ubuntu= sweet

in fact, im using ubuntu 9.04 NOW

you can do anything with ubuntu
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: gateway desktop no post

Originally posted by everell
      Voltages on both power supplies look OK, and the photos look good. I did not see any bulged capacitors, nor did I see any burn areas on the pc boards indicating a problem. Usually the Bestec will have a burned area near the small transformer if it is giving a problem.

Next step - make a list of the capacitors in the power supplies and on the motherboards. The capacitors need to be listed by brand, capacitance ( a number followed by uF), and voltage. The members on this site will be happy to tell you which capacitors are the potential problems and need to be replaced. I would go for cap replacements next, then consider reflashing the bios chip if it still doesn't work. There is a guy on ebay that will reflash you eprom for about five bucks. I have had him do it for me on two motherboards that were dead. Worked on both of them.

Both power supplies working is good news. The mother board that spins the fan and can be stopped shows that the southbridge chip is not blasted. If this board had a catastropic surge, I would have expected the southbridge chip to be shot. So I think there is hope for this board. As we continue, you might get the other board to work also. One of the boards that I did the reflash on the bios chip was totally dead, and would not spin the fan. So you never know till you experiment, and learn lots of new things about computer boards.

If the southbridge is working, I would think the northbridge is PROBABLY working also. No need to unsolder it and take it off the board. Do both of these mother boards have on board video? If they do, the mother boards will have a video connector soldered directly to the mother board.
      Just curious a motherboard that spins the fan but will not shut down by pushing the power switch for two or three seconds is this an indication that the southbridge is fried?

Comment

If the fan starts spinning when you push the Power-On button ........AND........if you hold the Power-On button in for four seconds the fan stops, the southbridge is operating properly. If this is NOT what is happening on the mother board you are working on, there are two possibilities: either the southbridge is fried ....OR ......there is some other serious problem preventing the southbridge from working. This is a simple test to do. If it passes the test you KNOW that the southbridge is doing something so is NOT totally blown. If it has problems, you will find that out later down the road. But if it does not pass the test, do NOT automatically assume the southbridge is blown. Hope this answer helps.
        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by davg
          I am surprised!!!! With the board out and following your instructions it do post??? If i turn it of and on though sometimes it will post and sometimes it wouldn't. I have not put it back into the case yet i am too excited, but I did try it with the cmos battery installed and it will post.
          Its back to square one. I just installed a software program on this one and when it shut down to complete the installation it would no shut all the way off, and I had to power off with the main switch. When I turned it back on it would not post same as before. It was working fine until than even passsed all test using PC CHECK I have completed all of the above steps in this thread but no go. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X