Fiber bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiber bridge?

I've been asked to deploy a small LAN at a local non-profit. As there are several "remote" buildings, I'll have to run optical fiber to connect them (reliability).

Normally, I'd just cable together a pair of switches and that would be the end of it. But, here, they are concerned with power consumption and have few nodes in each building. The idea of installing a fiber-capable switch just to get that interface comes with a high price tag (in terms of power consumption).

So, any experience with Gbe/fiber "bridge" appliances (aka "media converters")? Or, will I have to roll my own?

Re: Fiber bridge?

that's strange, i'm sure a laser running at a few mW is far less than the current through standard ethernet.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      that's strange, i'm sure a laser running at a few mW is far less than the current through standard ethernet.
      It's not the power for that SINGLE interface but, rather, using a fiber capable switch (instead of a smaller, more efficient NON-fiber capable switch) just to get the fiber interface.

Single-link, unmanaged media converters are more acceptable in terms of power budget. But, less likely for me to encounter in my "rescues" so that would require them to PAY for kit with very limited (to them) perceived value. ("Why can't we just run a cable??")

Comment

https://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/...43_MC220L.html
        Max power consumption 3.95W.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          Excellent! Thanks!

Now the trick will be to get them to ante-up $100 to buy two sets...

But, at least I can ask my other contacts for anything similar sitting on a shelf!

Comment

Working...
          X