Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bga Pads Lift Repair.

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
    I wasn't concentrating when I lifted these pads and also PS3 phats are buggers to reflow/reball anyway. Though to have lifted the amount you have done is quite a lot.

Are you only just learning how to reball?
    What machine are you using?
    Profile?
    Flux type?
    Wick type?
    Iron tip type?... and temp?
    I have the IR6500 i did upgrade the top heaters, flux amtech 559, wick was chim weak, but i change it for good wick, and my iron station is the yihua 898D, but i'm thinking to change that because that is not hot enough, starter as a hobby but gets crazier.
    The Night Drop Down, I Will Keep Try Until..., You Never know.
    Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Pad lifts are generally caused by too much heat, crap flux or wrong wick

Comment

Pad lifts are generally caused by too much heat, crap flux or wrong wick
        What is the temp that you use on your iron tip
        Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Depends on the solder being removed and what wick I am using. Lead free with the previous balls being 0.6 and using 5mm Gootwick I have my iron set to around 270c.

I use a 5mm chisel tip

You want to pass over the pads at most twice, Once being optimal... Always travel in the same direction and should be barely any pressure needed... If it feels as if you are scraping then add more flux.

Before using wick use a wide chisel tip and wet the tip with leaded solder... start dragging the solder ball on the tip over the pads allowing it to collect the existing solder as you go... The tip should not touch the board.. Only the solder pool.... When the pool starts to stick add more flux and remove some solder from the tip.

This is all done with the board still hot from the BGA removal, So the board is at around 180c already

What rework machine are you using too? HA or IR? What make and model?
          Last edited by newtothis; 04-23-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Depends on the solder being removed and what wick I am using. Lead free with the previous balls being 0.6 and using 5mm Gootwick I have my iron set to around 270c.

I use a 5mm chisel tip

You want to pass over the pads at most twice, Once being optimal... Always travel in the same direction and should be barely any pressure needed... If it feels as if you are scraping then add more flux.

Before using wick use a wide chisel tip and wet the tip with leaded solder... start dragging the solder ball on the tip over the pads allowing it to collect the existing solder as you go... The tip should not touch the board.. Only the solder pool.... When the pool starts to stick add more flux and remove some solder from the tip.

This is all done with the board still hot from the BGA removal, So the board is at around 180c already

What rework machine are you using too? HA or IR? What make and model?
            I have the Achi Ir6500, i use the IR, I did upgrade the top because i sufferd from uneven heat, plus i have changed the thermo cable, and now my lift are perfect, i do only laptop, they got always the tiny balls, but my biggest problem is the cleaning of the mobo, always loose some pads, i use allot of flux but i do think s my iron station is the problem.
            Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Good job you don't do anything other than laptops, IR6500 is a poor choice as it has a small bottom heater, IR6000 would of been better.... Hopefully it was a Scotle you got and not the one with a single bottom element?

What station do you use?

Comment

Good job you don't do anything other than laptops, IR6500 is a poor choice as it has a small bottom heater, IR6000 would of been better.... Hopefully it was a Scotle you got and not the one with a single bottom element?

What station do you use?
                Iam afraid that maybe its the one with single bottom, im not sure, i order it from china, maybe i gone take a look tomorow, my station s the Yihua 898D+ the hot air is ok, but i think the iron s the problem for loosing pins, its unstable, which one do you use.
                Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

WEP 992+ Station -

Bird AC 5000 modded IR station, Elstein top and bottom elements... 2000w bottom heater, 500w and a 800w top heater (switched as needed)

Remove the glass panel off your Station, It hinders the transfer of the radiation! Have you changed the SSR's? If you have upped any wattage you really should.

Comment

I took the glass out from my Ir 6500 and now is the bottom heat much better, i could make a faster profile, and evrything when perfect, its a singel bottom element but i think its gone a be enough for laptop repair.
                    Attached Files
                    Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Originally posted by Life Goes On View Post
                      I took the glass out from my Ir 6500 and now is the bottom heat much better, i could make a faster profile, and evrything when perfect, its a singel bottom element but i think its gone a be enough for laptop repair.
                      Yeah they are ok for small rework but I would never attempt a PS3, PS4 etc on it... Even 2000w bottom heat on mine can struggle with PS4's, Have to elongate my profiles to really soak that heat in!

Glad it is working better for you It is also possible to modify the bottom heater to bring it up closer to your work by a small amount... This of course further reduces the heat times which is always good

If you ever decide to upgrade by a small amount the Scotle IR6000 v5 is pretty damn good for the money... Inexpensive yet very effective!

LOL is that Alu tape around your suction pen? I have the same crap one and used epoxy on it! It was loose and created no suction as it was
                      Last edited by newtothis; 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

You right, that pen is really crap, it don't know why i have still have it, here is a picture from one of the best vacum pen ever, for me anyway.
                        Attached Files
                        Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Yeah I should really buy another one, I have one built into my IR machine but it doesn't work and haven't been arsed to get inside and see why.. I really should do both soon! lol

Comment

so when you have lifted or damaged pads you need to determine if its ground or power

if it has a trace near it, that pad must be connected

there are some pads that are simply there to balance out the weight on the chip

the cheapest way is to get some thin wire, or take some strands from desoldering braid and connect them to the pad using lead free solder, this way when you rework the chip back to the board using lead solder it wont come loose

Comment

Yeah they are ok for small rework but I would never attempt a PS3, PS4 etc on it... Even 2000w bottom heat on mine can struggle with PS4's, Have to elongate my profiles to really soak that heat in!

Glad it is working better for you It is also possible to modify the bottom heater to bring it up closer to your work by a small amount... This of course further reduces the heat times which is always good

If you ever decide to upgrade by a small amount the Scotle IR6000 v5 is pretty damn good for the money... Inexpensive yet very effective!

LOL is that Alu tape around your suction pen? I have the same crap one and used epoxy on it! It was loose and created no suction as it was
                              2000 watts is plenty of power, now if you are comparing chinese heaters to elstein heaters that is a different story

most of these cheap chinese machines come with cheap parts and cheap heaters, you will need to upgrade them to german heaters in order to achieve even and reliable heating

this link covers it in more detail http://www.thebgareworkmachine.com/elstein-heaters/

Comment

after you have learned how to repair them, you should learn how to prevent them from happening http://www.thebgareworkmachine.com/r...ads-reworking/

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
                                  after you have learned how to repair them, you should learn how to prevent them from happening http://www.thebgareworkmachine.com/r...ads-reworking/
                                  Thank you for sharing this one.
                                  Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
                                    Yes was using a generic principle as a standard machine. I have Elsteins across the board on mine and uprated SSRs, Complete rewire too.

I agree totally with that article you have posted except I would advise anyone that when removing the old solder from the BGA area not to even touch the pads with the iron tip... A good chisel tip is great with pooled leaded solder... drag the pool across the pads collecting the old solder with the tip never making contact. Good braid at the right size is essential too to get the heat down quickly and pull the solder off fast. 2 passes maximum and always in the same direction (Left to right or up and down) Do it while the board is still hot right after the lift
                                    Last edited by newtothis; 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Yes was using a generic principle as a standard machine. I have Elsteins across the board on mine and uprated SSRs, Complete rewire too.

I agree totally with that article you have posted except I would advise anyone that when removing the old solder from the BGA area not to even touch the pads with the iron tip... A good chisel tip is great with pooled leaded solder... drag the pool across the pads collecting the old solder with the tip never making contact. Good braid at the right size is essential too to get the heat down quickly and pull the solder off fast. 2 passes maximum and always in the same direction (Left to right or up and down) Do it while the board is still hot right after the lift
                                      With board still hot, you mean above 150 degrees or under.
                                      Dushi Kòrsou, Nos Tei.

Comment

Working...
                                      X