hp board with blown panasonic fj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp board with blown panasonic fj

this thing looked like a clogged up cloths dryer when it came in.
    panasonic fj.
    ncc kzg and kzj.
    odd mix of all these on vcore.
    i used mbz on the 10mm parts and 820@2.5 polys on the 8mm.
    Attached Files

Re: hp board with blown panasonic fj

ooh MSI
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
      ooh MSI
      Yeah, MSI MS-6577 aka Xenon: there are some specs on HP site.
      So another case of caps "glued" to the heatsink: did the manifacturer believe P4s were as hot as old P3s?

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

Looking at the last picture, I was wondering where the tube goes
        KT66 perhaps?

Bob

Comment

Yep, nice, cool place for those caps to sit. I don't see any reason why they might've failed ???
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by midibob
            Looking at the last picture, I was wondering where the tube goes
            KT66 perhaps?

Bob
            that is either a 7581a or a 6146.
            btw aopen made several boards with a tube in the audio section.

Comment

I've only heard of the AX4b-533. Short-lived and pricey. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...aopenax4btube/
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                I've only heard of the AX4b-533. Short-lived and pricey.
                Well I guess the audiophools needed to throw their money somewhere since blackgates aren't being manufactured anymore .

I think Russia is the only country still manufacturing new tubes.

I'm sure the current stock of NOS tubes will become gassy messes in the coming decades. I fixed a few tube radios two years back and one of them had a gassy audio tube.

The dancing purple glow was pretty but the audio amp wasn't happy with it. It sounded like a needle slowly dragging over a record.
                Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-17-2008, 07:55 PM.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                  I think Russia is the only country still manufacturing new tubes.
                  You're right there.... only Russia makes them tubes now. I wonder if anyone uses them anymore ever since the transistor was a common use item in electronics.

Anyway, first time I've ever seen blown Panasonic caps, quite a surprise actually.
                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

china makes tubes too.
                    nothing to write home about.
                    the first china tubes i tried were 6146's in my kenwood 830.
                    after 5 minutes they went with a bang.
                    had to replace stuff in the bias section when i put the 20+ year old nec originals back in.the seller accused me of not tuning it up right.
                    funny that i had owned the rig 20 years with the original tubes!
                    thats why i call china tubes glass enclosed firecrackers!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                      thats why i call china tubes glass enclosed firecrackers!
                      Haha just like China's hand tools . You never know when they're going to catastrophically fail thats half the fun . If all the lost skin on my knuckles from broken sockets could tell stories. I got Stanley tools now and my knuckles and I are happy.

I try to use NOS tubes whenever I can. I was just working on old AC/DC sets with mini GE tubes that were readily available and thank goodness cheap.

Originally posted by stevo1210
                      Anyway, first time I've ever seen blown Panasonic caps, quite a surprise actually.
                      Well with them that close to the heatsink you mine as well heatgun them and kill them quickly so you can cut out the middleman .

I've seen Rubycon's, Nichicons, and UCCs. Killed by bad placement that and using 85Cs where 105Cs were needed of course. Some bulged and others needed to be sniffed out with my trusty ESR meter.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

There is a big tube market for electric guitar and bass amps. Hairs are always being split over which 12AX7 to put into which socket, etc. The musos seem to like the Russian tubes over the Chinese versions, and NOS over them all.

I grew up playing on tube amps, and have no particular need for them. For electric bass, I play a single-tube preamp (SWR IOD) into a solid state QSC power amp. No need for tube power amps at all.

I no longer admit to being a guitar player, but if I did, I'd play one of the better modeling preamps. Again, no tubes, no bias, no heat, no hassle.

Comment

tubes?
                          russians were putting tubes in planes...in mid 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiG-25#Design_description
                          "The majority of the on-board avionics were based on vacuum-tube technology, not solid-state electronics."
                          later they list the reasons, but i feel there was only one reason;
                          they didn't have semiconductors to put in..hehe...

Comment

Blackburn is making tubes out of England now... http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

The demand for audio tubes is increasing...

Just look at some of the amps over at manley... especially the stingray! awesome... http://manleylabs.com/containerpages/stingray99.html
                            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                            X