Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic TC-P50G10. 6 blinks to 7 blinks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P50G10. 6 blinks to 7 blinks.

My Panasonic recently went out and had a 6 blink code. Per the manual, 6 blink code means SS, SC, SU or SD board. It turns on, shows no picture blinks 6 times then turns off. I read the most common issue is the SC board so I purchased one and switched them out but the TV went from a 6 blink code to a 7 blink code. The manual states that is an issue with the SU SD or SC board. I'm wondering why it went from 6 to 7. Did I buy a bad SC board or is it just the SU SD? Is there any tutorial I can use to test the SC board? I have a multi meter but pretty new to this stuff.

Re: Panasonic TC-P50G10. 6 blinks to 7 blinks.

Test the su and sd boards this way:
    Remove the 2 screws from them to the sc board.
    Take a paper plate and slip it in betwine the sc and the board youre testing.
    Put your meter in continuity mode( beep when probes touch).
    Put a probe, dont matter which one, on the metal tab of a screw hole.
    Take the other probe and slowly rake across the pins of the flat ribbon connectors. Flip up the tab to test the back side.
    If you hear a beep the su or sd you are testing it has failed. It has a short on the ic chip.
    If this is not clear enough to follow, there are videos on buffer board testing on youtube.

Comment

Ok tested the pins of the ribbon connectors and no beeps. Should I also be testing the needles circled on the picture I attached?

Comment

No, should be fine. Check sc2 on the sc board. One probe on each pin. A beep longer than 4 seconds is bad.

Comment

Ok, I grounded to a screw hole with black and test both SC2 probes with red and one of the SC 2 probes has a continuous beep.

Comment

Just go across both pins with a probe on each one, dont ground it.

Comment

Ok there is no beep.

Comment

Assuming you installed everything correctly you may have got a bad replacement SC. Sometimes SC2 connector doesn't show a short but check Q661 for shorts between any of its pins. Good idea to do this on any replacement board before even installing it. If there's any faults Q661 will show it.

Comment

Q661 does not show a short.

Comment

So I tested my old SC board against my new SC board and have discovered that all the transistors on my NEW board are good but Q441 on my OLD board is shorted. So I at least now know my old SC board is bad.

Comment

Attaching manual.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, unusual on your old board to have a fault not originating with Q661 but Q441 shorted explains why it was 6 blinks as that is part of the energy recovery circuit. Not sure why your new board is doing SOS7. Double check everything is connected right including reseating the ribbon from the A board - make sure it's in all the way.

You can isolate the SC board from the SU/SD by disconnecting the three black connectors to them and removing the four big screws that join them to the SC, then short the two pins of the jumper point SC50 together using a hard disk jumper or something else. You can power it up that way and see if it stays on or still does a blink code. Don't run it for long like that. Also note that there's a little cap near the SU/SD board that can hold about 100V for ages after powering it up like this. I got bitten by it a few times.

If still doing a blink code you need to start testing voltages on the sc board.

Comment

I would also check the power supply board, as many times it happens that SC board failures take out a fuse and maybe some transistors on the power supply.
                          I don't remember the SOS circuitry right now, but I imagine that in case of no power supply to the SC board, the SOS acts as SC failed or is missing, hence SOS7.

Comment

Originally posted by tn245 View Post
                            Wow, unusual on your old board to have a fault not originating with Q661 but Q441 shorted explains why it was 6 blinks as that is part of the energy recovery circuit. Not sure why your new board is doing SOS7. Double check everything is connected right including reseating the ribbon from the A board - make sure it's in all the way.

You can isolate the SC board from the SU/SD by disconnecting the three black connectors to them and removing the four big screws that join them to the SC, then short the two pins of the jumper point SC50 together using a hard disk jumper or something else. You can power it up that way and see if it stays on or still does a blink code. Don't run it for long like that. Also note that there's a little cap near the SU/SD board that can hold about 100V for ages after powering it up like this. I got bitten by it a few times.

If still doing a blink code you need to start testing voltages on the sc board.
                            Went through and reseated all the ribbon cables and tightened all screws, then tried jumping it but received the same 7 blink code.

Originally posted by WildPuppy View Post
                            I would also check the power supply board, as many times it happens that SC board failures take out a fuse and maybe some transistors on the power supply.
                            I don't remember the SOS circuitry right now, but I imagine that in case of no power supply to the SC board, the SOS acts as SC failed or is missing, hence SOS7.
                            I actually thought it was the power supply at the very beginning and so I purchased a new one since they were pretty cheap but it turned out to be something else. I did check the transistor on the new one though and those came back good.

Comment

Now I know tvtimmy stated that those plugs I circled in my picture above should be fine but is it possible that they are messed up which is why I'm getting the 7 blinks? I'm thinking its the SU/SD boards but I just don't know.

Comment

Did you take out the 4 screws for the bufferboards, un latch the 3 black connectors, and short the 2 pins at sc50 , then turn on?
                                If the tv stays on and the green led on the sc board stays lit the sc board is good. Only run it like this for 30 seconds MAX.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                                  Did you take out the 4 screws for the bufferboards, un latch the 3 black connectors, and short the 2 pins at sc50 , then turn on?
                                  If the tv stays on and the green led on the sc board stays lit the sc board is good. Only run it like this for 30 seconds MAX.
                                  Hi tvtimmy, yeah, just did again too to make sure and still same result. Clicks, LED comes on, flashes 7 times and turns off.

Comment

Adding photos of the TV.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Test voltages at test points on SC board. VSUS, VAD, VSCN.

Comment

Originally posted by tn245 View Post
                                        Test voltages at test points on SC board. VSUS, VAD, VSCN.
                                        Tested them:

VSCN 40
                                        VSUS 198
                                        VAD 185

Manual says that's right where they should be.

Comment

Working...
                                        X