Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why have almost all my failed motherboards been ECS brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why have almost all my failed motherboards been ECS brand?

A lot of cheap computers still used the defective 6100 chipset with AM3 and AM3+ CPUs. That chipset might still be used today unless the old stock finally ran out.

Comment

imagine my surprise when i get a ecs board for recap last week and think to myself that the build quality is too good for an ecs.even with leaking samxon gd on it.
      then i notice the fcc id is to nvidia!
      its a real nvidia board with an ecs sticker on it.
      btw this had not died yet and was in for a preemptive recap.belongs to a friend who does not wait for the failure when he knows it is coming.
      the samxons looked fine till i desoldered them.then they stunk and sizzled.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        They are fine. nVidia did fix the problem by then. Nowadays, though, no one really uses nVidia chipsets now that AMD make their own.

yeah, since I always use AMD CPU's the next mobo will definitely be an ATI based gigabyte mobo.

this AMD/nVidia frankenstein will keep the low end nvidia 3d ready GPU, creative sound card, and POS ram, but get re-cased with a cheapo 600w PSU I have laying around and a mid tower case I have in storage after a repaint, then it's becoming nothing more than a windows XP based HTPC for the living room to replace the roku thats out there now.

my current case and fatal1ty 750 psu will get a full atx ATI mobo from gigabyte and a higher frequency dual core AMD cpu, as well as a mid range triple display 3d ready ATI GPU, 8gigs of ddr3 from g.skill, and a higher end, perhaps m-audio, PCIe audio card.

then I just have to redistribute all these hard drives I have in a sensible fashion. these days I think it makes more sense to store your media on a few 1t WD my-passports than to fool with having massive drives in the machine itself. my 320 sata will probably become my OS drive for the new rig, and the 80g sata I have for my OS now will move with the old stuff into the HTPC only set up... from there I just have to pull a bunch of cat-5 and get them all talking to one another efficiently for media sharing.

while everything is apart, I will go ahead and recap the 6100 mobo for good measure...

where do you guys buy your through hole parts? I've been using Mouser, but I wasn't aware there was such a big difference in cap quality by brand. I mostly just repair car stereo amplifiers though...

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
          Next time get ASUS, it is simple as move and you get at the safe side.

I have lost faith to all the others, few months back, an very expensive Gigabyte stopped booting with out reason.
          No more experiments, medium or high priced ASUS boards is all that I am touching those days.
          AS-Rock (which I think was a subdivision of Asus, but split off) seem to be okay. I'm not happy with Gigabyte, myself -- my current motherboard needed a *lot* of bios muckery to run 4G of ram, and 8G seems to be right out unless I want random blue-screens. Board itself is awesome, but the bios leaves a bit to be desired.

ECS is on my list of ZOMGNO, along with First International, Jaton and a couple others. Re-capping won't fix poorly-soldered BGA's or under-spec'd on-board cache.

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          imagine my surprise when i get a ecs board for recap last week and think to myself that the build quality is too good for an ecs.even with leaking samxon gd on it.
          then i notice the fcc id is to nvidia!
          its a real nvidia board with an ecs sticker on it.
          btw this had not died yet and was in for a preemptive recap.belongs to a friend who does not wait for the failure when he knows it is coming.
          the samxons looked fine till i desoldered them.then they stunk and sizzled.
          Well, it might have been an nVidia design/board, but built by ECS. The off-brand companies buy outdated designs and surplus motherboards and use those to base their builds on.

Comment

Originally posted by Blargh523 View Post
            Well, it might have been an nVidia design/board, but built by ECS. The off-brand companies buy outdated designs and surplus motherboards and use those to base their builds on.
            which is what I'm dealing with right now...

I'm now glad most of the HTCP's I've set up for people are based around ready built deskbooks...

[edit] BTW, ASUS GPU's are built by galaxy... just google image search ASUS nVidia GPU's and compare the PCB's to the same model Galaxy GPU's. the only difference is the heatsink, fans, and stickers...
            Last edited by Home_Command_Center; 12-16-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Was/am satisfied with ECS hardware, could always squeeze few more percentage of performance out of it. Still using (not regulary) K7S5A at 166 MHz, with ULTRA CPU settings (only CAPS modded, official BIOS - switching done in Windows)...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                ECS uses the bare minimum of components required,
                Here are 4 brands of nearly identical motherbaords based on the Intel G41 chipset. 3 of them have a heatsink over the NH82801GB chip, but the ECS one does not:
                Attached Files

Comment

^
                  Typical ECS junk
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X