CDM4/19 on Technics cd dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDM4/19 on Technics cd dead?

I received a technics SL-PJ28A cd-player, it was sold as working, but it's not. Luckily I got a full refund. The cd would not spin at all, some kind of click is all it does. The laser/head doesn't move or even glow red.
    It has Philips CDM4/19 mechanism. Is it repairable?

Re: CDM4/19 on Technics cd dead?

Was the transit clip fitted when transported? it may still be on.

I have also seen the ribbon cable from the laser split, I'd doubt if laser assembly is still available

Comment

Where's the transit clip? The player has not been opened since it left the factory 25 years ago. The laser warning sticker was loose inside.

Comment

The logic board is faulty. The laser mechanism itself works fine with a logic board from another player and with it the player works.
        Do these have common faults?
        Last edited by Xenon-Codex; 05-13-2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Capacitor C2521 47uF/25V it is a blue Philips capacitor that can get a high ESR.

Replace it with a new. The first that will happen when the cd is loaded is that the laser try to focus. If it fails to focus it will not spin up the cd. If it fails you will only hear a ticking sound.

When I replaced the capacitor in my technics SL-PG440A I first thought I failed with the replacement as it still did not spin up the cd. It turned out that the laser lens was stuck in top position after I had the CDM4 up side down. It was just a matter of gently put a little pressure on the lens and it sunk down to its resting position.

I know this is an old post but this is a very common fault that is very easy to fix so it demands a proper answer
          Last edited by niclasf; 11-09-2023, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X