Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emachines - Intel D102GGC2 board

Hi Folks,

A friend has passed me a lemon, and I'm undecided whether to ditch it for an exact new board from Ebay , replace the bad caps or a complete recap. The board has mostly Chemicon KZG's and a few small Ruby's. There are 2 bulging caps 6.3v/820uf between the ATX conn. and the ram slots, the only other is a single 6.3v/3300uf near the northbridge. The junk Bestec also has a bad cap on one of the outputs, so it looks like the cause. He bought used so who knows for sure when the caps all went bad. A new PSU is on the way since I will not waste my time with a Bestec. Searching the forums here it seems the KZG's are not reliable. But how so? What makes them unreliable?

If a full recap is recommended, I've used Panasonic FC and Nichicon HM & HE in the past, are they still on the good list?

Here's a list of caps above 680uf :

(1) KZG 3300/6.3 - bulging
    (4) KZG 1000/16v
    (15)KZG 820/6.3 - 2 bulging
    (5) 6Z1 821/2.5 - poly , red lettering ..sorry can't tell brand , these are on the output for the cpu vrm looks like.

BTW the pc will POST although sometimes it wont , so I feel it's fixable.

Your thoughts ?

TIA

Re: Emachines - Intel D102GGC2 board

Should be totally fixable. You can probably leave the polys and rubycons in place, but the Chemi-Con KZGs all have to go. Recapping it should be fairly cheap, even a complete recap.

For the 3300uF caps, use these
    For the 1000uF 16v caps, use these
    For the 820uF caps, use these.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Nichicon HM would also work, but don't use HE or panny FC, since the ESR is way too high for use on motherboards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thx Mate,

Its been a spell since I visited here. I have been using this list for quite some time. Knock on wood , nothing has come back blown up. Thanks for the links to the Ruby's , makes it easy to pick them up when they are being offered by the House. Saved me time, nice indeed.

Cheers from Texas

Comment

Not all on that list are good for motherboard use. The ones on that list are all low ESR, but what you really want is super low ESR, and the only reliable series which are low enough are Ruby MBZ and MCZ, Nichicon HM and HN, Panasonic FJ and FL, Samxon GD and GC and Sanyo WG.

Comment

Originally posted by REMorgan View Post
            (5) 6Z1 821/2.5 - poly , red lettering ..sorry can't tell brand , these are on the output for the cpu vrm looks like.
            if they look like the ones in this photo, they're Fujitsu polys. no need to replace those.

(ignore the red boxes.. random pic i found on google)
            http://www.overclock.net/attachments...l-location.jpg

edit:
            15x 820uF 6.3V KZG -> 1000uF 6.3v Samxon GC (8mm)
            4x 1000uF 16V KZG -> 1000uF 16v Samxon GC (8mm)
            1x 3300uF 6.3V KZG -> 3300uF 6.3v Samxon GD (10mm)

total of 8.21$. totally worth it, even if it's just an entry level board (especially since it still shows some signs of life)
            Last edited by Scenic; 03-07-2011, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Just a FYI on your lemon.
              http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-029352.htm

One of the few ATI chipset based "Intel series" boards. If you're stuck with the emachines BIOS, you can crossflash this board to the Intel reference bios. It adds a few more features but nothing awesome.

You'll need to make a BIOS recovery disk, and remove the "BIOS Config" jumper. Sorry I don't have one of these boards still in front of me to check exactly. If you actually want to try this I still have the disk image somewhere.

You can post with a Cedar Mill chip with the Intel BIOS, but unfortunately the 3.2Ghz P4 I had it still hung after post =(

Just a FYI for if you get this working. This board is useful if you have an unused 775 Prescott laying around.

Comment

I am posting from that board right now.

It was a gift to me a year ago. It came with a nice black case, a P4 3.06GHZ HT, ATI X300 PCI-E, an LG DVD-RW and 512MB DDR2 ram.

This is how it looks today. I added a Jou Jye 460Watt psu (recapped and modded), 80GB IDE WD 7200, 1GB DDR2 667MHZ, and changed the ATI X300 with a Gigabyte 6600 GTS.

I am worried a bit about the KZGs but I am not comfortable with the idea of preventive recap on motherboards.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well I got busy and forgot to post back the results of the repair. Taking c hegge's advice I used MCZ's to replace all the KZG's with success. The guy is still very happy with the repair.

Thanks to everyone.

c hegge , thanks for the "super low " ESR cap list for motherboards. Very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                    I am posting from that board right now.

It was a gift to me a year ago. It came with a nice black case, a P4 3.06GHZ HT, ATI X300 PCI-E, an LG DVD-RW and 512MB DDR2 ram.

This is how it looks today. I added a Jou Jye 460Watt psu (recapped and modded), 80GB IDE WD 7200, 1GB DDR2 667MHZ, and changed the ATI X300 with a Gigabyte 6600 GTS.

I am worried a bit about the KZGs but I am not comfortable with the idea of preventive recap on motherboards.
                    Well, the KZG caps stood up to their reputation... and failed!

Today I opened the case to take out a ddr2 dimm to test another motherboard and noticed a bulging 3300uF 6.3V 10mm KZG...

There are also 4x1000uF 16V 8mm KZG caps, not bulging.

I am thinking of recapping all of them.

The other caps are poly, Panasonic, Rubycon and Chemicon KZE.

The computer is working like nothing happened. In fact it is my main rig and I am posting from it right now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

There are also 4x1000uF 16V 8mm KZG caps, not bulging.

I am thinking of recapping all of them.
                      If you are going to recap the non bulging KZGs, can you measure the uF and ESR? I know they have a repuation for failing with bloating, but AFAIK, no one has measured them to definitely say the uF is low or ESR is super high.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've got an HP in the office right now with (at least) two bad Rubycons on it. 2 are bulged (with one leaking pretty bad). It was working fine until just now (which is actually why I stopped by). Now, the BIOS/logo screen comes up and the system turns off. Yours will probably finish dying soon too. :-/

Details for anyone interested: HP Stingray board (ie: Asus P4SD-LA with custom HP ROM and such), caps are Rubycon 6.3V 1800uf

Back to the topic at hand... I'd expect it to die. It's probably safest (and cheapest) to re-cap it now before you run the risk of something else on the board being damaged.

Comment

^Bad rubycon? odd. CHeck for bad caps in your PSU, since I can't inagine anything else that would kill a rubycon (unless it's an SFF roasting oven)

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            If you are going to recap the non bulging KZGs, can you measure the uF and ESR? I know they have a repuation for failing with bloating, but AFAIK, no one has measured them to definitely say the uF is low or ESR is super high.
                            Will do.

Meanwhile I just measured 3 KZJ bloated caps. They use the same electrolyte with the KZGs and are also considered unreliable. Those are 6.3V 1500uF and came out from a Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP.

1)esr: 58ohm capacity: 1.3uF
                            2)esr: 1.4ohm c: 321uF
                            3)esr: 32ohm c: 3.5uF

Comment

I just noticed that this motherboard follows the Asus color code of the capacitors' polarity! The white marking is where the positive leg of the cap goes!

But it's an Intel! What does this mean????

Btw I took the bulging 3300uF 6.3V KZG cap out and tested it with my ESR Micro meter:
                              3390uF esr: 0.02
                              Last edited by goodpsusearch; 02-08-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

^
                                It means that intel used @$U$ as an OEM, as opposed to Foxconn.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                  ^
                                  It means that intel used @$U$ as an OEM, as opposed to Foxconn.
                                  No it doesn't.
                                  There is no standard.
                                  They can flip it anytime they want.
                                  You see the E210882 written on the board?
                                  That is the UL number for Intel Desktop boards.
                                  That means it isn't a Foxconn build either.
                                  Foxconn's UL is E219542. [At least on their Dells.]
                                  See page 108.
                                  https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...cf1c16f2d0.pdf
                                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

I replaced all the KZG at this board.

For 1x Chemicon KZG 3300uF 6.3V (bulging) I used 1x Nichicon HM 3300uF 6.3V

For 4x Chemicon KZG 1000uF 16V 8mm esr 0.021 ripple 1,870 I used 4x Panasonic FM 1000uF 16V 10mm esr 0.019 ripple 2180.

I also tested the 4 non bulging KZGs and the esr showed 0.01-0.02, so they hadn't failed yet.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Btw I took the bulging 3300uF 6.3V KZG cap out and tested it with my ESR Micro meter:
                                      3390uF esr: 0.02

It's bulging!!! How can it test even somewhat close to specification!!!

Comment

Not surprising really. Caps fail a number of different ways.
                                        They bulge when the electrolyte breaks down and starts forming gasses inside the can.
                                        The electrolyte can break down from outside causes or just because the formula isn't stable.
                                        If it's bulged and uF and ESR are still good that suggests the electrolyte formula failing is the 'root' cause.
                                        In other words the chemistry goes bad and causes the other problems instead of vice versa.
                                        [That's been the suspected reason KZG/KZJ go bad for quite a while.]
                                        It isn't likely to stay in spec much longer.
                                        The pressure in the can will eventually create small leaks and it will dry-out.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-14-2012, 10:18 PM.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X