Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The extrasensory perception solder iron.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extrasensory perception solder iron.

How to modify normal temperature controlled solder iron to extrasensory perception solder iron.

1,2) The new soldering iron tip is oxidized after two or three days of usage. Opened it, so tiny Triac.

3) cut the Trace, connect to a contact switch. Adjust the temperature control potentiometer to maximum power.

4) here is the extrasensory perception solder iron. Close your eyes, you can feel your soul connect with your solder iron together and mind combination. With a touch of your fingertips, you control the whole world.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capwizard; 02-26-2019, 02:46 PM.

Re: The extrasensory perception solder iron.

oxidised?
    wet sponge user??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      oxidized?
      wet sponge user??
      It always dries out like a piece of potato chip and stainless steel wool for kitchen scratched the solder iron tip.
      Last edited by capwizard; 02-26-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

your supposed to use BRASS wool - lol

Comment

BRASS wool! I have never heard it before!

I thought that was the color of the plating on steel-wool.

Asking a question, my soldering iron sponge is a kitchen cleaning sponge, is that OK?
          Last edited by capwizard; 02-26-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I'm kind of worried that there are some "imitation" brass wools out there, which are really plastic that has a metallic copper color on it... Sticking a hot iron in this stuff would not quite clean the solder iron tip...

Comment

i'v not seen it, but a magnet would find steel even if it was painted pink and wearing a pussy-hat.

Comment

If it were that easy for finding the copper/brass wool which is what we need for our solder irons...

"hey, what are you doing, what is that you're doing with our pot scrubbers!!!"

"oh, this is just a multimeter..."

(if only this was sufficient?)

But back on topic...OH...now I understand what this topic was about... ...mutter... forgot to turn off my solder iron station again...
                Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-27-2019, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Excuse me, can I have a question?

How can we make brass wool, can I use brass beads or junk copper wires? Is there a better way, methods, materials to do it?

I have never used the brass wool in my 45 years of experience with soldering iron. Maybe it’s my negligence or I am too stingy to spend money on equipment. Maybe this is why my soldering iron tips are not durable.

When I was a kid I always put the colophony in a very shallow iron plate with abandoned solder wastes then inserted red hot soldering iron tip inside the pool. it's kind of funny, smoke came out and all the solder wastes will have a cohesive force and stick together then I let the solder iron tip slide inside.

My question is that good for solder iron tips?
                  Last edited by capwizard; 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Probably too stingy. Brass wool isn't necessary but it sure keeps things in good shape. I have one piece of brass wool and have yet to change it, though it probably is time. I'm too stingy to buy more

You can make your own brass wool, it's pretty much just copper shaving.

Taking a closer look at my brass wool, it's not as bad as I thought... I thought it would be too contaminated with solder, burnt flux, dross, and other crap to be used anymore.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-27-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

anybody with a lathe can make the stuff, just give them a brass rod and let them cut it down.

Comment

I hate (Hakko) brass wool, I find it's hard on tips scratches the plating. Damp sponges have always worked fine. Not making a steam bath like some dumb people seem to enjoy.
                        If there is black slag on a tip, I use a piece of wood to scrape it off.

Comment

I think everyone misunderstood me.

Actually, what I am trying to say is that if you use extrasensory perception solder iron you will never need to clean your soldering iron tips again. The iron solder tip is controlled by your mind and your Sixth Sense, you will never need to clean the solder iron tip. Why don't you give it a try? it's easy as 123, just put a switch on your solder iron. Trust me, you know your solder tips will have tremendous Improvement.

When you work under the car installing a security system, repair HVAC on the rooftop or on the ladder trying to solder one wire inside the ceiling fan, you will have no room for solder iron workstation with a damp sponge or cup of brass wool.
                          Last edited by capwizard; 02-27-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

let's just say for example the soldering iron I post over #1 is very small and lightweight, 110v, so I like it.

1,2) Problem is the temperature control not even use Bang Bang worse than that it uses Triac to control the temperature. that's why every 2-3 day I need to change another solder iron tip.
                            Another one is the soldering iron tip after I modified.
                            Attached Files

Comment

let's just say for example the soldering iron I post over #1 is very small and lightweight, AC 110v, so I like it.

1) Problem is the temperature control not even use Bang Bang worse than that it uses Triac to control the temperature. that's why every 2-3 day I need to change another solder iron tip.

2) Another one is the soldering iron tip after I modified, tip no needs to clean. The main difference is one is always on, the other one is always off.

Wow...wow...I double posted again.
                              Last edited by capwizard; 02-27-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I think the heating time would annoy me, even if it were just a few seconds to get up to temperature, plus it limits how one can hold the iron. Oh yeah, I'm a trapeze artist on holding the iron, just need to make sure I don't hold onto the metal part.

The reduction of waste of power/fire hazard of leaving an iron on would the main benefits to me...

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
                                  let's just say for example the soldering iron I post over #1 is very small and lightweight, AC 110v, so I like it.

1) Problem is the temperature control not even use Bang Bang worse than that it uses Triac to control the temperature. that's why every 2-3 day I need to change another solder iron tip.

2) Another one is the soldering iron tip after I modified, tip no needs to clean. The main difference is one is always on, the other one is always off.

Wow...wow...I double posted again.
                                  Here is what I find

If you use a iron that does not have any type of temperature controller then you will have to continually have to clean the tip

If your iron has a temperature controller and you set the temperature to high then will also continually have to clean the tip

If your iron has a temperature controller and you set to low then you will not have very good soldering joints

If your iron has a temperature controller and you set the temperature correctly then you not have to clean your tip very often and you will get very good soldering joints
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-03-2019, 08:36 AM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                    Here is what I find

If you use a iron that does not have any type of temperature controller then you will have to continually have to clean the tip

If your iron has a temperature controller and you set the temperature to high then will also continually have to clean the tip

If your iron has a temperature controller and you set to low then you will not have very good soldering joints

If your iron has a temperature controller and you set the temperature correctly then you not have to clean your tip very often and you will get very good soldering joints

OK, This is what I found:

Just add a on/off switch to soldering iron. soldering iron tip will be oxidized very...very...slowly.
                                    Last edited by capwizard; 03-04-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I was always wondering about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColdHeat until I finally figured out what was going on there. Not acceptable for microelectronics work.

Comment

I used to have this resistant Soderling iron from RadioShack after I used and opened it to see what's inside then I threw it in my junk piles.

The best soldering tools I ever used which I have had more than 10 of them is this: Hakko 808 Desoldering Tool. I know it is a desoldering tool but I used as soldering Iron. Hakko 808 only has one problem is very hard to clean. In this rapidly changing electronic world (SMD), it is no longer useful than a hot air gun.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by capwizard; 03-05-2019, 07:09 AM. Reason: 808 Desoldering Tool - Desoldering - Products

Comment

Working...
                                        X