Repair side cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair side cutter

Is there anybody can help me fix my, cheap, Made in China, I already damaged more than10 of them, side cutter or have any idea I can reinforce the strength of the side cutter so it won't happen next time.

Can I weld it back? Or can I use a stick welder to reinforce undamaged one?

if I can't fix it how can I do with it?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capwizard; 03-29-2019, 07:50 AM.

Re: Repair side cutter

What wire were you cutting with them ?
    I would call what you have flush wire cutters, I've also broken an identical pair when I was to lazy to go and grab my proper side cutters. They are a far more substantial tool able to cut and bend all sorts.
    Attached Files

Comment

My situation was very much the same as you. I used it to cut very soft metal. Picture 1

I'm very lucky because I have a habit that I will scavenge all the screws and junks, so I found this...picture 3

How do I combine the two into one?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by capwizard; 03-29-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I think the pivot is virtually riveted or press crimped on... tough to separate and replace without a press. And a new pivot.

I should use proper diagonal cutters (the red tool) versus flush wire cutters (blue tool). I have an Xcelite flush wire cutter and a noname stripper/flush cutter tool that I rarely use...wonder when they will break likewise...

Comment

I use one similar to these Xcelite MS54VN They are for cutting component leads or thin small copper wire, they cost about $24.00 which for me would work out to $1.00 per year, because they last.

The metal in those cutters you are using is so hard it is like glass and as you can see they break very easily.

For larger wires you need larger cutters, so buy a couple different sizes, I have a couple larger side cutters for that (about $5,00 each)
          Attached Files

Comment

Is this what you were trying to cut with those side cutters?
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, everybody, finally I fix it and my cellphone repair friend was passing by here and he's laughing at me: Are you fixing that cheap Chinese-made $2 side cutting piler!

I told him I broke it, I need to fix it myself, it is like my father said to, a person who curiosity opens all the items, me if you broke it you need to pay for it or fix it that's why now I am a repairman.

I have a Swiss made $60 side cutter, ended up it still broke but just at the end tip after I ground it, it just works like new.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by capwizard; 03-29-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I replaced these and within a week I blew up the new pair. I needed to cut the end off a cord for a project, and accidentally cut the wrong cord. The one I cut was plugged in. Oops. Was going to upload a picture, but I can't find them. Anyway, you just gave me an idea.
                Attached Files
                ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

lol - did you have your safety glasses and a condom handy?

btw, they are for cutting fine copper only.
                  for stronger stuff, go on ebay and look for dental wire cutters.
                  those are for cutting stainless-steel!!

Comment

Working...
                  X