Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is the most underrated "bad cap" brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think is the most underrated "bad cap" brand?

I would vote for OST as the most underrated "bad cap" brand, and I have seen them in a number of satellite receivers from a particular manufactuer issued by a Pay TV company.

As my signature shows, I would prefer Chemi-Con, with the only exception being audio grade units.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

What about Jamicon? I see fare less of these than I do with Teapo/OST/Fuhjyyu/CapXon in PSUs.

Comment

Jamicons are probably the worst brand I've seen. I'd give CapXon's a year at least, Jamicons probably less then that.

Comment

Well... the 85*C (1,000 hours rated) Jamicon SSes on all my Sound Blaster Live! Value cards are all still going strong... but even crap like Wincap holds up well there (those too are 1,000 hour 85*C capacitors).... the Jamicons that I usually see fail are on +5VSB or aren't in well ventilated and cooled applications and often, being GP, have a very low ripple rating. I definitely don't think Jamicon is worse than CapXon, though.... I have seen more failed CapXons than an other commonly known brand...

Comment

Back in 2008 I took apart three JVC 27" TV's, they were made in 2001, 2003, and 2004 and had basically the same chassis.

The one made in 2004 had Jamicons, and they were almost all under spec. The CRT was also shot. The one made in 2001 was in the best shape of the three. It had those LE branded caps.

Comment

I would put Jamicon leaps and bounds ahead of CrapXon. I've seen Bestec mix the two of them, I found one unstable, turns out the CapXon on the -12V and 5V rail were bulging, but not the Jamicon on the 12V and 5VSB (System was a Prescott P4, so 12V heavy)

Comment

How good is AsiaX? Because I've had several old Antecs (Channel Well) where the 2000uF, 10V cap in the +5Vstandby circuit failed if it was Teapo or Koshin but never when it was AsiaX (not just physical appearance but also capacitance and ESR).

Comment

AsiaX is just rebranded Fuhjyyu. Hit and miss, leaning on the "miss" side.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                    I would vote for OST as the most underrated "bad cap" brand, and I have seen them in a number of satellite receivers from a particular manufactuer issued by a Pay TV company.

As my signature shows, I would prefer Chemi-Con, with the only exception being audio grade units.
                    I've see quite a few bad OST capacitors, particularly in some cramped FSP PSUs. Possibly ventilation and cooling would be a contributing factor.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                    Well... the 85*C (1,000 hours rated) Jamicon SSes on all my Sound Blaster Live! Value cards are all still going strong... but even crap like Wincap holds up well there (those too are 1,000 hour 85*C capacitors).... the Jamicons that I usually see fail are on +5VSB or aren't in well ventilated and cooled applications and often, being GP, have a very low ripple rating. I definitely don't think Jamicon is worse than CapXon, though.... I have seen more failed CapXons than an other commonly known brand...
                    For some odd reason, Creative and Ensoniq loves to use G-Luxon capacitors. I find plenty of them on EMU docks and Sound Blaster series soundcards.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      AsiaX is just rebranded Fuhjyyu. Hit and miss, leaning on the "miss" side.
                      Yup, same goes for Jun Fu.

I would say Taicon are probably the 'best of the worst'. I haven't had too many problems with them. Nichicon's influence over them seems to have made them somewhat competent.

As for Teapo, I class them down with CapXon. They're somewhat better than Fuhjyyu/AsiaX/JunFu, but not by much.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by lexwalker View Post
                        I've see quite a few bad OST capacitors, particularly in some cramped FSP PSUs. Possibly ventilation and cooling would be a contributing factor.

For some odd reason, Creative and Ensoniq loves to use G-Luxon capacitors. I find plenty of them on EMU docks and Sound Blaster series soundcards.
                        Err, I meant any other commonly known brand. G-Luxon on Sound Blaster card sucks... they might have been okay on old, low stress audio cards but that's it.

As for Teapo, I class them down with CapXon. They're somewhat better than Fuhjyyu/AsiaX/JunFu, but not by much.
                        I agree on the 'bad batches' of Teapo. But the 'good' batches of Teapo (for whatever they're worth, technically speaking, for the lower purity of Taiwanese aluminum foil, you can't really have a 'good' batch) seem to do quite well, about as well as a good lot of Taicon or Jamicon capacitors. However, I have seen far too many Taicon failures on motherboards to classify them as good. They might do well in Delta power supplies but so do Ltec...

Comment

The most underrated capacitor brand I'd say is probably ELNA or Vishay-Sprague.

Sprague still makes some hard-to-get axial capacitors (along with nichicon), and ELNA makes some of the best audio capacitors. Their RE3 general purpose series is still fantastic for recapping soundcards and synths even if they're not cerafine/silmics.
                          *On a side note, Nichicon capacitors always have incredible bass, must be something in the formula.

TEAPO/G-Luxon/OST/Su'scon/Jackcon/Wincap etc are total bottom of the barrel, always. If used in real-time applications such as audio, you can *hear* how they don't have any filtering/bass; even if you got lucky and they didn't come pre-bulged from the factory.

Comment

Teapo can do well in well cooled areas but I replace them on sight and I will only ever leave them in the primaries of non PFC PSU's

Comment

Originally posted by theokretes View Post
                              The most underrated capacitor brand I'd say is probably ELNA or Vishay-Sprague.

Sprague still makes some hard-to-get axial capacitors (along with nichicon), and ELNA makes some of the best audio capacitors. Their RE3 general purpose series is still fantastic for recapping soundcards and synths even if they're not cerafine/silmics.
                              *On a side note, Nichicon capacitors always have incredible bass, must be something in the formula.

TEAPO/G-Luxon/OST/Su'scon/Jackcon/Wincap etc are total bottom of the barrel, always. If used in real-time applications such as audio, you can *hear* how they don't have any filtering/bass; even if you got lucky and they didn't come pre-bulged from the factory.
                              This is all very dubious and subject to anecdote. The fact is, given a blind test, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between two brands of caps used in an audio circuit (with the stipulation that they're precisely equivalent in spec).
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I don't know why you put Jackcon in that list with the other brands. Jackcon caps are just as bad as GSC/Evercon/Sacon caps, if not worse. I've seen them fail with very little stress. I have a bunch of bad ones that were removed from audio equipment that was powered by a linear power supply.

I haven't been able to tell the difference between different brands of caps unless some were bad or had different capacitance ratings. I did notice more power supply noise in my headphone amp when I replaced the Jackcon filter cap (the only good Jackcon cap I've ever seen) with a Lelon.

The only brands of caps I've seen fail under very little stress (such as audio equipment) are Jackcon and Fujicon. My headphone amp has Lelon, JEC, and G-Luxon caps in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  This is all very dubious and subject to anecdote. The fact is, given a blind test, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between two brands of caps used in an audio circuit (with the stipulation that they're precisely equivalent in spec).
                                  Absolutely, two 470uF TEAPO or WINCAP capacitors do not have the same bass frequency response as two 470uF ELNA or Nichicon caps.

I regularly do recordings from various soundcards, and after removing the disgusting chinese decoupling caps, the bass becomes a lot more colourful when using quality ones.

No one should be using TEAPO or G-Luxon anyways. They are *not* proper capacitors-- they do not deliver their specified ratings, they usually come pre-bulged, and screw audio and data circuits up.

Comment

Absolutely, two 470uF TEAPO or WINCAP capacitors do not have the same bass frequency response as two 470uF ELNA or Nichicon caps.

I regularly do recordings from various soundcards, and after removing the disgusting chinese decoupling caps, the bass becomes a lot more colourful when using quality ones.

No one should be using TEAPO or G-Luxon anyways. They are *not* proper capacitors-- they do not deliver their specified ratings, they usually come pre-bulged, and screw audio and data circuits up.
                                    I'll grant you that (I've personally had Teapo work quite well for many years out in the field), but a cap is a cap is a cap... What I have issue with is this:
                                    Let's take two equivalent series of caps, say Nichicon PW and Panasonic FHQ (FC's predecessor). Are you claiming that you could tell a difference in sound with either of these series installed in an amp?
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                      I'll grant you that (I've personally had Teapo work quite well for many years out in the field), but a cap is a cap is a cap... What I have issue with is this:

Let's take two equivalent series of caps, say Nichicon PW and Panasonic FHQ (FC's predecessor). Are you claiming that you could tell a difference in sound with either of these series installed in an amp?
                                      Not necessarily in a pure amplifier, but part of both a smaller amplifier and decoupling circuit in a sound card. This is especially true for soundcards that incorporate frequency modulation synthesis. FM synthesis is very sensitive to frequency response.

There would definitely be a difference in sound from a nichicon and panasonic capacitor (if you had two 470uF nichicon and pannies). Nichicons get a lot of bass.

Myself and others have demonstrated recapping various soundcards to prove this effect, the nichicons always come out the strongest. I've wanted to try ELNA cerafine/silmic, but there's a lot of knockoffs around, and finding a vendor for genuine ones will be both expensive and difficult.

In any case, the chinese capacitors suffer from two symptoms:
                                      #1 they fail to filter out white noise
                                      #2 they lack proper bass response

Other brands like panasonic simply won't procure as much bass. I prefer panasonic for low-ESR stuff than audio. Rubycon's ZLH series even though being low ESR has a bizarre amount of bass as well.

Comment

There would definitely be a difference in sound from a nichicon and panasonic capacitor (if you had two 470uF nichicon and pannies). Nichicons get a lot of bass.

Myself and others have demonstrated recapping various soundcards to prove this effect, the nichicons always come out the strongest. I've wanted to try ELNA cerafine/silmic, but there's a lot of knockoffs around.
                                        Premium audio capacitors definitely have their unique sonic signatures, but whether it makes a material difference depends on the specific purpose it is used for.

Almost all of them differ when used in coupling/DC blocking - in descending order of preference:

Rubycon Black Gate NX-HiQ > NX > N > PK > F > FK > STD
                                        Sanyo Oscon SA > SC
                                        Nichicon Muse KZ > KW > SW > FG
                                        Elna Cerafine > RE3 > Silmic II > Silmic > Tonerex > Starget > Duorex
                                        Panasonic Pureism > FL > FJ

However, when used for bypass, several other series (in addition to the ones above) do well:

Elna RJJ > RJH > RJ4 > RJ3 > RE2 > R3O > R2O
                                        Panasonic FK > FM > FC > NHG > NHE
                                        Nichicon HD > HE > PX > PW > PJ > PM > PL > PR > PS > VZ > VX > VR
                                        Rubycon ZA > ZL > ZLH

Cerafines don't work out for every application - they tend to be very analytical and dry sounding, and in some applications the tonal balance of Silmics is more well-rounded, even though it loses detail.

Both the Rubycon Black Gates and Nichicon Muses are the kings of detail - tiny and under-rated Muse SW is very close to the Black Gate PK in almost any coupling/bypass application. It's great when space is tight (e.g. sound cards, CD/DVD decoder boards, etc.).

For transparency, Oscons and Polymers are hard to beat, but they have some drawbacks including leakage current, low voltage rating and magnetic leads (most polymers).

Comment

my Sound Blaster Z has Nichicon fwiw.

Comment

Working...
                                          X