Samsung 64GB Flash Drive Got Corrupt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 64GB Flash Drive Got Corrupt

I have a friend's flash drive I was putting things on for him.. He stressed the importance of not losing it, as there was a bunch of stuff he needed..

As I was copying the files over, I kept getting an error on a particularly large file..

After pulling the drive out a couple times, it became corrupted and wasn't recognized... I get a FORMAT DRIVE requester every time I insert the drive..

Using Windows DISK MANAGEMENT, the drive shows up with F: designation but the File System says RAW: instead of NTFS or any other File System..

How can I save the data on the thumb drive??

Re: Samsung 64GB Flash Drive Got Corrupt

Depends on what filesystem was on there, there are several good tools out there.
    I've had luck with these before:
    https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I believe it was either FAT or FAT32.. One of the glitches said there was not enough space on the thumb drive, even though there was plenty.. That usually indicates that a 4GB> file was trying to copy over to a FAT/FAT32 FS....

I'll check out that recovery software.. Thanx

Comment

EaseUS has a good one. I also use Stellar Phoenix and Icare

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoveryw...y-software.htm

https://www.stellarinfo.com/windows-...ofessional.php

https://www.icare-recovery.com/

Comment

I am using TunesBro DiskGeeker and it worked for me

Comment

He stressed the importance of not losing it, as there was a bunch of stuff he needed..
            At this point I would have given it back to him and had him provide a different device.
            If you google raw file system, it will explain what likely happened.

Comment

seconded, flashdrives are shit and should only be used to transport stuff that exists somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                seconded, flashdrives are shit and should only be used to transport stuff that exists somewhere else.
                Or back it up!

Comment

I've had an old 4 GB "house-brand" flash drive with Samsung chips take a dump on me like that. First I got some read errors when trying to copy a file, then eventually the flash drive started appearing as "RAW". Running a sector scanning utility like HDTune revealed that only the first few MB could be read before the flash drive would freeze up and become unresponsive. So I gave up on it. Nothing I tried could bring it back to life.

I now use that flash drive solely to test if I have wired a USB port correctly (if I happen to run into a PC/system where I need to manually wire a USB port and not sure if I got the wires correctly). Worst case, I'll fry a dead flash drive.

That aside, I also have to say I don't trust new high capacity flash drives either. While most of my 128 MB - 2 GB flash drives have all been very reliable, I've seen dozens of newer flash drives fail. I think the problem is that manufacturers are cramming way too much data on way too little space - especially nowadays on those very tiny flash drives.

Like stj and brethin said, it's best to use them only to move files around (but not with intention to backup). That said, I like CD-Rs the best when it comes to storing data long term. I have some 20-year old CD-Rs, both blank and written with data - and they are all still good. DVDs tend to be very sensitive to scratches due to the higher data density, so I don't use them for anything important. But CDs? Those things are pretty tough. I have some very beat up music CDs that still work perfectly. It's a shame they hold only a measly 650-700 MB of data.
                  Last edited by momaka; 08-02-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                    I have a friend's flash drive I was putting things on for him.. He stressed the importance of not losing it, as there was a bunch of stuff he needed..

Using Windows DISK MANAGEMENT, the drive shows up with F: designation but the File System says RAW: instead of NTFS or any other File System..

How can I save the data on the thumb drive??
                    Take an image of the drive before you start tinkering with it. That way, if your repair attempts result in data loss, you can restore the image and try again.

Comment

I refuse to take possession of other peoples media if they want guarantees the data comes back intact. That is unless they want the data back "best effort" and the intent was to recover as much as possible...

BER of today's media is too risky to take the chance anymore...

Likewise I will never give sole copies to someone else. Not that I don't trust them, I don't trust the media!!!

That said, if it gets to the point the computer thinks the media size is 0 bytes long, it typically will take JTAG (if the flash controller supports it) to recover it :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X