Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a lil advice on recapping ECS HP MCP61PM-HM

Hello,

I got about 4 of these boards that need to be recapped. On all four its the same caps, 9 of them bulged up.
    TK 6.3v 1800uF

Now the boards have another 3 caps:
    TK 16v 1800uF

the 16v's seem to look fine, no bulging or ooze.. Should I be replacing the other 3 caps since they are of the same brand?

Thanks

Re: need a lil advice on recapping ECS HP MCP61PM-HM

Yes, replace all caps of this brand. Look around this site you will find recommended caps: Rubycon, Panasonic (Sanyo), United Chemi-Con and Nichicon. Post a list of all the caps on the board, their uf and Voltage. People here will give you suggested replacements.

Comment

thanks for the reply bigbeark, here is whats on the board:
      TK 6.3v 1800uF
      TK 16v 1800uF
      OST RLS 6.3v 1000uF
      G-LUXON 16v 470uF

And like i said only the 6.3v TK's are bulged but i'll replace all the TK's, how about the other two OST and G-LUXON? and does the height matter when replacing them? I found these on ebay to replace the 1800uF TK's:

OST 6.3V 1800UF

Component Ratings

Capacitance = 1800uf
      Voltage = 6.3V
      Temperature = 105Âșc

Mounting Type

Radial Thru-Hole Snap In

Dimensions

Diameter = 8 mm
      Length = 20.5 mm
      Lead Spacing = 3 mm

and Rubycon MCZ 16V 1800UF LOW ESR for the other TK's, is OST good enough to replace or should I go with one of the ones you suggested?

Comment

Is best to replace all of those you mentioned.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8053
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

ost, g-luxon, and tk are all low-quality. it is also not recommended buying capacitors off of ebay because they use 99% counterfeit. recommended are rubycon, samxon, panasonic, chemi-con, sanyo, and nichicon, along with a few others. here at badcaps.net he carries rubycon and samxon.

Comment

For the 16v TK caps, use these or these
              For the 6.3v TK caps, use these
              For the OSTs, use these
              For the G-Luxons, use these

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

thanks a lot guys, lots of good advice given.. Does it matter if I get a 18mm or 20mm (height)? lead spacing, is that calculated by the diameter? and c_hegge the 16v TK caps you refer to.. the links has two different uF ratings.. the originals were 1800, the ones you link to are 1800 and the other is 330? and thanks for taking the time to drop those links.

Comment

seems like a mistake to me. theres no reason to link to a 330uf cap...unless you want a broken computer

Comment

alright thanks thats what i thought. This might be a stupid question but is there any reason why on all four boards the same 9 TK 6.3v 1800uF have bulged and the rest look ok?

Comment

are they right next to the cpu? then it is because of two things: 1. high-stress apllication, because they are part of the cpu'd vrm (voltage regulator)...2. heat. because it gets hot over there

Comment

Ah no, wait a second.
                        The 330uf capacitor is a polymer capacitor, as opposed to the original electrolytic capacitor.

It is common practice among people with more experience, to use polymer capacitors in the VRM of motherboards, since the bulk capacitance is not important (apparently).
                        One day I'll read an idiots guide as to why

Comment

well they seem to be priced the same, so should i go with the polymer? i think the board has 3 polymers on it right by the bad ones.. can't tell what they are they got LF 820 Ăž 791 written on top.. and shovenose about 5 are situated around the cpu, 2 by the pci-e and 2 by the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by netimports View Post
                            thanks a lot guys, lots of good advice given.. Does it matter if I get a 18mm or 20mm (height)? lead spacing, is that calculated by the diameter? and c_hegge the 16v TK caps you refer to.. the links has two different uF ratings.. the originals were 1800, the ones you link to are 1800 and the other is 330? and thanks for taking the time to drop those links.
                            the 330uF are solid polymer caps. When poly-modding, you lower the capacitance. I have poly-modded this exact model before using 470uF polys, but kc8adu said he's done it with 330s and it works.

Poly caps would probably be better for long term reliablility, and since this is a fairly new board, I would go for it.

The LF polys by the CPU are Nichicon LF. They can stay. On the board I re-capped, I replaced the 6.3v TK caps near the CPU with more LF polys and the others near the northbirdge and RAM with Panny FJ.
                            Last edited by c_hegge; 11-20-2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

so how do you tell what the ratings are on these LF's? If you say they are good for long term reliablity, I'd rather replace them all with poly's.. I can't find any 6.3v here for poly's..can you let me know what uF rating you replaced the 6.3v Tk's with and a place to get them from?

Comment

The second line on them. Those are 820uF. You don't need 6.3v caps in the CPU VRM out, since the voltage there is only the CPU Vcore voltage, which is less than 2v, so a 2.5v cap is ine there (which is probably all those LFs are).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by c_hegge; 11-20-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

so i can replace the 6.3v 1800uF's with the 820uF 2.5v poly's? as you can see my extensive knowledge of caps is overwhelming! I've stared at them and have even touched a few!

Comment

It will be fine with the ones near the CPU, but leave the others as electrolytics.

Comment

will do, thanks for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        the 330uF are solid polymer caps. When poly-modding, you lower the capacitance. I have poly-modded this exact model before using 470uF polys, but kc8adu said he's done it with 330s and it works.

Poly caps would probably be better for long term reliablility, and since this is a fairly new board, I would go for it.

The LF polys by the CPU are Nichicon LF. They can stay. On the board I re-capped, I replaced the 6.3v TK caps near the CPU with more LF polys and the others near the northbirdge and RAM with Panny FJ.
                                        If CPU side of VRM [the 16v VRM caps] cap count is only three I would use the 470uF if going to poly. If you have 4 there 330uF is okay.
                                        - That is consistent with lay-out factory boards I've seen.

Not much point in doing 16v side of VRM if you don't do the Vcore side too.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X