Gateway moboard won't post after recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway moboard won't post after recap

I have a Gateway GT5420E motherboard that I just got back from recapping. The caps were open and leaking or bulging.

Anyway, the board won't post. No video, just VERY loud case fans. I have pulled or unplugged everything except the CPU and the 2 power connectors to the motherboard. I am sort of new here, just posted one question before I sent the board in for repair.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is for a customer of mine Who Wants Their Computer Back

Re: Gateway moboard won't post after recap

Take pictures. I want to see the underneath of the board also specifically your soldering joints and the top of the board to see if you got the polarity right. As well, list the caps that were there before and what your replaced them with. Brand and series.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Sorry I should have stated I sent it to Badcaps.net for recapping.

Comment

Then it was tested and working when it left. I know TC checks them before they get shipped back.

I'd suspect the PSU isn't working properly. What (make,model) is the PSU and do you have another to substitute for testing?

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Yeah I'm sure it was tested. I also visually inspected the board and didn't see anything obvious (physical damage to components, damaged traces, ect.)

I tried another known good power supply, also took the power supply out of the system and tried it in another system to verify it being good. Worked fine.

Comment

Sounds like you've done all the right steps, so I think it's time to pop the CPU and re-seat it.
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Done. I pulled the CPU, checked all pins as well as the CPU socket, plugged CPU back in, still no go.

Comment

Hmmmm...? Maybe a BIOS reset? Move the jumper. I don't know if yours requires just to move the jumper to the other pins for a few seconds, or if you have to move it, power-cycle, then move it back.

EDIT: If this doesn't work, then you might want to contact TC and see what he says.

Toast
                Last edited by Toasty; 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

I tried it both ways. Still....

I appreciate your help here.

Comment

Do you have another CPU?
                    I don't know what happened before you sent the motherboard for repair, but it's possible the CPU was damaged then.
                    Last edited by seanc; 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I'll have to see what I can find.

Mockingbird, Toasty, and Seanc, I appreciate your help. I'll try again tomorrow.

Comment

You're welcome! Do post back when you get it squared away.
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Is the PC speaker connected, if it is not on board? Perhaps there's a beep sequence that will shed some light on the issue. You said you already re-seated the CPU. Re-seating the memory and graphics card (if you have one) is also a good idea.

Also - if I recall correctly, I once ran into an older gateway that wouldn't post without a PS/2 keyboard connected. I don't mean an error message on post, I mean it did not post at all. I remember this because it was at my friend's house, and he had only USB keyboards.
                          Last edited by yyonline; 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Check if there's a short between the board and the case. Remount it. Also make sure your power supply is good. CPUs don't fail very often unless they're damaged by other hardware so the chances of it being defective is slim to none.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                            X