X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ibm Netvista 6569

Hi!
    Sorry for my English but I am Italian.
    I replaced ALL (just ALL) the electrolytic capacitors on my IBM NetVista 6569 but my pc restarts during the start-up. If I heat the capacitors near the CPU with a hair dryer the problem disappears.
    I used capacitors ELNA.
    Can you help? Thank you!

Angelo

Re: Ibm Netvista 6569

Hi Angelo,

if you read some discussion here you will find out that there are several type of capacitors/brands and they can be use on MOBO or PSU (Power Supply Unit) according to their characteristic: caps that are not god for VRM can be good on PSU output...

In your case probably the caps are not good for VRM, or maybe there are bad joints.

What series of Elna have you used?
    AFAIK there are no Elna caps suitable for MOBO or at least I have never read a single post on them. Usually the brands suggested are Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic, Samxon, Sanyo, Chemicon...
    What caps were present on MOBO before you replaced them?

The ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) of cap reduces its value when the cap heat up; probably when you heat capacitors up their ESR reduce and they can give all the current needed by CPU. Reducing ESR means to have lower ripple too.

Ciao
    Gianni
    Last edited by Gianni; 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM. Reason: Added phrase
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Comment

I agree with Gianni.

ELNA is good brand but they don't make caps with low enough ESR for most uses on a motherboard.

ELNA is not junk caps. - Motherboards is just not what they make caps for.

Each brand has several 'series' of caps. -> Different models.
      You need to use caps from a series that have low enough ESR for the application.

The brands Gianni mentioned all make some series' of caps with low enough ESR for motherboards.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Hi!. Thanks for the answers.
        The original capacitors were CHHSI WG series. I have replaced them with capacitors ELNA series RE2J.
        If I find capacitors with low ESR will try to replace them.
        Thanks!

Comment

Yes, CHHSI are junk.
          I can't look up specs though because they killed their site years ago.

The ELNA Series codes I can find are all 3 digits so I don't know what RE2J is either.
          Closest I could find was RE3.

~~ But ~~
          Several of that same board has been done here before.
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2810
          -
          As you can see one of them came factory with Nichicon HD series near where (I assume by the next photo in the thread) you have CHHSI caps.
          HD is the grade most P3 boards use even in CPU power.

Nichicon HD, Rubycon ZL, Chemicon KZE, Sanyo WX, and Samxon GK are all that same grade.
          Should not be hard to source those. They are a common grade.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Hello. Can you recommend where to buy good capacitors online?
            Thank you!

Comment

if you have Paypal...

http://stores.ebay.it/PC-MotherBoard...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

or ask BigPope (user on this forum).

database with available caps:
              http://capsmod.net/caps/index.php

Comment

PC MotherBoard Capacitors Store is located in Hong Kong ... There is a shop in Europe? I live in Italy!
                Thank you!

Comment

Hi fastdius

I have bought Panasonic caps at RSComponets in Italy, they have FM and FC series.

They have also Nichicon and Nippon Chemi-Con but I have not checked if they are suitable for MOBO.

You can find Rubycon ZL at Distrelec. They have also ZLH.

Another place is Digikey but i have not use it because they didn't give me good explanation about final price and delivery.

I think you will never find good caps (low ESR - high ripple current) in small electronics shop because they are not general purpose componets.

Ciao
                  Gianni
                  "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                  H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by fastdius
                    PC MotherBoard Capacitors Store is located in Hong Kong ... There is a shop in Europe? I live in Italy!
                    Thank you!
                    he ships worldwide (except mexico).
                    don't know why, but shipping to italy is insured only.

bought caps there a few times and never had problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                      don't know why, but shipping to italy is insured only.

high number of "missing" packages.
                      you are lucky they even ship to italy.
                      from what i have heard the postal service there is corrupt and anything of value often dissapears.

Comment

KC8 is right but this is only half truth: even the custom office is somewhat untrustworthly and italian postal service is famous for out of time deliveries (shippig from outside EU can take months to reach destination: a month seems the minimum wait for goods from HK, a pair of headphones I bought took 2 months). Insurance is severely limited (you have to prove the value with a survey and, nevertheless, it won't cover the entire amount) and is tought to be a "safety tax" (insured shippings should reach destination undamaged, at least not so damaged).
                        For abroad shippings wait times are long to discourage italians from buying online , in other cases it's due to inefficient mail sorting: mail is collected from postal offices in small town ad shipped to big sorting centrals, sorted and the shipped to destination. The process may take days, according if the central is overwhelmed by mail or not. Some banks now rely on couriers for shipping documents to clients due to slow shippings to neighbour cities ...

Zandrax
                        Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                          from what i have heard the postal service there is corrupt
                          Only the postal service?

Italy is a beautiful country but unfortunately we have a lot of problems and few things work fine like other European countries.
                          For the reason you and zandrax mentioned, I buy online but I prefer to go in person to pick up goods I buy.

RSComponents is at 50KM from where I live but I prefer to go there to collect components that spending money and than cross my fingers waiting for postal/courier delivery.

Ciao
                          Gianni
                          Last edited by Gianni; 01-08-2009, 08:27 AM. Reason: Typo
                          H. J. Brown

Comment

@ fastdius: I don't know where you are in Italy, but I have found a company near Ancona selling Rubycon caps: www.cbs.it
                            You can send an e-mail to have information at cbs@cbs.it

Ciao
                            Gianni
                            H. J. Brown

Comment

Hi!
                              I bought 20pcs Rubycon ZL 1200μ/10V on ebay.
                              We hope good.
                              I shall know them after mounting.
                              Thanks to all.
                              HELLO!

Comment

Be careful when you will replace the caps, it is easy to break traces or pads, let us know if you succeed.

Ciao
                                Gianni
                                H. J. Brown

Comment

Digikey service

I can speak for Digikey....

Very fast delivery and reasonable shipping cost.

Good after-sale communication via email too.

But they refuse to tell you what the shipping charges are before packaging and shipping. You place the order and the next morning they email you with what they just charged you for. After they ship it.

I just got a whole big box of PR and KY caps from them... it was only $6.80 shipping for USPS Priority Mail 2-3 day delivery. Everything was well packaged and all the caps were in bags of 10 or 20.

I can understand reluctance to authorize a charge without a final price, but they've been quite fair and very speedy.

Also, they send you a real Doorstop of a catalog for free with your first order. There's nothing like having it on paper.

Have Fun,
                                  Sick at home Keri
                                  The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I liked Italy.
                                    Except when that cop pointed an automatic rifle at me for trying to take a photo of some 'bust' going on.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

@ KeriJane: probably because you are in USA you have no problem with Digikey.
                                      I don't say they are bad, but I don't like to buy something without knowing exactly what I'm going to spend.
                                      If I'm not wrong, I had to pay the catalog price + delivery charge + extra taxes because the goods come from outside Italy; the person I talked with was not able to give me an idea of the money I would have spent to buy caps from them.

It's a pity that RSComponets doesn't sell Rubycon or other good MOBO caps, in the past they used to sell Rubycon YXF, not very low ESR but good for PSU.

@ PCBONEZ: do you mean you have been in Italy and you had problems?

Ciao
                                      Gianni
                                      H. J. Brown

Comment

@ PCBONEZ:
                                        With bust are you referring to a strike/demonstration, a street fight or an inmportant meeting e.g. of heads of state? Did you remember where and when it happened?

Zandrax
                                        Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
                                        X