WTF was Dell smoking with this 280?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF was Dell smoking with this 280?

Just recapped a GX280....all Rubycon and Panasonic except for three Nichicon HNs near the memory slots.

They must have know something was up with Nichicon or else it wouldn't be filled with Rubycon and Panasonic...so why leave three HNs? Could they not bear to toss them out of the supply bins at the mobo factory?

Anyway, the three 820uF 6.3V HNs have been replaced with the fixed (2009 dated) version.
    Last edited by hardwareguy; 02-19-2010, 01:19 AM.

Re: WTF was Dell smoking with this 280?

i have seen that too.wondered the same thing.iirc both boards i had looked to have been recapped.lazy?
    replacing these fixed the instability and memtest errors.

Comment

I have a GX280 like that too. Panasonics and Rubycon everywhere but 3 HM's under the PCI slot.

Comment

Seen a few of those myself. seen it on some gx270's as well, cpu filters were a mix of HN's and MCZ's.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by hardwareguy
          Could they not bear to toss them out of the supply bins at the mobo factory?
          Capacitors have feelings too you know
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
            Beancounters have feelings too you know

There; I fixed it for you.

Comment

picking on beans now.. hey, i like beans.. they make me go puff puff...

Comment

What's even worse is when manufacturers use a mix of Rubycon and GSC/Sacon.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

or on hot-running (passive cooled) thinclients: a mix of Sanyo WG and GSC

guess which ones caused instabilities?

Comment

Working...
                  X