Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Misery of Vestel Corrupt Firmware - Many Questions! (17MB95M - Hitachi 42HYT42U)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Misery of Vestel Corrupt Firmware - Many Questions! (17MB95M - Hitachi 42HYT42U)

Hitachi 42HYT42U, Vestel Mainboard 17MB95M, Panel - VES420UNDL:

Looked at this 6 months ago, booted to Hitachi Logo and with flashing blue and red Leds then back to standby red.

Checked PSU etc, caps, and concluded like everyone else here and had another thread 6 months ago that it was corrupt firmware.

Bought 2 replacement boards of ebay, 1 did the same, the other didn't go back to standby after logo just carried on flashing blue and red. Got one refunded.

So gave up. 6 Months later decided to look again and bought another board as only 8£ on ebay. - Same problem as beginning.

Spent all day today researching this.

Bricked 3 boards doing firmware updates. First 2 used top USB and then found a thread saying this bricks it, don't know if thats correct.

Third used bottom but still bricked and then found someone saying comment out the MBOOT section as then you won't risk bricking the bootloader chip U10.

First question is why it was bricked, lots of people saying the Mboot is the same for all updates?

So last board I did many updates just commenting out the Mboot.

Most just result in recurring bootloop of Hitachi logo.

One gives solid blue led with backlight but blank screen, does that mean it has booted successfully? It was for 50" panel not 42 so presumed wrong panel info for it, resulting blank screen!

Another booted to blue led but no backlight or picture!

Can some of the core updates not have worked because they need matching Mboot? How relevant is it?

Before I started any flashing from the USB I swapped the U10 chips on to opposite of 2 boards and neither did anything, totally behaved like bricked, no leds flashing! So soldered them back and then they worked again!

Why is that? The boards were for the same tv!

There is a thread on here with a 32" Toshiba update for same Mainboard and then someone said can use on any 17MB95M board if you delete Panel file but how do you do do that?

I cant extract the bin file, people say you can on linux but what about windows?

I could setup a linux laptop as last resort.

Another thread someone posted an Auto script that saved the Nand so I now have a copy but its in several bin files not the one?

How do you put that back on the tv, do I have to repack as MB95 bin?

I got that off 2 boards before bricking one of them but on both boards the conf file would not read on my pc and was said to be corrupted - maybe the reason the tv did not boot????

Can I unbrick the other boards with a cheap ebay SPI programmer? I only have the Mboot saved off 2 of them though and seeing as when I swapped chips neither booted it seams they are tied somehow???

My understanding from todays research is that the SPI with Mboot just loads the Nand.

And that corrupt SPI means bricked and no standby leds and have to unsolder to reprogram and that the fact all my boards had hitachi logo which I presume is loaded off the NAND??? means all of them had corrupt main nand?

Even if I found the correct firmware is it useless with out new NAND, is nand chip knackered now?

Can I just solder new nand and then flash from USB if U10 SPI working?

As you can see many questions so I appreciate anybody shedding light for me, I don't think I will now fix this but I spent 8 hours researching this and trying many firmwares, I really would like to understand what is going on!

Is there a generic firmware for this board?

I could not get far on the Vestal site as not English. It asks for serial no, but which one is the serial no.? I found another site that listed serial no.s for some boards but not the MB95 and they did work for finding a download.

I got another download off there someone linked for MB9x ! But it bootloops and again I thought it too risky to use the Mboot that was with it!

Many thanks, Reesy.

Re: The Misery of Vestel Corrupt Firmware - Many Questions! (17MB95M - Hitachi 42HYT4

One more thing, tried the freezing method on the NAND and SPI on all boards and made no difference to booting!

Comment

Re: The Misery of Vestel Corrupt Firmware - Many Questions! (17MB95M - Hitachi 42HYT4

There are many variations of the software. Even the same make and model no TV can have different internals including different panels so software needs to match to work. There is some variation in mboots as they contain instructions on where in the nand to load software so they do need to match somewhat. Also some versions of the software I think are encrypted and the mboot contains decryption keys.

Very helpful is to set up a serial connection to the TV using the rx tx pins on the scart connection on the board. Then you can see in real time what is happening during boot up on the TV and where it is failing.

Do you still have the original main board? If you haven't already overwritten the software on it it may still have the panel info you need which you could combine with working software from another board.

Comment

Its over written and bricked! I have one board left not bricked which is identical from this exact tv, all matching no's but thats thats the one I've been overwriting the main nand (NOT over written the U10 though). What I have though is backups from this board and another but it backed it up as seperate BIN files:

ENV.bin,
        KL.bin,
        MBOOT.bin,
        RFS.bin,
        VEN.bin.

There was also CONF.bin but was corrupted on the USB on both times from each board and could not be read/deleted or copied so had to format stick to use again.

Do know what I can do with these files to read them or repack to the M95_en.bin?

Are they just what is inside the M95_en.bin.

These files amount to 107MB and the M95_en.bin is 108MB or some Toshiba ones are 57MB.

The corrupted CONF.bin was 9MB.

Any advice to use these files to put back on the still bootable board or use panel info into the M95_en.bin that actually boots but blank?

The one that boots up successfully to blue led and stays on is from:

MB9x_Faz3_V362H_Core

From vestel site. That came with no MBOOT or Auto update, I just dropped it in place of another one with Auto file and commented out the MBOOT.

Many thanks.

Comment

MBOOT.bin: contents of the spi (U10) chip (mboot)
          ENV.bin: environment variables

The following are dumps of the partitions on the nand ic:
          KL.bin: Linux Kernel
          RFS.bin: Linux Root File System
          VEN.bin: I think is vendor information related to the specific TV brand - not absolutely sure
          CONF.bin: Configuration specific to your TV. Panel info etc is stored here.

The CONF partition is the main one you need to get things up and and running. I'm not sure what you mean by it being corrupted. You can't even copy the file?

Comment

I had a feeling you would say that was the important one. Each time I tried backing up to the USB, when I put the USB in my Computer it would say error reading file or unexpected handle when trying to read/copy or delete only that file, maybe thats why the tv wasn't booting? Same on both boards everytime I tried!

Do you know how I can unpack the M95_en.bin on a windows computer or pack these backups into one? Do I have to use linux and FS squash? Can we write the info in ourselves for the panel.

On another thread on this forum reecyburger said he just deleted the panel info and updated to any MB95 board:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...shiba+32w1333b

I'm not sure though if he meant the original was left intact on the NAND or if the system can detect the panel settings?

Cheers.

Comment

Not sure what reecey meant about deleting panel info. Hopefully he can clarify. Would make sense to update only the other partitions and leave CONF intact (assuming it's not the corrupted part) which would involve commenting out some lines in the update script.

I don't know why your CONF.bin files are corrupted. It's possible the script you used for dumping the partitions is not quite right for your board as it needs to be adapted based on different partition sizes. I think the correct partition sizes may be in the ENV.bin so if you upload that and the nand dump script I could check if they match. It sounds like you've already overwritten the config data on all matching boards now though is that right? So it might be too late to recover it.

Comment

Yes I think I've screwed it all up! No conf on any of them. Here is the Nand dump script from another thread on this site. And my env.bin, I renamed it .zip buts its not zipped as this forum will only let you upload certain file types so just rename it back to .bin.

Do know about viewing/unpacking the bins please?

I'm thinking of trying one of those universal controller boards on ebay on the panel if nothing can be done with these boards, has anyone here tried them?

Maybe more reliable than having the vestal board keep corrupting!

Can I use this programmer for the bricked SPI's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CH341A-Se...Nre4mBD1vOWwUw

I realise I still won't have the NAND but maybe handy another time.

Cheers.
                Attached Files

Comment

What about getting the panel info from another model tv firmware using this panel? But I searched alot and did not find any 42" firmwares!

Cheers.

Comment

Is there a chance the first 2 boards which got bricked didn't write over all the NAND as well? I could try moving the working SPI to these boards and see if I can take a dump.

I can do it quickly with hot air.

Cheers.

Comment

I realised you have been having fun with a vestel already in another thread, did you try the SPI programmer, its the same I linked above. I will try to figure out connecting the board via scart.

Comment

Yes I spent way too much time struggling with one of these boards a year or two ago. The spi programmer you linked will work. I used pretty much the same one.

Most likely if you tried to update the software on the boards the config info is wiped. Most of the update scripts start by erasing the nand chip.

The dump script you posted (I wrote it) is wrong for your board. The length of the CONF partition doesn't match.

I think I have one 42" panel file. What panel do you have? (number from sticker on the panel itself)

Comment

I see, I was going round in circles for about 10 hours into the night last night. I missed alot of crucial information before it was too late. Its hard to get everything from every thread. In future I will ask for help before I damage things!

Its a VES420UNDL-2D-N03

How do you know the partition lengths and that?

Is there a guide here about connecting the scart? What software do you use to monitor the board?

Cheers.

Comment

maybe the person in the last two posts in this thread can advise you?
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...estel+firmware

Comment

Partition lengths I found from the ENV.bin file you provided.

You need to get/make a cable to connect a serial cable (prob some kind of usb to serial adapter) to pins 10 and 12 of the scart connector (tx and rx). I butchered up an old scart cable for the purpose. Software is any serial terminal program. Hyperterminal on windows or gtkterm on linux maybe.

I don't have that exact panel sorry.

Comment

Hi, the I procured another board after the seller refunded me for the last one. So now I have one I should be able to get the panel file from. I had a look at the partition info file but I'm not sure what to change, can you explain please?

It states the config is 16000k.

Are the other lengths correct for the other files?

Is the panel file in the conf file?

How do I put the panel file in the update I have for the 50" panel which the board appears to boot on please?

I attached the partition info off this board and your script.

Is it possible you could separate the lines in your script please, some I could separate but others I wasn't sure where the new command started as the whole file is one long string.

Many thanks.

Comment

Again I renamed to .zip so could upload.

Cheers.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Is this new board the correct one for the TV model and panel? But it still doesn't boot up with this board? A little confused now what we're trying to do here. Why doesn't this board now work?

I realised the partition size from the environment info is not the one we need. A UBIFS volume is written into the CONF partition and the size of that is what we need. That's not contained in the environment info and I'm not sure how to get it without the console. I'm now not even sure if that's really the reason your file is unreadable. It may work to just overshoot the size and end up with a file with empty space on the end. Worth a try.

I need to experiment a bit to figure out the right commands to make a script but have to dig out some of my own boards to do it and am limited on time right now. Sorry.

Comment

Hi, yes this is the correct board. I am myself confused as none of these boards will boot. I have tested them all on a bench power supply as well with the same result.

All boards do this first:

Turns on when power applied with blue/red flashing and hitachi logo and then back to red standby.

Then this board will do same again when power button pressed but after logo carrys on flashing blue/red.

One other board did that, pressing power it will show logo again.

Other boards go back to red standby and can be made to come on again.

Only way a board will stay on is with flashing the Firmware for the 50" Screen on this board.

It will boot to blue led and backlight on but after hitachi logo it is blank.

Do you think its really possible I have 5 faulty boards?

Tried without LVDS cable and backlight not connected and on bench power supply! They all do the same thing.

I thought we could get the panel file from this board and put with the 50" firmware that boots?

I also ordered a universal board but from china to try out.

I appreciate your busy and thanks for helping.

I'll hook up a cable to the scart later and report back.

Cheers.

Comment

Does seem strange. Best to get on the console to see what's happening.

Comment

Working...
                                        X