Old 09-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #2321
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

well their should also be a "colored citizen" with it,
so yes, totally racist - no white citizen included!!
must be sponsored by Soro's
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #2322
TechGeek
Computer Geek

City & State: Texas
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC@60hZ/200A
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

Got a Fisher RS-2010 stereo receiver on Saturday. Works fine, except for the center of channel and signal strength meters are seized, and all but 4 or 5 bulbs are burned out (19 total). Made the 1st week of February 1980, and it was sitting in a cabin since 1995.

For computer parts, go to Newegg.

For electrical stuff(pushbuttons, capacitors, etc), use Digikey.

Windows 10!? Oh yeah, that sorry excuse of an operating system that is more infuriating than someone crashing your car!

TVs repaired: Toshiba 32AV500U
Stereo Receivers brought back to life: 1(Fisher RS-1056)
Stereos/Stereo receivers to recap: Fisher RS-1056
TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #2323
dmill89
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Harrisburg, PA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
, the color ribbons actually say "Full Color Citizen":

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorCart.jpg (106.2 KB, 52 views)
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #2324
brethin
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Owensboro, KY.

Quote:
bitter much?
brethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #2325
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Was also given 2x Cisco Aironet 1200 PoE access points.
I finally got around to working with these. Configuring them as a normal stand-alone WPA2 access point is easier said than done.....and cisco's documentation is absolutely worthless for configuring in either the CLI (console port) or the web-based GUI....they really were intended to be used in conjunction with a radius server (either with other Cisco hardware or a windows radius server). I did actually get that to work...though it was tricky, it was very cool how it worked, but a gross overkill configuration for what I needed....especially when considering all the additional hardware & software dependencies it created....but I knew there had to be a way to run them using WPA2.... I finally had to consult the interwebs and some british bloke on youtube walked through the process and the obscure setting that was missed everywhere else. Now they work like champs! The reason I wanted these working is the PoE function....I can mount them up in the attic of my house and shop and not have to run power up there.

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #2326
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

Quote:
The reason I wanted these working is the PoE function....I can mount them up in the attic of my house and shop and not have to run power up there.
Why not Ceiling mount them? Less heat stress, better wireless reception, and easier diagnostics if you do such...

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #2327
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
I finally got around to working with these. Configuring them as a normal stand-alone WPA2 access point is easier said than done.....and cisco's documentation is absolutely worthless for configuring in either the CLI (console port) or the web-based GUI....they really were intended to be used in conjunction with a radius server (either with other Cisco hardware or a windows radius server). I did actually get that to work...though it was tricky, it was very cool how it worked, but a gross overkill configuration for what I needed....especially when considering all the additional hardware & software dependencies it created....but I knew there had to be a way to run them using WPA2.... I finally had to consult the interwebs and some british bloke on youtube walked through the process and the obscure setting that was missed everywhere else. Now they work like champs! The reason I wanted these working is the PoE function....I can mount them up in the attic of my house and shop and not have to run power up there.
Cisco makes different firmware for their APs -- you can install a version to work with a WLC or as a standalone access point. I've reflashed all of mine (I have a box full of them) as standalone APs as I don't want to have to run Cisco's WLC software (in a VM).

[Cisco locks up their firmware downloads -- support contract -- but its relatively easy to find what you want/need. Hardest part is getting the correct "file name"]

I replaced my 1200's (a/b/g?) with 1142's (a/g/n) as they are a bit sexier to look at (no external antenna like the 1200s). Plus the 'n' support (I think you can buy a separate radio for the 1200's to get that capability but it adds two more antenna and starts to become too techy looking).

I have a couple mounted on the ceilings of closets in the house. This makes them accessible yet not eyesores. And, it's easy to examine the indicator LEDs to verify their functionality. I installed another in the garage and one more out in the back yard. Each has a separate drop from the switch so I need only use the one(s) that best service a particular "client area". And, of course, I can dial-down the signal level so I'm not talking to the whole neighborhood!

[My switch effectively provides a firewall-per-port so I can keep unwanted traffic off the fabric before it gets a foothold "inside"]

I'm gutting the rest of them and repurposing the cases for BT APs

Keep in mind that you may need to physically access them (console port) at a later time.

Also, Cisco makes a variety of different mounting brackets. I opted to mount my APs to metal Jboxes and so chose the bracket that accommodates that. Also chose to install the dorky little padlocks (which all have the same nominal keying) so the AP can't casually be removed -- to prevent casual damage to the network cable that can't be removed until the AP is separated from the bracket.

[The brackets for each AP series are slightly different. E.g., IIRC, the 1200s have THREE little "nubs" that slide into keyhole slots in the bracket. The 1142's have 4 -- so, the brackets are incompatible. Additionally, the "standard" 1142 bracket is intended for wall mounting so there is not much space for the cable to exit under the bracket -- as would be necessary if Jbox mounting. Hence the need for the "other" bracket style. IIRC, the 1200s have a bracket that sets the AP off the mounting surface so you can snake the cables under the AP.]

You can power them directly via Cisco's 48V wall wart -- if you don't have PoE capability. And, Cisco makes/sells a midspan injector ("Type B" approximator) for folks who don't have PoE switches to exploit the network wiring as a power delivery method. (not "true" PoE but Cisco's approximation thereof).

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Aironet.../dp/B00015FLMQ

It's little more than a big piece of plastic and a few wires connecting the 48VDC power inlet to the RJ45 downstream outlet

Last edited by Curious.George; Yesterday at 06:22 PM..
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #2328
brethin
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Owensboro, KY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
Why not Ceiling mount them? Less heat stress, better wireless reception, and easier diagnostics if you do such...
And nasty hanging crap from the ceiling.
brethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #2329
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
Cisco makes different firmware for their APs -- you can install a version to work with a WLC or as a standalone access point. I've reflashed all of mine (I have a box full of them) as standalone APs as I don't want to have to run Cisco's WLC software (in a VM).

[Cisco locks up their firmware downloads -- support contract -- but its relatively easy to find what you want/need. Hardest part is getting the correct "file name"]

I replaced my 1200's (a/b/g?) with 1142's (a/g/n) as they are a bit sexier to look at (no external antenna like the 1200s). Plus the 'n' support (I think you can buy a separate radio for the 1200's to get that capability but it adds two more antenna and starts to become too techy looking).

I have a couple mounted on the ceilings of closets in the house. This makes them accessible yet not eyesores. And, it's easy to examine the indicator LEDs to verify their functionality. I installed another in the garage and one more out in the back yard. Each has a separate drop from the switch so I need only use the one(s) that best service a particular "client area". And, of course, I can dial-down the signal level so I'm not talking to the whole neighborhood!

[My switch effectively provides a firewall-per-port so I can keep unwanted traffic off the fabric before it gets a foothold "inside"]

I'm gutting the rest of them and repurposing the cases for BT APs

Keep in mind that you may need to physically access them (console port) at a later time.

Also, Cisco makes a variety of different mounting brackets. I opted to mount my APs to metal Jboxes and so chose the bracket that accommodates that. Also chose to install the dorky little padlocks (which all have the same nominal keying) so the AP can't casually be removed -- to prevent casual damage to the network cable that can't be removed until the AP is separated from the bracket.

[The brackets for each AP series are slightly different. E.g., IIRC, the 1200s have THREE little "nubs" that slide into keyhole slots in the bracket. The 1142's have 4 -- so, the brackets are incompatible. Additionally, the "standard" 1142 bracket is intended for wall mounting so there is not much space for the cable to exit under the bracket -- as would be necessary if Jbox mounting. Hence the need for the "other" bracket style. IIRC, the 1200s have a bracket that sets the AP off the mounting surface so you can snake the cables under the AP.]

You can power them directly via Cisco's 48V wall wart -- if you don't have PoE capability. And, Cisco makes/sells a midspan injector ("Type B" approximator) for folks who don't have PoE switches to exploit the network wiring as a power delivery method. (not "true" PoE but Cisco's approximation thereof).

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Aironet.../dp/B00015FLMQ

It's little more than a big piece of plastic and a few wires connecting the 48VDC power inlet to the RJ45 downstream outlet
Feel free to post these firmwares....I'd like to tinker with them. These came with their wall wart, PoE injector, and bracket. It also has the upgrade radio with extra antennas (4x per unit), so they are a little unsightly....closet or attic they go...

I have an old Linksys in the shop attic now....been up there since 2010....and in the summer heat, its gotta be 150* up there....how it still works is beyond me, but it's never missed a beat!!
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #2330
goontron
5000!

City & State: Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13kv

^ How can you people think radios are unsightly?

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

My "Extremest" views: I will spread my knowledge to whoever will receive it. It is their prerogative if they do bad with it.

My backup powerplant doesn't have a microcontroller.
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #2331
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Feel free to post these firmwares....I'd like to tinker with them. These came with their wall wart, PoE injector, and bracket. It also has the upgrade radio with extra antennas (4x per unit), so they are a little unsightly....closet or attic they go...

I have an old Linksys in the shop attic now....been up there since 2010....and in the summer heat, its gotta be 150* up there....how it still works is beyond me, but it's never missed a beat!!
The server that I use to access my archive media is busy copying "solaris update" volumes, currently (so I can't get at the "equipment" archive media).

But, http://sfree.ws/main_group?id=3 is where you want to hunt for "accessible" copies of the files (for the Aironet serieses). Not all versions will be present (they rely on folks to upload stuff) but it is amazing "collection" (for various pieces of Cisco kit).

A search for "<whatever> site:sfree.ws" is probably easier than trying to browse the site to find what you're after.

AP will have the firmware that was (factory) installed printed on the radio (module). What's actually inside may be different (use the Console or web UI to get the actual name/version).

There's a system behind the naming. E.g., http://sfree.ws/model?main_group_id=...&model_id=1300 is the page for my 1142 (1140 series). Most recent release tends to be near the top (I think you can sort out how the numbers are "ordered").

First link (from there -- again, 1140 series) brings you to a page that lists all of the image files for the 15.3.3-JD9(ED) release. On that page, you will see that the files are named:
<series>-<type>-tar.<release>.tar
So, "c1140-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD9.tar" is the 1140 series, 15.3.3-JD9 release. The "k9w7" refers to "Wireless LAN" (standalone access point) firmware; "k9w8" is "Wireless LAN LWAP (lightweight access point -- requires a WLC); "rcvk9w8" is a recovery image.

These "codes" will be used consistently throughout the series. So, "c1140-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD8.tar" is the Wireless LAN firmware for the 1140 series release 15.3.3-JD8.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #2332
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goontron View Post
I've been "on a mission" to hide ALL of the electronics residing in the "living portion" of the house -- including thermostats, dvd players, "stereos", doorbells, speakers, etc. (TVs are hard to hide). So, lots of things on (or IN!) ceilings, closets, inside walls, etc. Likewise all of the associated wall warts/bricks.

But, I probably have an order of magnitude more "things" than most folks so there's a bigger incentive to do this!

Last edited by Curious.George; Yesterday at 09:37 PM..
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #2333
goontron
5000!

City & State: Wyoming
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 13kv

^ Fair enough. The peak power usage my home has achieved is 4kW, so i don't really have much to try and hide.....

Last edited by goontron; Yesterday at 10:01 PM..
goontron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #2334
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
^ Fair enough. The peak power usage my home has achieved is 4kW, so i don't really have much to try and hide.....
Its not the amount of power but, rather, the number of "consumers". There often aren't enough "normal" (duplex) outlets in a room to connect all of the various bits that need to be line powered!

E.g., a thermostat draws very little power -- but takes up space on a wall. Ditto a doorbell. Speakers draw nothing unless in use -- but don't "store" themselves when idle. Ditto DVD players, stereos, telephone/ans machine, etc.

I've taken to powering everything over the network so I can kill two birds with one stone: providing the "service" and the power for that service!

The CO/smoke detectors present a special challenge... not sure I want to risk tinkering with them on the off chance that I screw them up!
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #2335
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
rofl @ "black citizen" written on the printer ribbon.
Quote:
well their should also be a "colored citizen" with it

Thanks for this, guys - it really made my day yesterday and I had a pretty terrible day. (Partial intestinal blockage due to eating some rather harsh to digest foods.... no it wasn't the nettle soup, just FYI. Was in a lot of pain yesterday. All better today, though ).

Last edited by momaka; Today at 12:08 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #2336
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
But, http://sfree.ws/main_group?id=3 is where you want to hunt for "accessible" copies of the files (for the Aironet serieses). Not all versions will be present (they rely on folks to upload stuff) but it is amazing "collection" (for various pieces of Cisco kit).
Well so much for that...... I tried the FW on one of the spares in the junk box (base models missing power supplies), but good lab rats. Using the FW for the model, it bricked it. Can't even access it through console anymore.
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #2337
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

Quote:
Not me!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23905607_10214981152911659_1940228278999129088_n.jpg (31.2 KB, 4 views)
ratdude747 is online now   Reply With Quote