him, i think he will respond.

the manual is on the evb site for dl you did not say if you got that in the box.

yes the on/zero button is crap. with mine the tube is now pushed down. i dont dare pull it up so i stuck a screw of appropriate size into it which raises it to above the case height.

i would say that if they

- start shipping again the leads
          - provide again the resistor (which you did not say you got)
          - use a new case which is attached with screws and not tabs (or better, actually battery access door)
          - use a new on/zero button

they would have a perfect product. otherwise it is still very useful
          Last edited by willawake; 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

All I got was the Meter,Spec sheet and a bubblewrap envelope. Vitor emailed to say the manual is on the website. The reduced price accounts for the box,manual, resistor and leads.
            Are you saying that your ON/ZERO button has failed with use ?
            I think I`ll mount a push-to-make switch on the unit. I can only think it was to keep the meter flush, and avoid accidental switch-on.
            A better case would be a bonus as you say, but for the price, you can`t grumble, no one listens anyway !

Comment

failed...uh it still works but without the screw its below the casing so it would otherwise get stuck. better replace

Comment

Check the ESR of your new screw first !

Comment

Humm yeah that switch is a bit piddly.

I build the DS version....

Got it on sale for about $70 or was it 80 AU
                  (it was a bit cheaper, the below is probably why)

3 grips...
                  They forgot the silk screen overlay on the PCB
                  (which made it harder to assemble....but I am use to that)
                  They didn't drill two holes for one electro caps
                  Supplied open trimpots

Would have preferred closed units anyway it works

Not sure now if I got leads, think so
                  did get 2 resistors for calibration.

The switch on the DS unit mounts on the front panel
                  (its just a jiffy box case)

Your units look very slim compared to mine...

I suppose you could re box it willawake but then I guess it wouldn't look as nice

I will have to post some pics of the construction
                  You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Are there any cheap alternatives to this brand?

Comment

there's a few in this section.

but for the digital display ones, no they are around that price.

Comment

not that I know of
                        the kit would be the cheapest option.
                        Not that hard if you can solder and follow instructions
                        Not sure if DS will ship internationally thought,
                        if they do you can bet the price wouldn't be cheap so a pre build unit might be a better option.

there are a few cheaper way to get you self a meter movement version although $50 for one doesn't sound bad
                        (don't know how accurate it is or anything on that score)

search these forums there is a post somewhere on building one and some dude in Italy has a web page on how to make a meter movement one.

Stop press DS is having a way low price sale on this product

Anyone in Australia that wants one cheap may want to check their local tricky dicky's ASAP 25 bucks but there are conditions!
                        (thats the price on the web page so if its correct thats way cheap)

The MKII is the later model

check it out here at ds website

sounds like either a new model or production run of kits might be in the works or they are just not going to make the kits any more

Don't know how long this has been going on ...

Goodluck, Cheers
                        Last edited by starfury1; 01-31-2007, 04:48 AM.
                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

are some spelling mistakes above...Doh was in a rush when I read the DS website
                          Could have had 3 for the money I paid LOL

I really hope the price is correct and someone doing the web page hasn't stuffed up

Comment

re: Silicone Chip's ESR meter kit @ DSE (AUS)

Just picked mine up (thanks for the tip), shop assistant said the $79.95 -> $24.95 price drop reflected the low interest in this particular kit project, hence it was his belief that this was a product run out special

So folks... come get 'em while they're HOT!
                            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

its a very good deal
                              look forward to the build reports.

actually the more of these people get, the better data we will have on the failure mode of different brands

Comment

Good one Taz....you get the MKII?

Have any construction probs give me a yell if you like

Should point out there is a trouble shooting guide at Bobs site...or there used to be last time I looked too
                                Also a couple of mods some mite like to put in

Comment

Yeah, it's the MKII I didn't need the extra Ohm meter feature, I managed to secure 1 of the last 2 in town

Build report? pics? can do

* looks at unopened kit *
                                  Viva LA Retro!

Comment

good one mate

Anyway a long time ago you said I should
                                    so here are a few construction pics

I am not going to win any awards for mil spec construction I know but it works

I haven't shown the battery setup in these photos

Note the 2 points above. cap on back of PCB... no overlay

So it looks like there will be no more Kits From DS?
                                    Due to it being a slow moving Item?
                                    Bummer
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by starfury1; 02-02-2007, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Wow, good deal, I ordered one.

Hope I'll get it too
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

holey shit now they are getting international orders too.

Comment

Yea, it's kinda fun, it will have to travel to almost the exact opposite of the earth

And that's just because it gets cheaper, lol!

It's about 215SEK including shipping, which is almost nothing... Even if they tax me for it in Sweden it will be just about free as in gratis
                                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X