Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

This is a two part question.
    1. Can I buy any capacitor just based on the 1500 and 6.3v, or are there other things that I need to learn?

2. What capacitors should I buy? Two (FZ78 1500 6.3v), and one (FZ78 1000 6.3v) broke. I hadn't even been over using my computer that day.

The two big ones are the 1500's. I take it that means how much it holds?

Re: Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

2 of https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40 and 1 of https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=48

If there are other capacitors of this type on the card, I would replace them even if they still look fine.

Comment

you have sacon fz. those things are so BAD! as you have seen they explode with force. make all of them go away. NOW!
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It's that simple? Wikipedia was talking about resistance in perecent. Thanks!

Comment

There are at least 10 of these on that card. ALL need to be replaced. Not just these blown ones.

FZ are KNOWN bad brand and 'always' fail. If you don't fix them now, you'll be back doing it again, or they'll end up killing your card.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Yes it's that simple.
            If you don't replace all the FZ series caps you have a good chance of eventually causing permanent damage to other components.

I have no idea what you saw on wikipedia but it doesn't make much sense in talking about caps.

GSC changed their name because their products were such crap.
            http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...5ffa94030d2d34

Their new names are Sacon and Evercon.
            Guest who makes -> SACON <- FZ series caps.
            http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=FZ+ba...5ffa94030d2d34

Now, Sacon and Evercon's site just went 'poof' again, like the old GSC site did.
            We are waiting to see what their next new name will be.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Thought this might help.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...79&postcount=8

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Exact same capacitors I just replaced on my motherboard and 1 on my video card. All Sacon FZ on the mobo and Sacon Evercon on the video card. I replaced em with Rubycons. Easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                  There are at least 10 of these on that card. ALL need to be replaced. Not just these blown ones.

FZ are KNOWN bad brand and 'always' fail. If you don't fix them now, you'll be back doing it again, or they'll end up killing your card.

Toast
                  All right, here is a picture of the video card model I have. I shooped it so that the colors match.

Only 2 Large A's are blown
                  (\n for next line)
                  A: 3x(FZ78 \n 1500 \n 6.3v) 1x(FZ78 \n 1000 \n 6.3v)
                  B + E: 3x(FZ79 \n 470 \n 16v)
                  C: 1x(642 \n SVP \n 330 \n 16)
                  D: 1x(628 \n SVP \n 330 \n 16)
                  F: 1x(square \n A 779 \n 1200 \n 4V)
                  G: 3x(square 7YZ \n 100 \n 16v)
                  H: 1x(68 \n 470 \n 16 A)

If this is going to be really hard, I might as well just buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121340
                  It's cheaper and faster. But I at least want to try.

Comment

So I looked though the store and found these:
                    Code:
                    1500uF 6.3v 10mm MCZ Series $1.83 x3
                    1000uF 6.3v 8mm MBZ Series  $0.49 x1 
                    470uF 16v 8mm GD Series	  $1.28 x3
                    I couldn't find any caps like C, D, F, G or H. Is it possible that these type aren't made?

Comment

no, re-cap it. that way you have one that is reliable... newegg would get you another ticking time-bomb...

how could it be cheaper to buy new? caps are far cheaper than 50 bux... i have recapped p3 coppermine boards... and those were worth far less than 50.

do you have a decent iron (no 22w pos for radio s***)? solder sucker/dentist pick? get those and some solder, and order caps. once you get the hang of it, its easy.

if you have crappy skills, practice on a dead board... any circuit board will do. thats the best way to be a better solder monkey.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

No, you don't need to replace all of those.
                        Just the FZ

C&D are: Sanyo OSCON, SVP, 330uF, 16v -- Good Cap
                        F is Chemicon PSA series: 1200uF, 4v -- Good Cap
                        G&H: Not sure but not FZ so -probably- not a problem. Those are up to you.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

If you want to do the others try digikey.com.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Thanks! For reference, I attached what I bought.
                            Attached Files

Comment

They worked! %100 back to normal. Thanks!

Comment

Congrats!

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

A strange thing has started to happen. I put my computer in sleep mode a lot. It has always woken up fine, but recently, it will fail to wake up, then try to reboot like a failed car engine. It sometimes works after 5 tries. I removed the video card and everything is fine, so it must be the card. When I had finished putting the caps on, the last one was a little loose, could that have affected it? Also, the fan on the card is sounding funky.

Comment

Originally posted by garrettair
                                    Thanks! For reference, I attached what I bought.
                                    I have no idea what all that is. Nothing opens. Just a text file would be fine.

What do you mean by "sounds funky"?
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

I think you may have a problem on +5v or +5vsb.
                                      -
                                      +5vsb enables the wake.
                                      RAM has power in standby from +5vsb then switches to +5v on wake.
                                      GPU fan is -probably- a 5v fan. [Please check.]

Was that loose cap on 5v?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

The loose cap was a 16v.

Comment

Working...
                                        X