Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethernet Controller 8S661FXM-RZ P4 and mssing cap values

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
    Many Laptop CPU's are more than 22 watts.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27593
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27236

How big are their fans?
    I wont even argue
    I'll just let this picture speak for itself, CPU on the mobo edge, under the small heatsink, chipset under heatsink with fan, this is the mobo I own of which I also mentions how hot it runs, that is a 22w chipset

Attached Files
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I didn't say it wasn't built that way.
      I said it wasn't necessary to build it that way.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

As I said I replaced the heatsink with a copper one, to try to passively cool the whole thing
        But it got over 100°C...
        So I had to put a fan on it in the end anyway. (But still much more silent than the original fan by Intel)

This was the heatsink I bought for it; www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm

I also have a Asus Maximus Formula mainboard, with X38 chipset which is 26.5w according to your numbers
        This has one of those elaborate cooling heatsinks covering both chipsets and the CPU's power MOSFETs
        This thing also gets really hot, does not need forced air cooling but without it it gets up to around 75°C
        And I don't feel ok with that so I have some extra forced air blowing over it...
        Keeping it down at a cozy 50°C...
        What I'm trying to say is that these "recent" Intel chipsets wont be passively cooled, but sure some cooling from another fan, for example CPU fan blowing excess air over it, or case chassi fans providing airflow will let it run fine
        As you know in servers you generally have really smart air ducts, so no surprise there are no fans on the chipsets (which ironically are also super unreliable in mine and most everyone elses experience I know...)
        Attached Files
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I can't see that heat-sink working so great without a fan on top because it blocks it's own air flow.
          One side is going to get air but the other side won't get nuthin'.
          Try one with fins [many thin vs a few thick] and align the fins such that they channel the air flow the full length of the heat-sink.

Fins
          -----------------
          -----------------
          ----------------- <<-------- air flow
          -----------------
          -----------------

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

On an Aussie site....

<---------- ?

Just fitted a fancy "no fan required" Zalman Northbridge cooler to my Asus A8N-SLI's nForce4 chip and the heat transfer is very efficient, so efficient that that darn thing is burning to the touch, and that is with 2 case fans blowing air over it from about 25cm away.

I had to put a small fan on it because it got scary.

The gold coloured Zalman heatsink looked brilliant on there, too bad it needs a fan on top covering it up

These nForce4 chips are unbelievably hot items.

Thing is, the motherboard temp is reporting 38*C when I know that heatsink must be close to 80*C.

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
            Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
            3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
            ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
            Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              As I said I replaced the heatsink with a copper one, to try to passively cool the whole thing
              But it got over 100°C...
              So I had to put a fan on it in the end anyway. (But still much more silent than the original fan by Intel)

This was the heatsink I bought for it; www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm

I also have a Asus Maximus Formula mainboard, with X38 chipset which is 26.5w according to your numbers
              This has one of those elaborate cooling heatsinks covering both chipsets and the CPU's power MOSFETs
              This thing also gets really hot, does not need forced air cooling but without it it gets up to around 75°C
              And I don't feel ok with that so I have some extra forced air blowing over it...
              Keeping it down at a cozy 50°C...
              What I'm trying to say is that these "recent" Intel chipsets wont be passively cooled, but sure some cooling from another fan, for example CPU fan blowing excess air over it, or case chassi fans providing airflow will let it run fine
              As you know in servers you generally have really smart air ducts, so no surprise there are no fans on the chipsets (which ironically are also super unreliable in mine and most everyone elses experience I know...)
              You're right 100C is too hot. Max is 99C for that.
              Intel shows fins lined up as I described here:
              https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...8908b0d46a.pdf
              Also note that using it fan-less assumes a CPU fan is used.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

PCBONEZ; yea
                But this case has no fans
                As in it is a totally passively cooled chassis (well that was what I was aiming for anyway)

I think you opinion of passive cooling differs from mine
                Passive in my world equals no fans

It is a desktop chassi btw, so the fins point North, I think it is a decent enough layout, difficult to find good northbridge heatsinks, that fits the chassis and have a clip for mounting to the Northbridge
                Here is a picture of it, the first guy (or gal) to list all the mods done to this thing and explain how I took this picture will win a cookie of their choosing
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok. I buy a new fan....

Comment

PCBONEZ; yea
                    But this case has no fans
                    As in it is a totally passively cooled chassis (well that was what I was aiming for anyway)

I think you opinion of passive cooling differs from mine
                    Passive in my world equals no fans.
                    Depends on where you apply the term passive.
                    1U & 2U servers have passive CPU coolers yet they have many fans.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

It is a desktop chassi btw, so the fins point North, I think it is a decent enough layout, difficult to find good northbridge heatsinks, that fits the chassis and have a clip for mounting to the Northbridge
                      Here is a picture of it, the first guy (or gal) to list all the mods done to this thing and explain how I took this picture will win a cookie of their choosing
                      That's a cute little box.
                      I think I would put a lower RPM 80mm in the left side center [blowing in at chipset] and try without the chipset heat-sink, but that's just me.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

kiddznet
                        Put you location [at least country] in your profile so people know where you are.
                        It matters when suggesting parts sources.
                        Are you in the US?

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          That's a cute little box.
                          I think I would put a lower RPM 80mm in the left side center [blowing in at chipset] and try without the chipset heat-sink, but that's just me.
                          I would even try fitting a 120mm fan or so in there and cover the ram, nb and cpu all in one. But that kind of copper pin heatsink isn't good for having airflow coming down from the top (or about any direction for that matter). You might even have better luck flipping that little fan around so it pulls air through the pins.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                            I would even try fitting a 120mm fan or so in there and cover the ram, nb and cpu all in one. But that kind of copper pin heatsink isn't good for having airflow coming down from the top (or about any direction for that matter). You might even have better luck flipping that little fan around so it pulls air through the pins.
                            Me too if the top is available for a fan.

If it's going to be on a desk that probably isn't a great idea.
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

kiddznet
                              Put you location [at least country] in your profile so people know where you are.
                              Right...fixed..

Comment

Overseas shipping might kill the deal but sometimes this place is a good source for fans.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...20/Fans/1.html

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

The sides of the chassis are not high enough for a 80mm fan, it is only 68mm high, so even a 60mm fan is a tight fit with the PCB taking up space etc...

I did toy with the idea of LASER cutting a very nice looking airhole at the top and installing a fan there as you say, it of course defeats the purpose of a desktop chassis slightly, but I could live with that...
                                  This setup I use now is quite nice tho, it's also a good test for the capacitors in the Migrus C5 DC/DC PSU.
                                  (The originals hatched so where replaced with Samxons, that poor PSU runs extremely hot, fun to see how long they will last)
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-16-2023, 04:53 AM. Reason: Add URL

Comment

i am using d945gclf2 every day at work. dont really need much more power irfanview batch convert is not very fast though. would be nice to have a mini chassis.
                                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Well... I replaced all the caps ...and... the little bugger doesnt even RUN now.
                                      I've checked everything I can I havent put any caps in backwards or left any out
                                      I got one twitch out of the CPU fan then NADA

Comment

Short?

Comment

Short or bad joint. Check mosfets, they must be under those heatsinks...

Comment

Working...
                                          X