Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS MCP73VT-PM - works fine until Windows boots : BSOD

Hi,

I have this board that I thought I could use to make a Core 2 Duo rig for my father, I've never tested it thoroughly but I did use it to test some graphics cards, CPUs and memory sticks.
    So the other day I plugged in a hard drive with a Windows 7 installation on it, I was not really surprised it didn't work except instead of the usual reboot, I got a BSOD with the "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" error.
    I tried installing Windows 7, and it wouldn't get past the setup loading screen, it would end up with the same error...
    It doesn't matter if it's plugged in IDE or SATA.

I've changed most of the OST caps (none showing obvious signs of failure) that were on it with Panasonic caps, I haven't changed the three Sanyo caps next to the CPU but I doubt it would be useful, and there are nine solid caps around the CPU.
    There are still a few small 6.3V 470uF OST caps but none of them are showing signs of failure.

I've also tried reflowing the nForce 610i chipset.

Should I change the smaller caps too ? There are two near the ATX plug and the DDR2 slots, a bunch of 16V 220uF and 16V 100uF around the two PCI slots near the Realtek ALC888 sound chip.

Thanks

Re: ECS MCP73VT-PM - works fine until Windows boots : BSOD

If the setup always seems to get stuck on the same spot, I would say try different RAM and HDD first. Also, try something other than Windows 7 as well, just to make sure it's not your DVD.

Comment

The BSOD appears either with the original DVD, a copy from the internet or with Windows 7 already installed on a spare HDD. I will try with a Win98 or WinMe hard drive, they're more flexible when using a totally different system than the one they were installed originally.

I've tested the RAM with memtest86+ with this board and it found no error in one pass. It does the same BSOD with various different sticks of RAM.

Comment

Allright I tried with Windows98, I can get to the "new devices" setups, but after installing a few components, the screen goes black and the computer restarts. I can't say at what moment exactly it crashed, I've tried three times and it's a bit random.

I've also tried booting with PartedMagic on the UBCD, it starts loading and show two Linux penguins, and I can see the leds on my keyboard flashing (kernel panic?), then it reboots after a few seconds.

I've just started NSSI from the UBCD and the first thing I see is I may have a virus in the memory. How is that possible ? Does it mean there is a virus in the BIOS ? It don't think it had checked the hard drive at that moment.
        Last edited by SuperDuty; 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Nevermind the virus alert, it's just a bug from the software.

It seems like the EVGA 112-CK-NF70 is the exact same board, with different PCB and connectors color :
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188034

I guess I will try to use the BIOS from EVGA, I doubt it will change anything but we never know.

EDIT : the flash worked perfectly, you do get additional voltage and multiplier settings with the EVGA bios. But I'm still getting the same error...
          I nearly got to the Win98 desktop but I got a BSOD and weird graphical glitches.
          Last edited by SuperDuty; 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Problem seem to be solved...

I guess I had worked previously on this board and I noticed a capacitor was missing near the SATA ports...

I searched for a picture to find what was supposed to be there, and it was a 16V 220uF polymer capacitor. I could only find a Chemicon 16V 330uF polymer in my pile of dead cards.

Windows is installing right now

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
              I got a BSOD with the "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" error.
              CPU core instability! Check Vcore caps! Then check the socket. (especially LGA 775!)

RAM is usually a different code, expect STOP: 0x00000050 or STOP: 0x0000008E.
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of this error.

But as I said, the problem has been solved by replacing a capacitor I had removed some time ago and completely forgot to put back...
                Windows 7 is installed and everything works perfectly. I've even played Quake III for a few minutes to test the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
                  But I'm still getting the same error...
                  I nearly got to the Win98 desktop but I got a BSOD and weird graphical glitches.
                  It don't look like a CPU instability issue. Especially a cap near SATA ports.

But most of the time, "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" means the CPU core F-ed up. (usually need more Vcore when OC'ing or you need to back off on the CPU core clock.)

Looks like there were bus errors.
                  Bus corruption, which possibly would simply fail with false file-not-found errors, all downloads corrupted and the like.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-24-2013, 08:06 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

It seems like the CPU I used in the first place might be one source of the problems that occured :
                    I had tested the board with all kind of S775 CPU, from a Pentium 4 630 to a Core 2 Duo E6750, and always got the same errors.
                    After replacing the capacitor, I've tested the board with a Core 2 Duo E6300 only and as I said, it runs like a charm.
                    So after installing Windows and all that, I figured I could use this board with the best S775 CPU I have : E6750.
                    And bam, the computer would reboot during the loading screen and the "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" came back during the "Startup Repair" loading.
                    I put back the E6300 in place, and it loaded windows normally.
                    So it either is a problem with the E6750 itself, or the board is not totally compatible with it which seem very unlikely as it's the same core as the E6300 with a higher clock and a 1333Mhz bus. It's detected correctly in the BIOS as well.

Too bad I don't have a better S775 motherboard on hand to test it.
                    Last edited by SuperDuty; 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

The funny thing is, Windows 9x don't even have a feature that intentionally reboots itself on a kernel panic-equivalent. I only seen Windows 98 reboot itself on rare occasions, which were likely a memory conflict.

Even with unstable overclock, it's rare to see 98 reboot itself.
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-14-2014, 06:12 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

i have had something like this on an industrial p4 board.
                        are you using 2 matching ram's in the correct socket pair?

Comment

I had a similar ECS 775 motherboard with the same simptom and after many wasted days i was sick of it and by negligence i broke off a capacitor on cpu side.So i started to replace the one i broke ,and it occurred to me to check every capacitors on cpu power zone. To my surprise nearly every cap was way below the rated specs and by visual inspection you'd never guessed. They were TK electrolytic capacitors (Jen Pan).

Comment

^ I don't think Toshin Kogyo is resleeved Jen Pan (they have a Y-shaped vent, not an X-shaped vent), but Jen Pan capacitors are definitely of atrocious quality. Jen Pan makes the TUR (TURD?) series of capacitors you'd find in some Enermax power supplies but I think they might be on some ECS motherboards too. Toshin Kogyo is definite crap, however. I honestly consider their ATWY series worse than NCC's KZGs and their ATWB series worse than KZJs.

Not surprised the capacitors failed without showing it. Hydrogen gas generation is just one product of failure.
                            Last edited by Wester547; 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

So the cap must of been on the voltage line to be that large?

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                ^ I don't think Toshin Kogyo is resleeved Jen Pan (they have a Y-shaped vent, not an X-shaped vent), but Jen Pan capacitors are definitely of atrocious quality. Jen Pan makes the TUR (TURD?) series of capacitors you'd find in some Enermax power supplies but I think they might be on some ECS motherboards too. Toshin Kogyo is definite crap, however. I honestly consider their ATWY series worse than NCC's KZGs and their ATWB series worse than KZJs.

Not surprised the capacitors failed without showing it. Hydrogen gas generation is just one product of failure.
                                Wasn't TK resleeved OST? That's what I know.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                  Wasn't TK resleeved OST? That's what I know.
                                  OST was only listed as one of Toshin Kogyo's Taiwan distributors. I don't think it necessarily means that OST manufacture capacitors for TK, though (but it may mean that TK develop capacitors for OST since OST do list TK capacitor datasheets on their website).

Comment

A bit of an old thread, but I've seen problems on a board with an E5800 (dual core) working fine, but an E8500 (Core 2 Duo) not, despite being compatible. In that case it was down to bent pins on the socket, in case any one else is struggling with a similar issue. All it took was a couple of hours of swearing, a magnifying glass, and a very fine sewing needle

Comment

found on an MCP73VT-PM v2.1 from an emachine ET1831.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by magtec View Post
                                        found on an MCP73VT-PM v2.1 from an emachine ET1831.
                                        Could be fake,as I know Sanyo SE don't bulge. It could be a Sanyo WF cap though,in which case my statement will be invalid.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                        X