• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-machine T2040

This one came into my shop yesterday.
    Attached Files

Re: E-machine T2040

board has the red plague as well as the capacitor plague.
    if you recap it recap the psu too or replace it.those often have the bestec "blow em up special"

Comment

Agree. If it has a bestec (worstec) PSU, replace it or re-cap it as it will take the board out if it hasn't done so already.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Is that reddish color from your camera lighting/flash or is that something else?

Looks like you have lots of bulging capacitors there. What kind of power supply does it have (brand and model number)? The power supply might be the deciding factor in whether or not you want to recap the mother board.
        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
          Agree. If it has a bestec (worstec) PSU, replace it or re-cap it as it will take the board out if it hasn't done so already.
          That would be the Bestec ATX-250 rev 12E only. Other Bestecs don't usually have this problem.
          By the way, what is the brand of the failed caps? Seems like TMS (a.k.a. Total Monkey Shit) but I can't tell from the photos.

Comment

yes those are tms(too much shit)
            and that box is in the era of bestec bombs.

Comment

PSU is Bestec ATX-250-12E. Tried recapping mobo, but the new solder would not take to the mobo. The computer was left out in the "barn" for a while.
              I trash the mobo. The CPU and ram seem to have survived the abuse. I will be checking the PSU today.

The red is on the caps. Some type of corrosion, I believe.

Jon Nailor

Comment

New update. PSU checks out. No bad caps there.

Jon Nailor

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                  That would be the Bestec ATX-250 rev 12E only. Other Bestecs don't usually have this problem.
                  By the way, what is the brand of the failed caps? Seems like TMS (a.k.a. Total Monkey Shit) but I can't tell from the photos.

You guessed right. TMS 105C 6.3v 1500uf

Comment

Originally posted by Arcticwolf
                    New update. PSU checks out. No bad caps there.
                    It's not the capacitors in the Bestec ATX-250 12E that are the problem - it's just that this particular model (ATX-250 12E) has flaws in the 5vsb circuit. (5vsb circuit is the rail that gives power to your computer when it's turned off or in standby mode). A lot of times with this power supply, 5vsb overshoots way over 5v and kills the motherboard.
                    With that said, don't use this power supply on any motherboard, ever. Use it for parts only (fan, wires, coils, and the 200v primary capacitors).

Originally posted by Arcticwolf
                    Tried recapping mobo, but the new solder would not take to the mobo.
                    Is your soldering iron hot enough? 30w is minimum for motherboards.
                    Also try putting a little bit of solder on the tip before soldering. This should improve heat transfer.

When you recap the motherboard, try it with a different power supply. There is still a chance that it will work.

By the way, what brand and series of capacitors are you using as the replacements?
                    Last edited by momaka; 11-30-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I use 2 irons, one 30w and one switchable 35, 50. Niether would work. Solder other boards with no problem. It is just this board.

I replace with Rubycon, when I can.

Jon Nailor
                      Last edited by Arcticwolf; 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

You could send it to Topcat and he could re-cap it for you. I agree with momaka about the PSU. There are more problems with the Worstec ATX-250 rev. 12E than the caps, so either toss it out or use it for parts.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The only eMachines that survive are the ones where the motherboard caps go before the Bestec caps do--providing the service person knows which Bestec must be taken out of service even if they still work.
                          sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                          X